Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble...... (Read 13123 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble......
Reply #550 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 4:57am
Print Post  
     It has occurred to me this evening that once our Ecto is finished and out and about and the group is up and running, people are going to think that it was all Skywise’s idea and that I’m just along for the ride. Not at all fair but that’s what people will assume 'cause.... most women aren't interested in things like this.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2022 at 4:58am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #551 - Feb 9th, 2022 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I've joined a new private GB group on Facebook: EctoUpfitters. It's for people building Ectos and they don't give hoot if your project is "screen accurate" or not. I've been reluctant to mention much about our project because of trolls/bullies/elitists. This group promises to be free of that. So yeah, iz happy!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #552 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 1:28am
Print Post  
More "happy".
While rooting around in the basement, I found a ¾ inch ball valve that I can use on Ghost. I was looking at them in Rural King and they were too expensive but now I have one that costs me nothing so.... iz happy!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #553 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I'm sitting here with an important "Danger" sign for Ghost.
DANGER: Plasma Conversion Unit

It will go on a locked cabinet inside Ghost with possibly/hopefully some appropriate sound effects coming from inside.
Ecto 1A and the Ecto ATC/2016  both run on plasma energy generated by the particle accelerator on the roof rack and some of that plasma energy has to be converted to electricity to power everything except the proton packs. How this is done is above my pay grade so I'm taking it on faith! Regardless, that is how Ghost will be powered.
[Pay no attention to the gas intake port or the huge battery under the hood. Those are "set dressing"!  Smiley]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #554 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Currently brainstorming a revised design for one or maybe two multi-directional microphones for Ghost since the design I had only "worked" if it rotated -- which it won't given how it will have to be attached to the roof rack.
I'm considering everything, including Wiffle balls......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #555 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Microphone problem solved.
Or nearly so.
I've ordered two of these and once I have them, figuring out how to make them work will commence!

microphone_grill.jpg ( 37 KB | 4 Downloads )
microphone_grill.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #556 - Feb 13th, 2022 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Iz happy. Smiley Smiley
One of the members in the EctoUpfitters group posted a link this morning to a company that sells used parts suitable for Ecto builds. Things that are extremely expensive new, like lightbars. Also sirens, control panels and other interesting stuff. I've been wondering what I was going to substitute for the lightbars -- among other things -- and now I have a source for "used" that will be much easier on the budget especially if I shop carefully. So more   Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #557 - Feb 13th, 2022 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Currently making a list of what will go on Ghost.
I've started with the major/obvious stuff -- the Particle Accelerator, helium and hydrogen tanks.
Now I'll move on to the things that need to be on it, like a siren, PA system and lightbars, next.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #558 - Feb 14th, 2022 at 4:04am
Print Post  
It was just announced about 30 minutes ago that Ivan Reitman died in his sleep last night. It was completely unexpected. No cause of death has been announced, probably because they haven’t had a chance to find out. Of course, there’s no word on what will happen with Ghost Corps now. It was his “baby”. Maybe Jason or one of his daughters will take over but we won’t know that for days if not weeks.
     I’ve shared the announcement to the SCI GB page. My first post there in ages. *sniff*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #559 - Feb 14th, 2022 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
This pretty much covers it.

Edited to add: Stupid software deleted my attachment.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2022 at 11:27pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #560 - Feb 15th, 2022 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
While I'm waiting for the pain in my left leg to ease up enough for me to actually DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE I'm looking at digital recorders and "ghost boxes" (a type of scanner) for Ghost. I don't intend to buy either since they are going to be fancy props in Ghost and not actual, working ghosthunting equipment. So, since we're going to build them as "base stations", I'm looking at what's out there to get ideas. Skywise knows more about electronics than I do so he'll probably have some ideas. There might even be some "retired" equipment around here that we can repurpose/adapt for the project. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #561 - Feb 15th, 2022 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Iz pleased. Smiley
I found a project box that fits my "visualization" of what I want to put in Ghost. I'll order two of them as soon as I put some money on my Netspend card -- may get more later. American Science and Surplus has all sorts of toggles, rocker switches and other electronic doo-dads so we're set there. I haven't checked Radio Shack's online presence yet but I will later. Right now, "laundry" calls.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #562 - Feb 22nd, 2022 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
I asked a question in the EctoUpfitters group and instead of an answer, I got a lot of sexist jerks telling the dumb little girl that what I want to do is dangerous and/or impossible. Only ONE GUY said that with proper safeguards, it could be done. The jerks jumped on him for a while then they started making fun of me.  Smiley
That made me mad.
It made Skywise mad too.
I am now even more determined to make this work.
And I've figured out how to make the Particle Accelerator even more stable on the roof rack. Just have to figure out the sequence of tasks for the assembly instructions.

Today (2/22/22) a guy posted all the things I couldn't do if I used 55 gallon drums for the Particle Accelerator. Most of them were lame reasons.
"Too tall. Can't use a drive-thru". Get off your butt and go inside to do your business.
"Too tall. Can't park in a parking garage". Do research and find an alternative.
"Too tall. Can't fit under a valet parking canopy". Same as above.
"Weight". Buy a van with heavy duty suspension and shocks.
"Drag". Install a fairing if needed after road tests.
And, of course "Use something smaller". Like I haven't already nearly burned out my brain and eyeballs looking -- which I pointed out.
THEN I said that since no one had answered my original question -- has anyone done this before -- I assumed that the answer was "no" and thanked them for their time.
I expect to be called a "bitch" and my reply to that will be.... "You have NO idea..."  Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2022 at 8:10pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #563 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Well, the owner of the Ecto group did not react well to my response. He gave me a "dressing down" and locked the thread. I've unfollowed the group so I won't see it unless I go looking for it and I probably won't. So Skywise and I will have to figure it out ourselves. The first thing to do is find out exactly how heavy the barrels I want to use are. Fortunately, we can do that the next time we're at Rural King. Once we know that, I'll know how to proceed. I've found a "cradle" for 55 gallon barrels online. Expensive but the design is simple so.... the wheels are turning.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #564 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 3:17am
Print Post  
I've found a cradle that would fit the Particle Accelerator that I want to make. It would cost about $200 which means I'd have to save a little more money but it could be worth it. The barrel that fits on it is shorter than my design and considerably more expensive and I could save up even more money and get that if I had to.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #565 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Thanks to the Damned Dinkmobile breaking down and needing repairs over and over, the Ghost Project looks in doubt. If we have to replace the Dinkmobile there won't be any "spare" money to buy a van and turn it into an Ectomobile and I won't let us go into debt to do it. Paying for the replacement would be more than enough debt for the next five years.  Cry
I've already purchased some items for it that I won't be able to use but I don't regret doing it. I'll pack them away with a "maybe someday..."
Maybe there will be a miracle.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #566 - Mar 8th, 2022 at 12:56am
Print Post  
The Dinkmobile appears to be fixed finally so I'm cautiously optimistic that the Ghost Project can go forward eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later...

I've found out how and with what we can build a roof rack, how to secure the rack to the roof without drilling holes in it, how to secure the plywood base to the roof rack, how to secure the "particle accelerator" to said roof rack so it won't roll off and kill someone -- as some Smiley has insisted will happen -- and what additional cool equipment can go on the roof that will help it look cutting edge "21st Century" rather than "1980/90s".

I'm still thinking about the interior in general terms since I don't know how much room I'm going to have. I know that there will be an iMac computer with keyboard, mouse and backup harddrive in there. A heavy duty RV battery of some sort will be installed to power this equipment -- yes, I've researched those -- 'cause I have NO faith whatsoever in "solar". And, needless to say, a rack to secure and "charge" our proton packs, storage for other equipment and the "yet to be designed" Extremely Big Gun which will connect directly to the supercharged plasma storage tube and have enough punch to give Godzilla pause...
So plans are shaping up nicely. NOW all we need is financing...
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2022 at 7:35pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #567 - Mar 10th, 2022 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
The ¾ to 2 inch increasing/reducing couplers I ordered just arrived.  Smiley They're by a different manufacturer than the rest of my PVC so they fit a little tight but that's nothing I can't fix with a file. It might be a problem if I was going to use them in something that involved significant water pressure but since I'm not.. it's not a problem and as soon as the rest of the pieces I've ordered arrive, I'll get started making "microphones".

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #568 - Mar 11th, 2022 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
The black PVC pipe and the "table caps" for the 1¼ in. pipe arrived today so I can start designing both the Air Sampler (1¼ in. pipe) and the EVP microphones (black PVC). I've also ordered the 6 in. PVC pipe for the Long Range PKE meters just now so I'll be able to put them together once it's here. I won't be painting them until I can do it outside due to the mess (spray paint) and need for ventilation. I'll probably paint the Power Cell at the same time and for the same reasons.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #569 - Mar 12th, 2022 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Just ordered a book that should help me plan and build Ghost's interior when the time comes. The book is intended to guide you through a complete "van to RV" conversion which is way more than what I intend but I expect it to guide me through putting in what I'll need for Ghost's equipment.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2022 at 10:51pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #570 - Mar 24th, 2022 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I've been finding more help online in the "vanlife" community than in the above-mentioned book and I've been copying articles like mad but..... there is something else equally urgent that needs to be addressed.

My GB group's only online presence is on Facebook and I've come to the conclusion that I no longer want it there. Not only is it inadequate for the group's future needs but I don't care for the "strings" that FB attaches to everything on their platform. "Free" on Facebook isn't really free and I'm increasingly unhappy about how the platform is operated.
We will just leave it at that....  Smiley
So now is the time to make the change while the group is "inactive". To do that, I'm going to have to learn to build a website for it AND install it as a "sub-domain" of Sanctuary. I'll use what I can from the group's facebook page and it will take some time to do it right but I have time and I expect that the techs at HostMonster will be happy to help me install the subdomain when the time comes.  I don't know exactly when South Central Indiana Ghostbusters will become "active" but I intend to have my ducks in a row and my cats herded when it does.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2022 at 12:26am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #571 - Mar 26th, 2022 at 12:31am
Print Post  
After doing enough research to require aspirin for the headache I developed as a result, I've decided that WordPress is the way to go, at least for the foreseeable future. It appears that it will do what I want to do without too much trouble and since I don't want to start monkeying around with Sanctuary until I'm sure that I know what I'm doing, I'll take the "safest" option. After all the blood, sweat, tears and strong language that has gone into Sanctuary, I don't want to risk messing it up!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #572 - Mar 26th, 2022 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
I've read some in the Wordpress book that will be here tomorrow using Amazon's "See inside" feature and learned that I can use a Wordpress feature called "Local" which will allow me to work on SCI GB's future page on my desktop without loading it on HostMonster. I'll be able to fiddle, tweak, adjust and generally play with it without worrying about messing Sanctuary up. I'll only need to put it on HostMonster when I'm ready to go "LIVE" with it.
This makes me happy.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #573 - Mar 29th, 2022 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Concerning my WordPress project -- I’ve figured out how to add “employee profiles” to a word document which will, at some point, go into the future WordPress page for SCI GB. I won’t be able to change them once they’re in the document -- screenshots of the originals -- but I can change them by updating the originals, then taking a screenshot and replacing the old profile with the updated one. So that little technical problem is solved. There are more problems, of course, probably some I’m not even aware of yet but I'll handle them as they come up. That is what "practice" is for.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #574 - Mar 30th, 2022 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Decided on one new piece of equipment for our version of the Ectomobile. The way things are going, we'll have all the interior equipment and most of the exterior in hand before we have the van. Moonie has said that she'll donate her computer to the project once she gets her "new" computer. It will be the centerpiece of the interior and I've already figured out how to secure it so -- barring a wreck -- it will stay put!
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2022 at 4:40am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 
Send TopicPrint