Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What’s Happenin’? XXXII: The Post: The Unexpected Journey (Read 31201 times)
Ravens Tears
God Member

Re: What’s Happenin’? XXXII: The Post: The Unexpected Journey
Reply #125 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 3:59pm

My school division here never closes the schools. even at -50 C (-58 F), high winds/blizzard conditions etc..  They will cancel the school buses, but it's extremely rare. 
VE do you use those window kits to seal out tje drafts in the winter?  If you have a home depot near by it's alot cheaper to go there and get the roll of plastic with the tape included (big wide roll, lots of tape)  It's easier to fit and does many windows too. It really helps.  We keep the front porch windows permanently sealed up because there are so many.  used the plastic there 5 years ago, we're only having to replace it this year.  When the wind is really bad I have also hung old quilts across the windows taking the brunt of it.

Layering is the key to staying warm.  In a damper climate it's important to have at least a good polar fleece or wool because it will keep you warm even if it's damp.  Any  light wind breaker jacket, worn over everything should keep you warm because it prevents the wind penetrating through your layers to steal your warmth. A light scarf around the neck helps, as does a hood or hat depending on how cold it is.   Also, if you can keep your feet warm, you won`t feel the cold as much.  It`s why I started knitting my wool ankle socks.  When it`s real cold I wear them over a cotton pair, keeps the feet warm and dry Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #126 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 4:10pm

Yeah, we seal our windows every year and unseal them come May or June, depending on how warm it is. My computer is right in front of a door that does not open due to it being nailed shut by the previous owners (we tried getting it working, NO LUCK!) and there is a small draft coming in around that even with the storm door on the other side of it. Most of the time it's not so bad but if the wind is strong and coming in from the east, that's when I freeze at the computer even with the heaters cranked up and a thermal blanket around my legs and feet. Sad

Sometimes I have something like three sweaters on over my t-shirt, two polar fleece and a hockey sweater sometimes. I sometimes wear something like two or three pairs of socks too because my feet are so sensitive to cold weather even in the house... I do wear warm boots when it's really cold outside and if I have to leave the house, to go to the bus stop or clean off that !@#$%^&*( dish for the TV.

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #127 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 4:17pm

I see a chubby orange and black bum on the back of the one armchair... hehehehee... *tickles the kitty's tail!*

I have been trying to get that scene that's gelling in my head down in Word but Son has decided it's "Let's drive Mommy nuts with chatting CONSTANTLY and singing!" time.... Roll Eyes His afternoon meds will kick in soon and hopefully he'll be quiet enough for me to get a LITTLE work done today.................  Smiley

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #128 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 4:31pm

If you do have an old quilt kicking around you`re not using, if you could fasten it over that door, it would definitely help.  We have one across  the second back door (aren`t old houses fun eh?) and it makes a huge difference. 

One of my other tricks is rubbing vicks on the feet before I put socks on.  Any chance of getting kitties to keep your feet warm?  Years ago my Sylvester would do that!  Sure miss her, warm as a hearth and fur soft as silk Smiley 

I need to lie down for a bit though.. Keep warm my friends I'll be back later Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #129 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 4:39pm

All of our blankets and quilts are in use somehow. Some are across the archways to keep the individual rooms warm and on the beds for sleepy time... I have two blankets to use in the living room for lap blankets and even with those over me, I'm froze. It's the nature of the house, it has electric heat only and since I grew up with wood heat, I freeze this time of year. We don't have room for a woodstove either, else I would have one for days like today! *SIGH*

Amber isn't a foot kitty, she's more of a lap kitty... Or should I say "CHEST" kitty? She likes to curl up on a person's chest, right over their heart, and purr like crazy. She'll snoodle the shoulder and drool too. She's one big old purrbaby that's for sure.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #130 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 6:52pm

You know, if I was still talking to a certain local someone, they'd probably roast me over an open fire for the scene I'm writing now.... Hehehehehehehehe.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #131 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:30pm

Which means that person's hair will stand on end when they  read it!

Afternoon! I'm here finally. We needed serious groceries which meant a trip to Bloomington.
I checked on "the package from China." It cleared Customs at 7:40 something this morning so it "could" be in Indianapolis by now. That all depends on the transportation schedules. Once it gets to Indianapolis, it won't take long to get here unless it arrives there late. If that's the case, it will be delivered in the morning, probably before we're out of bed! *sigh*
I have tea and will now get caught up.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #132 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:32pm

I THINK I have the basics of the scene I wanted to get done today... It's a short one, only 3 1/2 pages (verdana size 10 with a space between single spaced paragraphs) but the general idea of what I wanted in the scene is THERE at least. I need to edit it, A LOT, and it needs a LOT more added to it, but I got in all of the elements I wanted to.

It took me over 5 HOURS to get that little bit done... That was between Son's mouth, the !@#$%^&* TV, that dratted kitty going wonky and running me over, phone calls, alerts in FB and other stuff.... I swear if I do NOT get writing time next week I may wind up in jail for shooting someone!!! ARGH!  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #133 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:34pm

Penthesilea wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:30pm:
Which means that person's hair will stand on end when they  read it!

Exactly, but it won't make yours stand on end... It'll make you GRIN... Wink  Smiley

Hey, you can handle stuff like that Penth... Some people are too... "sensitive"... for scenes like that! Wink  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #134 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:34pm

I understand completely.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #135 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:50pm

Veridian Etoile wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:34pm:
Exactly, but it won't make yours stand on end... It'll make you GRIN... Wink  Smiley

Hey, you can handle stuff like that Penth... Some people are too... "sensitive"... for scenes like that! Wink  Smiley

That's probably because some of what I write is pretty "hair raising" too!  And that's only the monsters....

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #136 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:54pm

Penthesilea wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:50pm:
Veridian Etoile wrote on Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:34pm:

That's probably because some of what I write is pretty "hair raising" too!  And that's only the monsters....

Smiley It doesn't bother me, but then again, you've read my stuff too and know how...um... "GRAPHIC" some things are that I've written... Tongue

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #137 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 8:05pm

There is nothing wrong with "graphic" as long as it's tasteful.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #138 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 8:07pm

It's tasteful. Wink

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #139 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 8:35pm

Do I hear grinding teeth off in the distance?  Smiley

*taps her latest FB statuses*...  Smiley

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #140 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:00pm

I totally agree!  There's nothing wrong with graphic when it's tastefully done.   Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #141 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:05pm

Thanks RT!  Smiley

I agree with it too... That's why I am doing my best to keep within the realm of "tasteful" with my stuff and NOT go back into the realm of "NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" like I did in one part of Untitled #6 back when I was working on that one a few years ago.... *SHEEPISH GRIN*

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #142 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:09pm

Chuckles!  I think we've all done that at one point or another!

I felt better for having had a nap.. then I got sucked into reading the news  Undecided  So I'm thinking a cup of Chocolatey Chai tea will cheer me up.  I made some Morrocan Mint Green for my youngest.  It also has Stevia in it, tastes good hot or cold and is really good for a cold.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #143 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 10:14pm

Skywise is on his way.

If the "package from China" is in Indianapolis, its status hasn't been updated yet. Neither Skywise nor I will breathe easily until we know that it hasn't been misdirected to Memphis or Knoxville or some other location that ISN'T HERE. We both know how easy it is for a package to get misdirected in the sea of packages in a major facility....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #144 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:12pm

The package is back on the radar. It was processed through Chicago's USPS facility at 4:45 pm. NOW I'm waiting to find out where it's heading next. It "should" be Indianapolis.....

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #145 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:16pm

Fingers crossed Penth!

My eyes are starting to cross.............................  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #146 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:25pm

So are mine but that might be the result of a "crossed brain." The cognitive functions haven't been all that sharp today.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #147 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:40pm

I've been on the computer pretty much since I got up this morning on little sleep and spending 5 hours writing up a somewhat difficult but "tempting" scene didn't help much..........  Smiley

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #148 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 12:25am

OOOH!  I really hope it shows up tomorrow Penth!!

I'm on my linux now ... everything is so fast!

My brother (the sweetie)  brought me some canned beans so I can make my bacon bean soup... tonight I'll be making it with ham though, with ham stock Cheesy  I had forgotten to put my beans on to soak last night   Smiley .  He's a real life saver Smiley 

The Bloke didn't sleep well last night, I think he was a little freaked out about his sleep apnea.  I'm hoping a hard days work and a good supper will help him sleep better tonight, he won't be getting a cpap machine until the 25.  Apparently he will be put on an automatic one that gathers Data for a month, then they will determine from that what kind he needs and what kind of attachments.  Luckily in this province we don't have to buy it, it is provided by the province. 

I can't focus on anything today either... 

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2013 at 12:29am by Ravens Tears »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #149 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 3:56am

The package has left the Chicago Sort Facility and is heading.... somewhere. Indianapolis I hope.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 41
Send TopicPrint