Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CAR TALK (Read 12994 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: CAR TALK
Reply #50 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
We've dropped the Phoenix off at the shop again. The appointment is for tomorrow but tomorrow is going to be rushed and crazy to the max so they said we could drop it off today so we did. We told them what the problem is -- driver's seat won't go forward -- and they said they'd have to get parts from Ford so we're hoping that they will take the time to check today and order what they need (probably the switch) to fix it yet today. We told them that we would stop by around noon tomorrow. If the Gods are kind, it will be fixed and ready to roll.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 5:45pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
We have the word on the seat problem.
It's the motor.
Furthermore, they stopped making them in '04.  Smiley

On the plus side, there were a lot of Windstars built between '95 and '03 and the auto shop is calling all the salvage yards in the area looking for a motor. There are a lot of salvage yards around here.

The Universe seems bound and determined to test the limits of my patience.

The Universe doesn't NEED to test the limits of my patience as It already knows them! My picture is in the dictionary next to the words patience, endurance, forbearance and long suffering!   Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:33pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #52 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Grrrrr. There is now a nationwide search on for a seat motor suitable for my van.  Smiley If one cannot be found the only alternative is to replace the whole seat with manual seat adjustment. This is not a problem for me. It is just a hassle.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:34pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Well, we went and got the van back so we can use it while we find out what our options are. We should know by Monday sometime if there is a seat motor ANYWHERE in the United States. If not, the hunt will be on for an entirely new seat. Which, Gods willing, should be easier to find!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #54 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
THE GODS LOVE US!!!!!!

We took the van back over to the shop yesterday before Skywise left so work so we wouldn't have to do it this morning. I just got off the phone with the shop. They have a motor! One turned up in a nearby town, it works so the shop sent a guy out to get it. It is now back in the shop. They sent the whole bracket assembly which, since it is used, is pretty rusty but the Phoenix's brackets are in decent shape so all they have to do is swap the motors. We should be able to pick it up Wednesday at the latest although we are hoping that they will have the job done by the time we leave town tomorrow. YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
We stopped by the auto shop. The driver's seat has been pulled out and disassembled. This is because it is not a simple matter of pulling out the bad motor in the Phoenix and putting in the new one. For one thing, there is a bad wire on the new (used) motor and the wiring has to be switched too. Because of that bad wire, the shop hasn't been able to test it themselves so they don't know that it works. If it does not work, a line will be forming to kill the guy at the salvage yard who guaranteed that it works. This one is apparently the only one available in North America. (Note to BR: If your's goes out, good luck. There are NO aftermarket motors that will work. The gal at the shop looked.) We've already told them that if it doesn't work once they can test it themselves don't bother to call us. Just get busy and find a replacement seat with manual adjustment!!  We'll give them a call tomorrow sometime and find out what's happening.
It is a good thing that I have the patience of Job......

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #56 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Our Windstar is all manual on the seats.... so, no worry about that.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #57 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Right now, I wish mine was manual! And if things don't work out, it may well be manual by the time we get it back! I'll call when we get up tomorrow and see what the situation is.
We've gotten the credit card bill for the first round of repairs and we're going into town tomorrow to move the money into my account so I can pay it off.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #58 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
We're off to town to move money around so I can pay for the first round of repairs on my credit card. We'll be picking up the van too. The motor worked, is installed and she is ready to roll. THANK THE GODS!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 5:48pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #59 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Bumpty-bump!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #60 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
With permission from Her Supreme Site Goddess...

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #61 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
LOL, great minds think alike Penth!!!  Smiley

Okay dream cars... Let's chat about them...

1956 Ford Victoria... DROOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #62 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I've always wanted a Firebird Trans Am. They don't make them anymore so they are dearer than gold but a girl can dream....
Especially if said vehicle came with an expert/experienced driver of the studly male persuasion to drive me around in it!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #63 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
NICE!! I like Trans-Ams, beautiful cars!

I want another Crown Victoria with the "police engine" into it... We had a 1985 silver one that had the 351 high-output Windsor engine in it and that baby could do 90 mph without breaking a sweat.....  Smiley Let's just say that anyone in a four cylinder putt-putt couldn't take that car on for anything....  Smiley

Nope, NOT a fan of 4 cylinder cars, I prefer at least a big six or an even bigger 8... Preferably straight 8 but I'll take a V-8 engine because they don't make the old straights anymore... Sad

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #64 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Yeah, the "safety Nazis" have taken all the fun out of life although I have no problems with seat belts and air bags.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #65 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
I know it. It's no fun going the speed limit sometimes, especially if you're driving along without children and have the music CRANKED like I do sometimes.... Tongue

Wearing a seatbelt became law here in 1984 or 1985 and I think it's law across the entire country but I'd have to check to be sure on that. If I'm in a car without them, I feel naked, I'm so used to wearing them now.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #66 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Me too. And in this state at least, you can get a $50 ticket if you get caught without wearing a seatbelt.

As far as speed goes, how are you supposed to outrun the bad guys of your choice if you have NO horses under the hood?

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #67 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Up here, if you're caught without a seatbelt on in a car that has them, it's up over $300 for the fine PLUS one loses a couple of points off of their license if they're driving. Yeah, our province is THAT strict with it.

I know it... The more powerful the better in my mind... That's why I want another Crown Vic with an Interceptor engine into it! Cheesy

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #68 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
We always called Chevettes "Shove Em Up the Hill" by the way.... Those cars had NOTHING under the hood for horsepower!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #69 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
My first impression is that any car whose name ends in "ette" is a sissy car, although the Corvette is the exception.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #70 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Agreed on that Penth! The Corvette is an awesome muscle car, even the newer ones are nice... Cheesy

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #71 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Veridian Etoile wrote on Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:14pm:
Agreed on that Penth! The Corvette is an awesome muscle car, even the newer ones are nice... Cheesy

"Accelerate to attack speed...."

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #72 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Corvettes are, and have always been, sports cars, not muscle cars.  Muscle cars are more about pure power, not overall performance.  Corvettes are about general racing, not drag racing.  Novas, GTO, Bel Airs, 'Stangs, Chargers/Challengers, Roadrunners... those are muscle;  big engine, great trannies.  Crap suspensions.  Think of it like this, sports cars can turn at speed, muscles can't.  Corvettes can turn at speed.

When I was a teen, I had an '87 LTD Interceptor with a Dodge 440 Police Interceptor V8.  I did some highly illegal modifications (flicker switches on the lights, straight pipe, false antennas, external loudspeaker).

I replaced the carb and headers with Edelbrock performer line.  ATI Powerglide racing tranny  Added a supercharger and nitro.

I drove from Savannah to the north-side of Atlanta in 2 hours (a bit over 260 miles).

I made the mistake of letting my dad drive it for a few months cause his car broke down and we didn't have the money for a new one.  He dropped the transmission on it.

The wife and I want to build a pair of '60 Caddy Hearses for both show and drag.  550 big blocks, drag pipes, underside air scoops, super and turbos.  Quick clip removable sound systems (build into a coffin).

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #73 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I stand corrected on the Corvettes... I did say as much as I like cars, I don't know much about them!  Smiley

Interceptors......... DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL! I loved the one we had in our 85, Hubby and I would always love to test the limits of it on the straight 3 mile long stretch of highway not far from here... That engine made my ex's 78 Caddy look like a Chevette I swear! LOL

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #74 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
I'm gonna sit back and watch the two of you -- or three if BR will get her posterior back in here -- talk cars.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint