Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Veridian's Writings: The Shorter Stories, Part One (Read 6945 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Veridian's Writings: The Shorter Stories, Part One
Reply #75 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:10pm

Well you ARE writing a contemporary romance novel, after all. "Over 18" kinda comes with the territory.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #76 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:13pm

Oh yeah... That's why I am so glad for PASSWORD PROTECTION feature in Word, cause my son KNOWS how to use that word processor.. He tries to access my story files if he's on my side of the computer.... NOT GOOD!!!!!!!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:26pm

That IS bad! He needs about another 10 years on him before he's ready to read what you write, maybe more!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #78 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:31pm

He's NOT allowed NEAR IT until he's MY AGE!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:45pm

LOL!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #80 - May 16th, 2014 at 7:39pm

Did a word count on the first 12 chapter last night.. Rough draft only.

It was 52984 last night at 11 p.m. ADT, and adding on today's work of 4383 words (Chapter 13 in its entirety!)....

57 367!!!

Yeah, over halfway there. I think by the time it's fully edited by not just me, but the rest of the helpers, etc, the number will change over time. I've already found a few passive areas and I still haven't fully corrected Chapter 1 yet so yeah, that number is subject to change. Cheesy

Brain backfiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #81 - May 21st, 2014 at 12:37pm

Okay so yesterday I not only added 1288 words to Eleven, I also figured out a problem I had in getting something added to the story. I wasn't sure how to go about and it finally hit me yesterday. I'm doing the start of the lead in to that now in the main file and will continue to work on it, even though the "big scene" doesn't happen for a bit... No, it's not the finale, something that will help lead into it over time. Wink

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #82 - May 21st, 2014 at 5:52pm

Word count for the day: 2080 of new material, PLUS over 3900 words worth of stuff that was written a while ago, tweaked to fit the story and spliced into the main file. Total was over 6100 words. Oy. Smiley

Chapter 14, DONE. Chapter 15, STARTED.

Five, MAYBE six or seven chapters left to go before the finale/ending, TOPS. Smiley

Brain backfiring!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #83 - May 22nd, 2014 at 11:34am

NEW DEADLINE to finish Eleven's first draft:

OCTOBER 19, 2014.

That date is very important to me... It's the two year anniversary of finishing No Regrets' first draft, which was in 2012.

That only applies if Eleven's first draft isn't finished by the end of the school year - my last full day of writing before summer vacation starts is June 20 if things keep going with Hubby's schedule like they are now. If things change and I don't get as much writing time as I'd like to finish it by then, the October date stands.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #84 - May 24th, 2014 at 2:30am

Chapter 15: DONE

Chapter 16: STARTED.

Word count for the day: over 5600.

I think there's a chapter and a half - AT MOST - to go before I can type "THE END" at the end of this first draft.

Wow. Shocked

Next question: What the HECK am I going to do while Eleven is perking the first time around if there's writing days between the time I finish it and the end of the school year???  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #85 - May 24th, 2014 at 2:53am

No clue. Go nuts on facebook probably.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #86 - May 24th, 2014 at 3:00am

I was thinking about starting the revamp of something... Even if it means getting whipped by a dog leash thanks to my local beta reader.........  Smiley

Seriously, I'm considering trying to move on in Ten, if I can get out of "Eleven" mode before the end of the year. If it's done before June 20th, I will be taking one or two of what would have been "writing days" to stay offline and go over Eleven one last time with a fine toothed comb - and add in stuff I may have missed, like slap in a little more sexual tension - before it goes into Stasis, Round One.

It'll probably stay there for the entire summer while I work on editing something else or try to get moving in Ten or another story... Or start the complete revamp even with the thread of a dog leash over the head. Tongue

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #87 - May 25th, 2014 at 4:00pm

I want to get back into Ten ASAP after Eleven goes into its first perk cycle... IF I have enough time between the last reread of Eleven and the end of the school year. If not, well, I have other projects to do with writing that I can do during summer vacation.

Eleven will be perking ALL summer for the record.

The other projects I'm considering are bringing No Regrets out of stasis long enough to clean it up a little more... Remove any of the passive areas that are left, starting compressions with the wordier areas and other things... Including writing a prologue for it.

I know, a lot of people do not like prologues, but I think in this case, it will work. It comes from a REALLY crazy idea I had a month or so ago, and wound up getting hit with a dog leash for even THINKING about doing it. I had considered writing up a "prequel" for the Legacies series and well.... The more I think about it, the less the idea appeals to me.

BUT there is a part from the "prequel" idea I think would help No Regrets a little, to explain things a little more to the reader on certain dynamics within the main family... So a prologue is the compromise and better idea of the two.

I already have a lot of it mapped out so it's just a case of writing it up, and so on.

Now... Ten... Hmm....

That may require a FULL revamp for me to get back into it. It just wasn't working right at the time I set it aside to get moving in Eleven.

The thing is, can I do it?

I hope so. I don't want yet another story idea winding up in the "dead manuscripts" file on the computer, like so many others have over the years. *SIGH*

I think Penth and my poor betas are going to be hearing a LOT of "cussing" from my end of the world when I try cleaning THAT one up... More so when I'm working on the Legacies MSs.... *SIGH*

I also see a LOT of brainstorming ahead.... Thank the stars Penth and the one local beta reader don't mind me bouncing ideas off of them, no matter HOW wild and "out there" they are.... Cheesy

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - May 25th, 2014 at 7:52pm

Hey! I write science fiction/fantasy! There is NO SUCH THING as an idea that's too "wild" or "out there" for me!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #89 - May 29th, 2014 at 6:23pm

Heh! Cheesy

To quote Stewie Griffin from Family Guy, "VICTORY IS MINE!"

Yes, it's official: Draft One of Eleven, or "Away to Me" was finished at 1:44 p.m. ADT TODAY!

On my son's 10th birthday yet, which makes it even better! Cheesy

STATS, DRAFT ONE:

Name: "Away to Me"
Length: 135 pages
Word Count: 77 477
Chapters: 17
Started: February 20, 2014.
Finished: May 29, 2014.
Length of time from starting main file to finishing: 3 months, 9 days, writing part time.

***Word count and page amounts subject to change as it is edited and formatted to publisher's recommendations/requirements.

Next on the agenda: A full reread and cleanup/edit, then it's going into its first stasis round for the summer. After that, it'll be pulled out, gone over again and any corrections made, then my readers will be getting a copy of Draft 2.

I can't believe I wrote a manuscript that quickly. Oy!!!!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #90 - May 29th, 2014 at 8:16pm

YAY! Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #91 - May 30th, 2014 at 1:07am

Mwah! Thank you Penth!

Well, it's official... Draft 2's file is now started, and its folder is on the desktop. Boy does it ever look STRANGE! LOL

I've also pulled No Regrets Revamp S2 out onto the desktop again, in preparation of ATM/Eleven going into stasis sometime soon.

Backups were done at 9:15 p.m. ADT. Heh. Cheesy

HATERS, KISS MY FANNY!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #92 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 2:58pm

Here's what's been going on the last few days....

May 30, 2014:

Took out a few passive areas.
Compressing of timeline started.
Started putting chapter breaks at the beginning of a new page.
Began removing repetitive stuff.
Compressions of wordier areas started.
Started smoothing out choppier areas.

I also realized I had a HUGE inconsistency in the lead in to the grand finale, so I spent the morning working on getting THAT cleaned up and smoothed out. It's better.

I'm now going over it to make sure I didn't miss anything else. After that, it'll be in stasis until my first "writing day" of the new school year in September.

For the summer, I'll be working on cleaning up the Legacies series with one of my local betas and trying to figure out what's wrong with Ten and WHY I can't get moving in that one.

LOTS of work ahead of me. Oy.  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #93 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 1:54pm

It went into stasis at 6:28 p.m. ADT on June 2, 2014.

I'm feeling the withdrawal I normally get after finishing a first draft and putting it into stasis, so I'm going to work on this one's synopsis so I don't lose it.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #94 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 7:04pm

Synopsis was done on Tuesday or Wednesday, with help from local beta.

Ten has been opened again and I'm back to working on it. I added over 3K to it this week, and plan to continue working on it until school gets out, and over summer vacation. I'm determined to finish it one way or another, and hopefully either this fall or coming winter, I'll be able to type in "THE END" into that one.

Now to find the right name for it...........................

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #95 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 4:43pm

Only 1063 words were added to Ten today, but it would have been more if "stoopid" here hadn't gone off on a tangent and put in something a little too early... I had to take out something like 1200 words and put something else in. It's corrected now, and at least the writing time wasnt' completely wasted. *SIGH*

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #96 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 7:26pm

I did an experiment today. After Son got home from school, I set him up with snacks, a drink and Star Trek stuff on VHS, told him to stay quiet and don't bother me until 4 p.m. our time, and let him know I wanted to write for a while. It was a trial run for summer vacation, to see if I can write once in a while when he's home and so I don't go nutso wanting to work.

IT WENT PERFECTLY! Son only disturbed me once, long enough to get a drink, and he stayed quiet in the living room the entire time otherwise!

I got another 1215 words added to Ten, AND finished chapter 3's rough draft! WOOT!

Hopefully this is NOT a fluke and will happen a lot over summer vacation! Cheesy

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #97 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 7:08pm

FITS AND STARTS: ARGH!!!  Smiley

I couldn't get moving fast at all today... I'd write a paragraph, have to think, go back and rewrite then do it again and again.

I still wound up beating today's goal of 1500 words. I got 2200 or thereabouts. THANK THE GODS!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #98 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:35pm

Today's goal was 1500 words.

Despite some drama caused by some idiots for NO REASON over the last couple of days, I managed to get 2445 words added to Ten today. Chapter 4 was finished and Chapter 5 started.

Take that, haters and drama queens!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #99 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 12:43pm

Reread the first part of Chapter 5 last night. It needs to be revised, big time... I'll be doing that when Son isn't in one of his "read everything Mom has on the monitor" moods... That part isn't really fit for children. No, the characters are NOT doing "that" yet, but it's still a scene that's in the "over 18" realm.

Like I noted elsewhere, this one seems to be pretty "over 18" charged from the start, even if it's unconsciously on the part of the MC's. People will get it if they ever read it. Tongue

In some ways, it's good because it is a contemporary romance, but in other ways - like my son being around a lot during summer vacation - not so good.

I think it's time to put password protection on the file..............................

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint