Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Veridian's Writings and Grumblings... (Read 23819 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Re: Veridian's Writings and Grumblings...
Reply #300 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 2:23am

As of this evening, NR's PART ONE is officially in "Draft 2" mode.

I have taken out a lot of the stuff from Chapter 17 that was dragging down the story, and to keep the reader in the dark about certain things until later on in that particular part and in Part 2.

The chapter is VERY significant to the storyline and will stand alone AS IS. I will NOT be putting what is now Chapter 18 in with it because Chapter 17's scenes are hard enough on their own. Chapter 18 is bad enough but at least it gets.. Well, I'll let y'all find out when you READ IT. Tongue

MORE will be removed from Part 1 in Draft 2 mode and I've already made a few very significant changes... I'll be dealing with the !@#$%^&* verb tensing sometime when I am NOT tired and am able to concentrate more!

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #301 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 10:46am

Last night, I did something crazy...

I set up my author's page in Facebook.

I know it's very early to do i because I'm not even close to being published yet but I wanted to get it out of the way and get it perfect before NR gets into the final stages of publishing.

I shook for two hours after I created the page and had it set up.

I'm not sharing the link yet but it seems I may not have to, people are finding it on their own... Our own Tabby found it within minutes of Penth liking it and being promoted to co-Manager of it and a few other friends have found it already... So I may not have to promote it very much at this rate. I'd prefer to focus more on Penth's author page and getting the word spread more about that than my own page right now. Cheesy

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #302 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:49pm

Chapter 40 FINISHED.

Chapter 41 will be started first thing in the morning after Hubby leaves for work. I know exactly how it will start off and end too. Hehehehe...

After that chapter is done, we'll be on the road to the anti-climax then the grande finale!!  Smiley

Am I REALLY THAT CLOSE to FINISHING NR's first draft already??? YOWSA!!! Shocked  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #303 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:10pm

Copied from my Pink Rose FB profile:

Quote:
The amount of documents in the main part of NR's folder on my hard drive is getting smaller and smaller... And more and more things are checked "off" the "Ideas for Part 2" file, that list is getting shorter and shorter...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY. CRAP. *hyperventilating!*

Shocked Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #304 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:32pm

Veridian Etoile wrote on Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:10pm:
Copied from my Pink Rose FB profile:

Quote:
The amount of documents in the main part of NR's folder on my hard drive is getting smaller and smaller... And more and more things are checked "off" the "Ideas for Part 2" file, that list is getting shorter and shorter...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY. CRAP. *hyperventilating!*

Shocked Smiley

*hands VE a paper bag to breathe into.* It's called "almost done," hon. At least, the first draft is almost done. And just think about the fit your sister is going to throw when the final draft is done.....

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #305 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:39pm

Thanks Penth!

Oh, the term "conniption fit" isn't going to cover it when I hit that point... Hehehehehe!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

When I do finally get published, charcoal ash will be "undercooked" compared to her! Smiley

Yeah, I'm ALMOST done draft 1... Hard to believe that a year ago, I hardly had a thing written up for this story and back in February, I wasn't even halfway finished yet!!! Shocked

Look at me go........ WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #306 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:52pm

It's amazing what you can do when the irritating distractions are eliminated from your life, isn't it?

I'm heading for the basement. Got Book 2 printing to do.....

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #307 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 6:59pm

Oh yeah... "Irritants" like negative people, drama and just garbage for starters.

No worries, I'm here. I'll be rereading/doing the first edit on what I wrote today... IF Son will stay OUT of the computer area that is... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #308 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 5:48pm

Chapter 41: DONE.

Chapter 42: HALFWAY DONE.

I'm thinking Chapter 45 will be the grande finale... If I don't wrap things up a little sooner than that! Shocked

*hyperventilating!*

Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #309 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 7:18pm

I am now in the process of changing the paragraph format of NR...

When I'm writing something, I always start the paragraphs flush against the left hand margin and do a double line between them so it's easier for me to differentiate between where a paragraph starts and ends. It's the way I used to do things as a secretary for cover letters, etc years ago and that stuck with me... It's good for doing things in the employment realm but NOT in the writing world.

So right now I'm working in draft 2 and making the necessary changes to an indented paragraph format with NO open lines in between paragraphs.

NR Draft 2 is going to lose a LOT of pages by the time I'm done doing that... I am only on doing it to chapter 2 and I have another 39 and a half chapters to go........................  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #310 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 7:28pm

Chapter 4 formatting done... And the manuscript just lost a total of 4 pages so far... Shocked

YIKES. I think it's gonna shrink a LOT more before I'm done!! Shocked

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #311 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 8:33pm

*scream of VICTORY!*

As of 5:14 p.m. Atlantic time this evening, NR's first draft is FINISHED!

I spent all day working on the final three chapters... I wrapped up Chapter 44 (the lead up to the grande finale), wrote up the grande finale itself in Chapter 45 and the "final wrap up/epilogue" (Chapter 46) was saved about 15 minutes ago!!!!!!!!!!

It's a bittersweet moment for me... I don't like saying goodbye to the story and the characters but at the same time, it's a relief to have it done... I'm sorta sniffling but smiling at the same time.

Now the fun begins... EDITING and PROOFING. YECH!

*zooms around Sanctuary like a squirrel on speed!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #312 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 9:13pm

YIKES!!!

LOL Congratulations! Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #313 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 9:28pm

Thanks Penth.  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #314 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 1:08pm

The "FUN" has begun....

I'm working in NR today, lining up the verb tense in Chapter 1 and will be slowly doing that over the course of the day. I may attack chapter 2 if I have enough time also. I'll see how I feel and how the eyes hold out, I'm still somewhat cross eyed.

Yeah, I'm determined to get things DONE so I can send it off to publishers within the next year!

I'm going to soon pop over and see my old boss at the employment agency too... I'm going to get some information on copyrights and other things from her, plus I figure she'd like to hear the good news that I finished a full length novel! LOL I was still working with her when I finished RH's FIRST draft and she was one of my biggest writing supporters back then. I admit I'd like to give her an update on life also... She and I are friends on FB but she's very busy and doesn't get in there much... She knows my son has ASD and likes updates on him too. If I go in there, that will take all morning because when she and I get talking, we don't shut up! LOL

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #315 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:22pm

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:23pm by Veridian Etoile »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #316 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 3:51pm

Okay... So I've been thinking about my own author's page and I'm REALLY considering one of two original photos for the cover picture. One is more of a "romance author" theme and the other one would show a setting for one of the scenes from NR, as in the "location" of where a scene took place.

The location picture would have a quote from NR on it. I may just slap the saying I have on my profile pics on the romance author picture. I have to talk to my BIL about a trip to a local site to see if we can get the "setting" picture done and hopefully soon, before the snow flies and it gets too cold. I'm considering black and white for the "setting" scene too, but we'll take pics in B&W, "Sepia" and color to see what works best.

I have an idea of what I'd like for the avatar too. It would be taken in the same local spot as the setting picture and like that one, it'll be done in sepia, black and white and color to see what works best. The avatar will probably be a picture of me from a distance.

If things turn out as half as good as I hope, the pics will be amazing. My BIL is an amazing photographer so I'm hoping he's ready for a short road trip because I already know which setting I want and what kind of day I'd like for it! LOL

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #317 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 10:52am

Day 5 of "After Draft 1"...

I'm still going nutso... So far I've completed THREE dream catchers, scanned a zillion pics into the computer, played with my new copier/printer/scanner a LOT, played a few games in Bejeweled 3, played some slot games offline (we have several slot games on the computer), tried NOT to bite the fingernails, and have been just going completely out of my mind.

NR is still VERY fresh in the brain and I'm wanting to work on it. I keep thinking I should add something new to it or edit but if I do that now, I won't be able to catch any mistakes that I would if I let it sit for a few days.

I was really good yesterday... I didn't open it at all but the shortcut to draft 2 is still on the taskbar, and each time I see it I want to dive right into it.

I'd work on #6 or the RH rewrite, or bounce around ideas for my next full length novel but NR is still too fresh in the brain. I can't read because NR is still THERE and won't let me get into anything else right now.

Last night I HAD to get away from the computer again... I had the sudden urge to open Draft 2, convert it to double space, print it off and start editing the printed copy. So it was either hand the computer over to Son and watch Jeopardy or do something I AM NOT SUPPOSED TO DO....

I'm letting it sit until Sunday... Hubby is scheduled to have the day off that day and said something about taking Son to his mother's for a few hours and possibly go bowling... I'm not allowed to go along either. So if I am alone that day, I will be opening NR, printing off as much as the ink cartridge will let me and I'll be diving into the editing that day, offline.

I just hope I can hold out that long, I'm wanting to gnaw at the monitor and I have the shakes... I still feel like a squirrel on speed and I do NOT like it at all.

May the gods help me, I HATE THIS!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #318 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 1:32am

Day 12 of letting NR "perk"...

The RH rewrite is coming along, slowly but surely. The characters and the story haven't fully settled into the brain yet so I'm not zooming through it like I zoomed through the latter part of NR.

However, ideas for it are coming to me again and it's starting to come more into focus. I wrote down something like 10 new ideas in the 90 minutes between the time Son got off the bus and Hubby got home (that's when I installed the new modem)... I added a few more things to the basic idea of the story, arranged it so the main characters will spend some time together (NO over 18 scenes yet, this is the build up to that!) and am now in the process of trying to figure out how to get things moving on several fronts.

Like I said in other spots, this story is VERY fast paced compared to NR... From start to finish, NR takes place over about 15 years... RH happens in less than a year. I'm really going to have to make sure everything is covered, FULLY in each chapter and that I don't go off on tangents, etc.

Chapter 1 is over 7000 words and covers only two days... BUT a lot of information comes to the reader in that short amount of time and they will see just how... "fiery"... the leading lady is as well as just how calm, wise and cool the leading man tends to be.

It's going to be a challenging rewrite but something tells me when things REALLY get going with it, it's going to be a fun story to do and a LOT better than the original was in the end! LOL

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #319 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:59pm

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2012 at 1:00pm by Veridian Etoile »  

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #320 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:45pm

Whee.............................  Smiley

Today was the best writing day I've had since I finished NR's first draft. I got over TEN pages added but there was a LOT of "dialogue" so only 4,000 words were added. It took me a while to get into it but when I did.... YIKES. Things came VERY fast!  Smiley

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Chapter 2 right now... Keep in mind the chapters in RH are going to be LONGER than NR's are because so much happens in a VERY short time.

Eyes are crossed and the brain is mooshy.  Smiley

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #321 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:22pm

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #322 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 2:21pm

I've been going through my blogs of the last year and oh boy how much things have changed even with the stories I am NOT working on!

Even my original thought to make NR a stand alone book went by the wayside.... Speaking of which, I'm wondering if I should open it sooner than I had planned because I need INFO out of it... Cheesy

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #323 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 4:54pm

Well, I have a few changes to make in NR, some information I had was OUT OF DATE... Good thing it's only in Draft 2 else I'd be REALLY TICKED OFF.........

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #324 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 6:15pm

I think NR has perked long enough so I think tomorrow, I'll open it up and start the full edit on it with verb tensing, etc and update the information that wasn't fully right in it.

I also need some stuff out of it for something else so I may as well get two things done at once while I'm doing that.

I need more black ink and I'm going to see what the prices are at various spots in town... Maybe Hubby will pick up a cartridge or two for me on his way home on payday.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 
Send TopicPrint