Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Veridian's Writings and Grumblings... (Read 23821 times)
Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Re: Veridian's Writings and Grumblings...
Reply #25 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:25am

I had to post the TMI in another site... Couldn't hold it in!!  Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #26 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:29am

I shall have to go see what my ebilness has wrought then!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:32am

It's in the adult section there... It's TMI even for their main board!!  Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #28 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 1:08am

I have seen and encouraged you shamelessly.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 1:16am

I saw it, will reply when the guys go to bed, my son isn't playing his games now and will see what I post...  Smiley

I'll guess red or blue in this thread. Talking about colors is PG 13, right??? Wink

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 1:26am

Oh, I got the earplugs!! I tried them out already, they REALLY cut down on the amount of sound that I hear!!

And my friend JP in Facebook just told me he'd thwap me if I dared send any of my work to Harlequin...  Smiley

Eh, I was thinking more along the lines of Dell or Zebra books anyway...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #31 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 1:53am

Both excellent choices! And yeah, talking about colors is PG-13 and not likely to wig anyone out or corrupt the innocent.
I prefer black myself... mmmmmm.......

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 1:57am

Black is my favorite color... Gods know I wear it enough!!  Smiley

Okay, now the gutter isn't low enough for my brain again... The sewer is where it's at!!  Smiley

Good mental images though...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #33 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:24am

Yeah... mental images...  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:43am

That kind of mental image is the best kind... Wink NOT the kind I've gotten sick over in other spots... Shocked

My mind just went into the sewer again... OY...  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #35 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:51am

Ya might as well pick out a room and move in 'cause, let's face it, I'm a bad influence!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:56am

I think I have already, after today!! Smiley

It's comfy down here.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #37 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 3:06am

Yes it is and it has all the comforts of home.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #38 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:09pm

Well, about two pages of what I wrote yesterday had to be moved. I checked my timeline and things were getting "scrunched" again. So that piece got moved to Chapter 9 and I'm seriously thinking of having at least one scene take place "off stage" with the two of the characters involved in it saying something to the effect "that went better than I expected!" I've already discarded some stuff that I was going to put in this book just because the darn thing is growing like mold in damp weather and if I don't keep a tight rein on it, it's gonna be out of control. One situation that I was going to elaborate on is going to be pushed back into Book 4 where I think that it may work better. I'd like to bring Book 3 in at between 600 and 650 double-spaced pages which would be about 350 to 400 pages in a standard paperback.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:58pm

Wow, that's going to be just the right size when you're finished Penth! Not too short and not too long!!

With all of the files I have on various parts of UT #6, I can't really put a number on the number of pages I have in that one... UT #7 is about 6 pages single spaced in total but that IS going to grow over time!!

Notes, etc for UT #6 is well over 20 pages single spaced... UT #7 is getting to that size and I'm still in the beginning stages of that one!! Most of it is me typing down ideas though...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #40 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 11:22pm

It can be hard to tell how long a project is going to be in the early stages. I originally thought that I'd get two books out of what I had but when I starting going through it and realized what needed to be expanded on and the loose ends that I couldn't delete (and some were) and that had to be taken care of, I realized that I was either going to have something the size of War and Peace or three books!
I opted for three books!
One of the things I did was go through a bunch of my paperbacks and got an average page count. Then I counted the lines per page and the number of letters/spaces on the lines. THAT give me an idea of what the "standard" was. I then picked a combination of font style and size that worked out roughly as one single spaced page of typing equaling one paperback page. When each book has been finished, I've copied all of the chapters into one LONG word document, then set it to "double space" and changed the font to "Times New Roman" and the font size to "12" which is what the industry standard is for submissions. THEN, I go through the whole thing and correct the "spacing" errors that pop up when you change fonts and sizes! THAT is why I keep the originals "as is" and make a copy -- so I can check the spacing! I also have each chapter as a separate word document. It makes it much easier to find something when I need to look something up.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 11:52pm

Right now, I'm going by word count more than anything... My goal is at least 100,000 words for both stories, although I have a feeling they may be longer than that in the end. It all depends on exactly how things go with UT #7 and what all I want to have in the storyline... If I find I'm starting to ramble on about something that's minor, out it goes!!

My very first attempt to write a full length novel is up to 53 pages single spaced... And the entire story isn't in there yet! I have to figure out a way to transfer the entire story from my old Pentium 90 to my Acer, which is my current system... I started RH (code name for title) on my typewriter back in the late 90s, typed it all up on my old laptop with DOS 3.0 on it and then transferred that to my Pentium 90... My Pentium has a 3 1/2 floppy drive on it and a CD reader, no burner. My Acer does NOT have a floppy drive on it and I can't seem to find one for it, else that problem would be solved in a hurry. RH is only a novella though, I did do a word count on it and it only has about 35000 words. It needs a LOT of work and I think I'm going to change the main man's career... It was kinda out there...  Grin

I think I'm going to see if I can get the hard drive from my Pentium installed into my Acer so I'd be able to access the files from Word 97 and get them into Word XP Pro, which is what I have on this computer! I'll have to get a computer tech to look at things but if I can get that little hard drive out of the other one into this one, that'll be perfect!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #42 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 12:09am

I've been using AppleWorks for my word processing and all my notes, docs and such are in it BUT Apple no longer supports it soooooo.... Book 4 and everything is going to have to be converted into Pages (Apple's new word processing software) which will probably be when I start to seriously work on 4. I'm not looking forward to it. Pages has lots of bells and whistles that are useful for desktop publishing and online magazines but I've found it distressingly easy to screw up my plain old "I just want to type A DAMNED MANUSCRIPT" word docs with all sorts of fancy formatting that I don't need.
*See Penth screaming at the computer... Smiley *  
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011 at 12:11am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 12:31am

Two words: EEP and Oy!!! I'd be doing this  Smiley myself...

I learned how to use a word processor by using Microsoft Works back when I was still using Windows 3.1 at the office when I was a secretary... In my business course, we took Word 6, then I graduated to Office 97 and eventually Office XP Pro, which is what I use today.

I did see Word 2007 and MAN that program is MESSED UP... When one clicked on one of the menus at the top, it went sideways instead of down like I'm used to and I would have had to sit down with it for several hours just to get the hang of it, there is that much extra stuff in that program!! XP Pro isn't that different from 97, so it was an easy transition for me to do that upgrade!

RH was done on an old word processor that worked with DOS 3.0... It is NOT compatible with ANY version of Word or even text or Notebook on Windows... So I have to get a printer hooked up to the Pentium, print off ALL of those documents and then retype it all back into Word... It's going to be one HECK of a PITA!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #44 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 1:06am

Don't ya hate it when software developers decide to scrap something that works perfectly well for something with more bells and whistles? I know that Pages is probably good software (Skywise loves it) but I really hate that AppleWorks which does exactly what I want with a minimum of fuss isn't available anymore and that the "workaround" that Skywise used so it would work with our current operating system won't work when we install the next OS upgrade. *sigh*

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 1:17am

Ugh, it drives me BONKERS!!!  Smiley

I can't remember the name of the word processor that I had on my DOS 3.0 laptop but it was old enough to have not a lot of stuff in it at all, it was made back in the early 80s at the latest! I had to divide the story up into something like 5 files, it could only handle so much data in one file!  Smiley

When I upgraded to Word97 on my Pentium 90, it was a HUGE help because I didn't have to do that... Until the RAM I had on that computer got overloaded and things started freezing up, my Pentium only has 16 MB of RAM in it and since Windows 98 used over half of that and Word probably used at least 4 MB of RAM, I didn't have a lot of RAM left to use for the actual story when it was up!  Smiley When I started transferring it into Word XP on the computer I had just before I got this one I had more than enough RAM to put it all into one file at last! Then the motherboard in that computer fried itself, and I wound up getting this system with NO floppy drive in it and no way to access the files on the other computer without writing all of it down by hand until I can figure out how to transfer it all!!  Smiley

And since I have Carpal Tunnel syndrome, THAT is going to be ultra painful for me to do!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #46 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 1:47am

Smiley Wasn't all this tech supposed to make our lives easier?

Post # 17,600
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:50am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:05am

That's what I thought! In a lot of ways, it makes it ten times more difficult!!  Smiley

Hmm... I need a pic up in Photo editor to make me happy... Which one should I use? I have a LOT of good ones!!  Smiley

And I just got ran over by an insane tabby cat... Anyone know Amber's license plate number???  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #48 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:48am

I've got a photo of one of my favorite gentlemen sitting on the right side of the desktop as both company and inspiration. *sigh*

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 3:20am

I think I know who you're talking about... Wink

I got one up in MS Photo Editor, here it is...

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Send TopicPrint