Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) So much for being "perfectly healthy"... (Read 2015 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: So much for being "perfectly healthy"...
Reply #50 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 2:55am
Print Post  
I've been researching what kind of exercises are compatible with both osteoarthritis and Type 2 diabetes. Since exercise will help lower my glucose readings and therefore bring "remission" closer, I need to get started. BUT I don't want to make my knees worse which is possible even they aren't hurting all that much right now. So.... research into what forms of exercise will help me burn glucose but won't make my arthritis worse.
Why couldn't it have been one or the other instead of both?

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I've been going over my glucose readings since I starting testing and aside from a couple of readings, I've been in the "prediabetic" range since 11/6. This is a good thing. I'm seeing the dietitian this week to go over things and -- as instructed -- I'll be bringing my test records. I hope she's as pleased as I am.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #52 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
As an observation.
It's easier to avoid excess salt in the diet than it is to avoid carbohydrates.
It's hell when you have to do both.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 5:27am
Print Post  
As I mentioned elsewhere, the nutritionist was pleased with my glucose numbers which are staying in the prediabetic range pretty consistently. She expects the results of my next AIc test -- which will likely be in January -- to be considerably lower.
My goal is to have my glucose readings consistently in the mid-80s which would put me solidly in the "normoglycemia" range.
Yes, that is a word.
High blood glucose is "hyperglycemia".
Low blood glucose is "hypoglycemia".
So they needed a word for blood glucose that is neither high nor low so.... "normoglycemia".
Anyway, I've lost 17 pounds since my diagnosis and 25 pounds since the last of August. My goal is to lose another 55 pounds give or take a few pounds. That would not only take a load off my achy knees but "should" bring my glucose numbers down since I suspect that my weight combined with my family and personal history is what got me into this mess to start with. Of course, I'll need lots of new clothes once what I have don't fit but my "sweats" should last through the winter. They'll be baggy but if this winter is as cold as the almanacs are predicting, I'll need the room to put layers under them!

Having to rebuild my wardrobe will be a good time to change my "look". Just how will be determined by what my body looks like once I hit my goal weight. I "could" be in a position to show more skin than I've been accustomed to and more than is usually considered "proper" for a woman my age. However, the older I get, the less concerned I am with what is "proper" so if the bod looks good, I may be tastefully flaunting it, especially in warm weather!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2019 at 5:29am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #54 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
This morning's glucose reading was 88 -- which is solidly in the normoglycemia range.  Smiley Today is the first time it's dipped that low since I started testing. Now I know that I can get into the normal range and I will get there and stay there....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - Jan 31st, 2020 at 12:42am
Print Post  
My glucose is, for the most part, staying in the "normoglycemia" range when taken after several hours -- normally more than four hours after eating. My A1c -- a measure of glucose "coating" blood cells that can be used to determine glucose levels over a two to three month period -- dropped from 11.1 when I was diagnosed to 5.5 on the 20th when I had my checkup. Smiley That much of a drop is extremely rare -- or so I've been told -- and my doctor was very happy as well as stunned. She told me to keep doing what I'm doing and I intend to. Knee pain is minimal and I keep losing weight -- 36 pounds since the last of August -- which has to be helping. The cortisone is still working and I'm hoping to put the bilateral knee replacement with its 12 month or more rehab period off for as long as possible!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #56 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
My knees hurt.
The cortisone is wearing off. This was forcefully brought to my attention last night while I was picking some laundry up off the floor.
I hope it doesn't get too bad before we can schedule my next round of injections. The earliest we can do it is the last Monday in March.
Skywise knows some people that have had knee replacement surgery. One of them told Skywise that one of the things that they don't tell you is that when it gets cold, the metal in the implant gets cold -- so you have very cold metal INSIDE YOUR KNEE.  Smiley
I'm going to need some really heavy duty knee warmers....
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2020 at 7:31pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #57 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Keeping up with the Covid-19 news.
Skywise and I aren't that worried about catching it -- at least not at the moment -- but I'm laying in some basic cleaning/disinfecting supplies in case supply lines get disrupted or there are shortages. As far as quarantine is concerned, I'm just keeping my "INCOMING MAJOR BLIZZARD!!!!" preparations topped up in case it is necessary for us to stay home for a while. I'm pretty well supplied with testing strips and lancets. I'd like some extra Metformin but it's too soon to get a refill on my prescription but if I can continue to track my glucose twice a day, I can adjust my diet if it starts to rise. I'm more worried about Skywise but we have two blood pressure monitors so we can monitor him. Hopefully, his bp meds will last if we can't get more immediately. He says he's not worried so I'm worrying enough for both of us.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #58 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I am hopeful.
I continue to lose weight and my glucose numbers are staying in the normoglycemia/prediabetic range pretty consistently. I expect to be testing my glucose for the rest of my life -- just to be sure! -- but I could at some point be taken off the medication and maybe be able to eat a cookie, a piece of cake or pie or a small serving of real ice cream with careful planning.
That would be heaven.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #59 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Covid-19 has its own thread now so anything about that will go there.

I've passed the halfway mark to my "goal weight". I'm still losing but slower than I was which is okay. I don't want to lose weight too quickly. So far, I've lost 42 pounds with 42 to go.
Yeah, I needed to lose that much...

While I was reading something else on FB, I saw an ad for an oximeter -- a little "clip-on" thingie that measures the oxygen in your blood pretty much immediately. The price is reasonable, less than $40.00 so I'll probably get one when things settle down. We already have blood pressure monitors, glucose meters and testing supplies and stethoscopes -- thanks to Spirit's collection.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #60 - Aug 25th, 2022 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Note to Self: I've just "subscribed" on Amazon to get the Accu-Chek lancets delivered every six months, starting September 20th. One less thing to think/worry about finding in stores, especially if the supply chain has "problems".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint