Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic What's Happening XXXIX: The Post Before Christmas! (Read 26393 times)
Veridian Etoile
God Member

Re: What's Happening XXXIX: The Post Before Christmas!
Reply #100 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 7:10pm

The car is DONE and Hubby will be driving it home from work this evening. I hope that's IT for stuff on it for a VERY long time................

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #101 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 10:15pm

I know how you feel. The van is STILL waiting at the shop -- the engine hasn't arrived yet.

Moonie's book on cake decorating came today along with my book on bookbinding. I just ordered the second cake book for Moonie. The "decorating books" aren't supposed to be a "home study course" but I'm betting that we can figure it out. Heh! I've done a pretty good job all these years as a "self taught" decorator....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #102 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 12:06am

Next week should be "normal." This business of having a holiday in the middle of the week followed by two work days then the weekend gets confusing. If it weren't for my wristwatch, I wouldn't know for sure what day it is.

Post # 31,513
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2013 at 3:48am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #103 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 12:30am

Normal would be nice Smiley  Even without holidays the Bloke's changing shifts make it hard for me to keep some days straight.  It's felt like "sunday" since friday.. if that makes any sense.   Smiley

The Bloke is working over New Years so it will be pretty quiet this year.   Probably just have some snacks, a good game or even a good book.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #104 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 1:34am

It makes perfect sense to me, RT! I'll be SO glad when things settle into a routine again or as much of a routine that we ever have.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #105 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 3:47am

I made up three pounds of ground pork into sausage last Thursday and set it in the refrigerator for the flavors to mingle. I just checked. It was almost 3/4 of the way to "frozen." *sigh* I've knocked off 2 pounds of it and put it in the freezer. The remainder will be repacked after I get enough off of the last lump for tonight's pizzas.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #106 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 6:27am

Skywise is home and I'm heading out. There's a lot I want to get done tomorrow and I want to start early.

Everyone sleep well and be safe. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #107 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 1:22pm

I've never made my own sausage before but I have had home-made and it's the best!  Our fridge does that partial freezing thing when it's overly full, which always happens this time of year.  I picked up lettuce for the taco salad, I've got fingers crossed that it hasn't partially frozen on me already...

It is -38 C which is -36 F  but the windchill is -51C which is -60F.  You can actually feel the chill in the house even with the boiler heat.  It actually woke me up!  The new (to us) car has been great in this the last couple mornings.  The Bloke has had no problems with it starting and has a real appreciation for the heated seats! 

I think I'll make tea for now.  I need something warm but there is no one else up to share a pot of coffee with!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #108 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 2:07pm

RT, that's a TRUE deep freeze weather wise! Shocked I get cold if the temp hits -20C here and to me, that's COLD, but then again I live in the Maritimes and we generally have warmer winters out here thanks to the ocean's influence. We're gonna hit around -15 or so sometime over the weekend so I'm NOT happy about that, that's cold for us!

Our old side by side fridge used to do partial freezing too, sometimes FULL freezing in the colder weather. The temperature gauge in it was broken and I was pretty fed up with it. I couldn't keep anything fresh fruit or veggie wise in it, unless I wanted it frozen solid. NOT good for things like lettuce, apples, tomatoes, etc. We inherited Nanny's old fridge a while back and it's a LOT better. It was a much newer fridge and in some ways, a lot bigger. I like it. Cheesy

I'm here but I'm going to be quiet... I haven't been sleeping well the last while and am not feeling the best because of it. I see a few gallons of coffee in my immediate future.....

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #109 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 3:41pm

That damp cold can be very chilling, it really gives one a new appreciation for wool!  I'm already back in bed.  With my books and my phone.  It's not as easy to post from but my tablet died on me.. I can also read my Kobo and kindle books off the phone.   I've got 4 books on the go and my mail showed up at 8:30, you could have knocked me over with a feather!  I have never received it that early.  Thinking someone wants to party this evening!    I'll be here n there as I do need to get up and potter soon.  Need to cook up some farmer's sausage and make some dips.  Keep warm!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #110 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 3:52pm

Our mail generally comes before noon our time and the only thing we get for the most part is junk and bills. Roll Eyes Nothing good, although I SHOULD order something from Amazon so I have something to look forward to.... I'm debating between my favorite singer's new album, the America's Test Kitchen's complete recipe book and DVD collection or new speakers for the computer, haven't decided yet. I may go for the speakers AND the new CD, and just set a little aside each month for the cookbooks/DVD combo so I have something to look forward to during the spring..... Cheesy

It's always cold in the computer area this time of year, even when it's somewhat warm outside (read: above freezing) and both the infared and halogen heaters on. It's -11C out there (about 12 F in American) so I'm thinking about making some whipped topping and indulging in some hot chocolate or another cup of coffee to stay warm. This is cold compared to our "seasonal" stuff so we're NOT used to this... It's the coldest December my area has seen in a long time, over ten years.

You stay warm too, and pop in when you can!  Smiley We'll be here. Wink

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #111 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 4:22pm

I has hot chocolate..... Mmm......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #112 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 4:40pm

Morning.
I've been up for about an hour getting caught up before I start being useful. Dishes and laundry and cleaning in my future! ICK!!

That is COLD, RT! It isn't that bad here, thank goodness, or I'd be sealing the unused exterior doors with layers of news paper and duct tape! Windows too!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #113 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 9:19pm

And we're back. FINALLY.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #114 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 9:21pm

Yeah, no kidding! At least I got some work done downstairs between checks to see if we were back up or not.

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #115 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 9:44pm

I didn't get anything done... fell asleep again..  Roll Eyes  Starting to wonder if I'll make it to midnight tonight or if I'll catnap through that too!  It's just finger food and salads tonight anyway so not much to actually do. 

it's warmed up considerably now -29C , -36C with wc(-20F with wc -33F).  They are saying these are the coldest temperatures MB has seen in about a decade, I call bs on that or it must be a provincial average because I have been seeing the low temps here every December/January since I can remember.

I did pick up a can of candycane hc during boxing sales.. maybe I should try a cup!  Thanks for reminding me!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #116 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 9:48pm

It's cold here but not as cold as it is up there! A state of affairs for which I am PATHETICALLY GRATEFUL! I expect it to be cold this time of year but not that darn cold!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #117 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 10:07pm

It "can" get that cold over here sometimes but thankfully it is NOT very often! We've had nights where the windchill was -70 C (not sure what that is in F) but that's a VERY rare thing.

Living in Canada's hurricane central isn't always great but at least that ocean DOES help with keeping things "warmer" in the winter over this way!!!!

No problem, RT! I have some vanilla hazelnut coffee in the freezer that Mom in law gave me for Christmas (it went with the Doctor Who mug), and I may open that and have a cup in the morning to ring in the new year... Cheesy

IP Logged

Ravens Tears
God Member

Reply #118 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 10:37pm

I've gotten the sausage into the oven, debating whether I should cook up some sauerkraut in the drippings when it's done.  I hadn't had any in years but I read it's good for diabetics so I figured I would try it again.   Don't know if anyone else will appreciate me this evening though if I eat it! LOLS! Grin  I've also got some fresh mushrooms so I am going to throw those together with a little butter, garlic, capers and lemon and bake them.  Just as nice as escargot but I can actually chew the mushrooms! 

Even though it gets real cold here in the winter I don't mind it too much.  We have  a fairly short tornado season here and I know I couldn't handle the hot summers down south.   The cold is generally very dry here so if you can protect yourself from the wind and wear a decent layer of insulation you can usually go about your business safely.  I spent a couple months  on the east coast during winter once and it was the damp that got me every time!  It might only be -10 but it was cold!  Luckily I wasn't there during any hurricaines but there was a syzygy event that caused waves so high and strong it broke chucks out of the sea wall along Revere Beach in Mass.  I will never forget that!

And the fast food stand with deep fried clams and lobster salad rolls...  Why is it No matter how many decades it's been I always remember food and weather? Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #119 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 11:28pm

You remember the important things, RT!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
God Member

Reply #120 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 11:38pm

I love the east coast, actually... I grew up here and although yeah, the hurricanes in the summer and snow-canes in the winter drive me nuts, it's not so bad MOST of the time... Cheesy

On that note, I'm on my way out. Have a great night everyone, and...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #121 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 3:33am

Dinner's cooking. No word yet on whether or not Skywise will get home before midnight......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #122 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 4:16am

YES!!

Skywise just called! He's escaped from the post office and he's on his way! It will be close but he expects to make it in time.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2014 at 4:17am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #123 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 4:52am

HE'S HERE!!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #124 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 5:00am

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

flutes-roses_001.gif ( 185 KB | Downloads )
flutes-roses_001.gif

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41
Send TopicPrint