Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Firing Range (Read 15032 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

The Firing Range
Mar 15th, 2007 at 4:03am
Print Post  
Since a number of us are interested in firearms and very interested in their safe and lawful use, I thought that a thread for the subject would be in order. I'm planning to obtain a Lifetime Concealed Carry Permit before the end of Summer (before the beginning of it if I can manage it!) and I'll be looking at handguns and looking for advice. Here are a couple I'm looking at right now.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg93-e.htm ;  the PT99 and

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg196-e.htm ; the PT145 for Concealed Carry.

Opinions?

IP Logged

PD
God Member

aka ~ Brat

Re: The Firing Range
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 11:18am
Print Post  
firearms...pascht! bow and arrows are MUCH more fun

~ BRAT ~
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 2:27pm
Print Post  

This I know and I intend to get a new bow too but finding that it going to take more work than finding a handgun or two or three!  Grin

IP Logged

PD
God Member

aka ~ Brat

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I'd like to make or get a proper old fashioned longbow with wooden arrows, just something I've always wanted to try ever since i was ickle.
I've only shot a few times but I love it and want to do more.
I'm also a pile of crud with a rifle, anyone who stands infront of my target should be perfectly safe...

~ BRAT ~
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I used to be a pretty good shot with a varmit gun (.22 rifle) but that was before I went into bifocals. Plus, between Mom and me we pretty much cleaned out the varmits!!!  Grin So I'm short of targets. As far as bows are concerned, I'm a traditionalist. If Robin Hood couldn't figure out how to string it correctly, I don't want it!  And since I have NO idea what my draw is now (I haven't touched a bow since my 20s.) I'm going to have to do some "hands on" shopping before I lay my money down.

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Taurus equals CRAP!  Don't ever buy a Taurus.  Quality control issues abound with these weapons.  Slide action is jerky.  Loading ramps aren't a well polished and aligned as they should be for the best loading of the weapon.  Finishing issues...which are less of a concern if you are religious about cleaning and oiling, but can be an issue if you have to let it go for a bit.  For the same weapon, they are usually MUCH harder to tear down.

Now, what you need to do is find a good dealer/shooting range in the area.  You need to fire a few rounds between some types of weapons, i.e. frame/slide styles.  For example, some people praise Glock Firearms as the best in the world.  Personally, with the exception of a single model (Glock 36), I hate Glocks and won't use them.  They are designed to be more reliable in dirty situations, but to do that they have to make the slide looser than most companies.  It makes them rattle a bit, and that makes me very nervous.

Personally, I like Walthers, Rugers, Springfields, and Rock Island Armory.  S&W and Colt are ok.

Remember, you don't have to use a tiny firearm for a concealed weapon.  I've seen professionals walk into a room and divulge an amazing arsenal (as many as 30 firearms and larger blades, including one guy who was able to hide a pistol-grip full barrel twelve gauge without a long coat).  It just takes a critical eye and some creative clothing choices.

As for archery....  I have to try to find the folks I bought my bow from back a few years ago.. They are a Hungarian outfit who specialize in traditional Horse bows.  Very high quality weapon for not so high of a price.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2007 at 7:19pm by Deirachel »  
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Noooooo! PLEASE don't get a Taurus!

I know you would be happier with a Ruger or a Glock! Or a Kemper or even Millennium Arms. Even a S&W. Taurus has had some....interesting quality control issues over the years, and you would really have to research the serial numbers to be sure you got a good one. Yes, they are a good basic weapon, but they don't generally have the nicer features or smoothest action like the better names do. I have USED many Taurus weapons over the years, and while yes, in general they are an ok weapon, I have found them extremely likely to jam with mixed loads, and they tend to jam if the rounds are not FIRMLY seated well back in the magazine. In addition, I have found the quality of their metal finishing, whether brushed steel or blued, to be less than perfect. Yeah, the finish doesn't affect anything but the looks, but it does make me wonder what other corners have been cut in manufacture.

Honestly, I'd take a used Glock over a new Taurus any day, regardless of caliber. Glock has a very good reputation in reliability---I mean, they run thousands of rounds through a weapon, without cleaning, to try to MAKE it fail, just to be sure they work right every time. And if they do fail, the weapon gets redesigned. They are considered to be the "gold standard" in performance reliability in all conditions, including underwater.....not that a handgun is very effective underwater anyway!

In any case, do look at some other weapons too. My first .45 was a safariland that took the govt slide and clip from a colt 1911A2 officer's model. It was a great little weapon that saved my butt more than once. Not bad for a "bargain" handgun!

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Woot!

The holster for my walther came in today! I really like it, as it goes left hand, right hand, concealed clip-on, and has a pocket for a spare magazine!

I got it set up to my liking, and it draws well too! The thunb break is adjustable, and smooth. I really like it!

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2007 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Well, having now discarded thoughts of the Taurus, I'm thinking of Walthers.

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Walther is a decent gun, definitely a step or two up from a Taurus.

I'd agree with Black Rose also that a Glock is a good way to go.

Penthesilea, I noticed you are planning to get a concealed-carry permit - I don't know how much you travel, but if you plan to carry it state-to-state, you'll want to make sure that you know the laws of the state before doing so.  Many states are passing laws to where you can't carry concealed in the state on an out-of-state license... if that makes sense.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Well, the law makes no sense but your statement did.  Grin  I don't travel out of state much at the present time but that could change. I've just renewed my membership in the NRA and I'll be using their resources to keep up to date.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I wasn't a big fan of the new laws when I heard about it either... but, they have to catch you to enforce it.  *evil laugh*

(Oh, wait... did I say that out loud?)

You'll have to let us know what you wind up getting!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Yes, you did say that out loud but last I looked, the 1st Amendment guaranteeing Freedom of Speech was still in force.

I definitely want something in a .45 for home protection and I'm thinking of getting a 12 gauge shotgun for the same reason. This area isn't as isolated as it used to be, unfortunately. I'm open to suggestions for concealed carry since if I have to use it it will likely be at close range and the need for the really heavy ammo wouldn't be as dire, I would think. I'm still in the "shopping" stage and I'll be putting my "possibles" up for comment as I go along.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Grin

How handy are you with a pistol?

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I used to be fairly good but I was always better with the rifle. I have "vision issues" and I know I'm going to need a lot of practice.
I got away from it when my girls were born, mainly because my late mother was positive that if there was a gun in the house one of the girls would find it and kill herself, her sister, her father or me. (She nearly had a stroke when she found out that I had bought a ninja short sword.) When the girls were diagnosed with autism, advocating for them became my second full time job -- being mom was the first full time job. I had to drop virtually everything from my life that wasn't connected to the girls and the autism. Now that they are older, I'm trying to get back some of my former life.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Hmm.  I can see how you'd want to do that.

Here would be my recommendation(s) for concealed carry:

If you want something with stopping power, I would go for a short-barrel .357 mag, such as the Ruger KPGF-331.

I'm a huge fan of any 9mm, but the rounds tend to go straight through the target. There are special bullets that you can buy that are specifically for self-defense/home defense purposes, and are kind of like scatter-shot, but they are EXPENSIVE. 

Personally, if I'm going to point a gun at someone, they are going to wind up dead - it would have to be pretty bad for me to train a gun on someone in the first place, so....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
My father's view on the subject which he imparted to my mother before he died and she then passed to me was "Don't point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them." If someone is breaking into the house and the only thing between that person and my girls is me with a gun, I want to drop that sorry piece of work with the first shot and I want him dead before he hits the floor. Same thing in a concealed carry situation.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Right on.  Don't point that gun at somebody unless you have every intention of shooting it.

.357 is a good bet for the concealed carry. Little heavier, but you also don't have to worry about it jamming or anything like that.  (My 9mm has jammed on me a couple of times at the range... I'd be pretty ticked if it happened when I really needed it.)

Shot-guns are good for home defense.  Wink

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
My mom had a 12 gauge but she sold it without telling me after I got married. I was unhappy that she had done that since it had been my father's. So, I'll be looking at those too but I want the handguns first. When I get some idea of what I want to look at, I'll start hitting the gun shops, there are no shortage of them around here  Grin but I don't want to walk in "cold" and buy something only to find out later that it is unsuitable.

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
.357 aren't the best for defense.  Honestly, in my opinion, the .45 is THE best defensive round on the market.  It has very high body shock value.  Rounds designed for self-defense are easily found (hollow points, hyrdoshocks, pre-fragged).  They are more expensive than the 9mm, but there is much less risk of a through-and-through.  (.357 have this risk as well).

I would personally avoid revolvers.  Even with a quick loader, they are slower to reload for another set of lead down range.  With practice, the reload time with a second magazine is less than 5 seconds.  Even with practice and a quick-loader, this is difficult to copy in a revolver.  Additionally, most revolvers hold less rounds than our standard autoloading pistol.   Random aside, the model you mentioned, Fury, is actually KGPF-331, if you are looking for one.  Unfortunately, they are out of production.  Ruger does still make a short barrel .357 revolver, the SP101 series.  The closest weapon to the KGPF-331 is the KSP-331X.  It's a stainless steel weapon though, and that's not good.  Blued or blacked steel makes for more accurate shooting.

For a home defense shotgun, there is only two choices in my opinion.  The Mossberg Persuader 500 or Mossberg 590 9 shot with Heat Shield.  Both are pump action 12guage weapons.  They are also very scary looking weapons.  Blacked out steel (extreme blued), with black synthetic stock and pump-grip.  Plain and simple, it is a big scary long-gun made by the best shotgun manufacturer in the world.   I prefer the 500 for it's lighter aspects (the Heat Shield adds a 1/4 pound...not much, but if you have to, it can wear on you.)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #20 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Another thing to keep in mind is that if there is a range attached to the shop, there may be guns that you can "try out" and see what suits you personally.  Most indoor ranges that I have been to have rentals that you can use.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #21 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I'm biased towards the .357 'cause I've actually had to use it.  Wink

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #22 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
I've already figured out that I don't want a revolver for that reason. I'm not likely to get in a gunfight but if I do, I want as many shots as possible!
hehehe I think I'll just let the 2 of you and BR discuss the pros and cons and I'll sit here and take notes!  Grin
I've been searching the Yellow Pages for a range and there are none listed so I'm hoping that at least one of the shops in the area has a testing range at the least. I don't want to buy a gun without firing it first.

IP Logged

FuryRising

by Nothing.

Reply #23 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Deirachel wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:00pm:
.357 aren't the best for defense.  Honestly, in my opinion, the .45 is THE best defensive round on the market.  It has very high body shock value.  Rounds designed for self-defense are easily found (hollow points, hyrdoshocks, pre-fragged).  They are more expensive than the 9mm, but there is much less risk of a through-and-through.  (.357 have this risk as well).

Yep, that's what I was getting at... the rounds, I mean.  Gun shops sell these too, all you have to do is take the time to look around, or google "self-defense rounds" and something should come up.

Quote:
Random aside, the model you mentioned, Fury, is actually KGPF-331, if you are looking for one.  Unfortunately, they are out of production.  Ruger does still make a short barrel .357 revolver, the SP101 series.  The closest weapon to the KGPF-331 is the KSP-331X.  It's a stainless steel weapon though, and that's not good.  Blued or blacked steel makes for more accurate shooting.

D'oh.  Sorry Penth. I have one, and didn't even think to look to see if they still made it.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:12pm by FuryRising »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #24 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
No problem. There are always used guns around and there are gun shows at the local fairgrounds fairly regularly. I can be very patient if when I decide that I want something and have to hunt for it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint