Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Weather (Read 36293 times)
Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Re: Weather
Reply #100 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Your temps are going up and down like ours do Penth.

It's currently -4 C/ and cloudy here. We had a dusting of snow last night. *GAGGING*

Here's the updated weather news for my end of Nova Scotia...

Lunenburg County:

Tuesday, Feb. 22: Mostly cloudy with sunny periods. High: -4 C/ 25 F. Low: -8 C/ 18 F.

Wednesday, Feb. 23: Variable clouds. High: -4 C/25 F. Low: -8 C/18 F.

Thursday, Feb. 24: Sunny with cloudy periods. High: 0 C/32 F. Low: -9 C/ 16 F.

Friday, Feb. 25: Mixed snow and rain. High: +4 C/ 39 F. Low: -3 C/ 27 F. Snow accumulation: 2-4 cm or 1-1.75 inches. Rain: 10 mm.

Saturday, Feb. 26: Mixed snow and rain. High: +1 C/ 34 F. Low: -9 C/16 F. Snow accumulation: 1 cm or less than 1/2 an inch. Rain: 1 mm.

Sunday, Feb. 27: Light snow. High: 0 C/32 F. Low: -9 C/ 16 F. Snow accumulation: 10+ cm or over 4 inches.

*SWEARING*

Gah, more snow on the way!!! Angry I wonder if any of my friends on the west coast want to come over and make snowmen after this coming weekend????

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

Smiley Music is essential to life. ~Me~ Smiley

I'm sunny natured with a side of EVIL...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #101 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Right now it is 31 degrees -- ie 'below freezing' -- and we're being pelted with tiny snowballs. At least it isn't ice pellets....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #102 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 3:32am
Print Post  
It's raining like hell and NOW I find this...

Winter Weather Advisory:

Issued at: 8:20 PM EST 2/24/11, expires at: 4:30 AM EST 2/25/11
The NWS in Indianapolis has issued a winter weather advisory for snow, which is in effect until 10 am est friday.
Main impact: Roads may become hazardous due to accumulating snow and drifts, blowing snow may reduce visibility, travel may become difficult.
Accumulations: Snowfall amounts will range from 2 to 3 inches along interstate 70 to 4 to 5 inches from fountain county east through frankfort, tipton, muncie and winchester.
Timing: Snow is expected to move into central Indiana during the overnight hours. Accumulating snows should arrive in the Indianapolis metro area by 400 am and continue during the morning rush hours.
Other impacts: A very brief period of freezing rain or sleet may accompany the changeover to snow. Little to no ice accumulation is expected. Strong northeast winds gusting to 25 to 30 mph early Friday will cause blowing and drifting snow. Snow will likely linger through the morning rush hour Friday before ending.
Precautionary/preparedness actions,
A winter weather advisory for snow means that periods of snow will cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow covered roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.

Fortunately, Skywise will be home before it gets nasty (ier!)

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #103 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
It's official!
We have snow.
1.75 inches of heavy, wet stuff.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #104 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
The sun has come out. "Inside of a lightbulb" time...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #105 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Gotta love Nova Scotia weather:

All Alerts In Effect

* Rainfall Warning

Rainfall Warning

Issued at 10:54 AM AST Friday 25 February 2011
Summary

Rainfall amounts of 30 to 60 millimetres are expected by Saturday morning.

Details

An intensifying low pressure system currently located Southeast of the Great Lakes will track across the Maritimes tonight. Rain in advance of this system has begun over western regions of the province and will spread northeastward throughout the day. Heavy rain is expected over much of the province tonight. Total rainfall amounts of 30 to 60 millimetres are forecast for much of the province. Near the New Brunswick border the precipitation will fall mainly in the form of snow with the possibility of some freezing rain. Very strong northerly winds gusting to 90 km/h are forecast for westernmost areas of the province tonight and early Saturday morning. Strong northerly winds will spread across the remainder of the province early Saturday. Rapidly falling temperatures and periods of snow will accompany these strong northerly winds. This will lead to icy conditions Saturday.

30 to 60 mm is about 1 to 2.5 inches, 90 km is about 55 mph.

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing. ~Me~

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #106 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
PLEASE, Dear Gods! Let this be the last gasp of winter!

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #107 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
My thoughts exactly!!!

But knowing how wild our weather is, we could get snow right up until May here. Roll Eyes Gotta love living in the Maritimes, we get the most extreme weather in all of Canada!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #108 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I remember one year when I was watching live coverage of the Opening Day of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and they had a shot of a race car tearing through one of the turns. In the foreground of the shot was a bed of purple pansies..... with snow on them....

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #109 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I can't remember any event that took place in Halifax that had flowers with snow on them. We don't get a lot of televised events happening in our province...

Although the Canada Winter Games are happening right now in Halifax. Whoopie do... Roll Eyes

They're rained out today!!! Grin

IP Logged

Lightdragon
God Member

Reply #110 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
VE: it could be worse for you. you could be living in Winnipeg. for them it would be a hot winter.

anyhow it's raining here.

Do Not Meddle in the Affair of Dragons, for you are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup!
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #111 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
The Indianapolis 500 isn't as important as it once was since it no longer opens the racing season but it was an enormous deal for decades and it still dominates the month of May here. That snow didn't last very long but it sure made an impression on anyone who saw pictures from that day.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #112 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
LD: I agree, I have friends out in Manitoba and if the temp even approaches freezing, they think it's nice outside!! Grin Eh, wild weather or not, I do love living here.. NS is so pretty. Smiley

I am NOT looking forward to hurricane season though... Just over three months to go before that starts and about 5 months to go until a lot of the storms start happening...  Smiley

Penth: I remember how the Indianapolis 500 used to open the racing season, even if I really didn't watch it. Uncle Frank liked watching it if there was a crash or something. Not my thing, I don't like seeing innocents being hurt!!

Now it's all Nascar. Something I'm not really into, although my son likes it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #113 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Yeah, the Track (as it is referred to in Central Indiana) is a very unforgiving place. Fortunately, advances in safety technology have made it safer for the drivers and the fans. It's still a dangerous sport but no longer an automatic death sentence if the car flips over a time or two.
NASCAR leaves me cold. I just can't get into it.
Or Formula 1 either...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #114 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
That's why I don't mind my son watching races so much, safety technology has come a long way since I was his age.

I did watch Nascar due to the guys watching it a few times but it's not nearly as exciting as hockey is to me. And hockey is one of the few things I like about winter.

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #115 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
It's really starting to get windy here... I hope we don't lose our power!!

I think I'll be heading out soon, just in case. I don't want to be online if we do lose the power, it drives me nuts when that happens!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #116 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Tie everything down and we'll talk tomorrow!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #117 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Things got "interesting" last night but we weren't blown or wahsed away but things are still unsettled this morning.

Flood Warning:

Issued at: 8:27 AM EST 2/28/11, expires at: 6:30 PM EST 2/28/11

The NWS in Indianapolis has extended the flood warning for: boone county in central Indiana, clay county in west central Indiana, hendricks county in central Indiana, montgomery county in west central Indiana, morgan county in central Indiana, northern owen county in west central Indiana, northwestern sullivan county in southwest Indiana, parke county in west central Indiana, putnam county in west central Indiana, southern fountain county in west central Indiana, vermillion county in west central Indiana, vigo county in west central Indiana, western marion county in central Indiana,
Until 630 pm est Monday/530 pm cst Monday/
Law enforcement reports indicate that several roads across the warned area continue to be closed due to high water and flooding. Although additional heavy rainfall is not expected today, residual flooding will continue throughout the rest of the day. Flooding of creeks and small streams is also likely.
Some locations that will experience flooding include, crawfordsville, terre haute, brazil, brownsburg, clinton, danville, greencastle, lebanon, martinsville, mooresville, newport, plainfield, rockville and veedersburg.
Do not drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the roadway. The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross safely.

Flood Watch:

Issued at: 4:44 AM EST 2/28/11, expires at: 12:45 PM EST 2/28/11

Flood Watch Remains in effect until 4 pm est this afternoon,
The flood watch continues for
A portion of Indiana, Including The Following areas, bartholomew, Boone, Brown, Clay, Clinton, Daviess, decatur, Delaware, Greene, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, henry, Howard, Jackson, Jennings, Johnson, Knox, lawrence, Madison, Marion, Martin, Monroe, Montgomery, morgan, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Randolph, Rush, Shelby, sullivan, Tipton And Vigo.
Until 4 pm est this afternoon
Heavy rains will continue over portions of south central and east central Indiana until mid morning. Heavy rains last night have produced significant flooding on many streams and creeks.
A flood watch means there is a potential for flooding based on current forecasts.
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action should flooding develop.

IP Logged

Lightdragon
God Member

Reply #118 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
today it's cold and rainy.

Do Not Meddle in the Affair of Dragons, for you are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup!
IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #119 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
We're getting up to 4 inches/10 cm of snow this afternoon.

Joy oh freaking BLISS...  Smiley

At least it won't last long, the temp is supposed to go up above freezing and it's supposed to change over to rain later this evening.

Thank the stars...

IP Logged

Veridian Etoile
Ex Member

Reply #120 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
The changeover from snow to rain has started and the wind has really picked up. What a freaking MESS!!

I think I'm soon going to head out, just in case we lose power. It's almost time to get supper going anyway, for both hoomans and the four legged family members.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #121 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Nite, hon. You're getting the nonsense we had last night. I hope you have a quieter night than we had!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #122 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
And here we go! Hopefully, it won't be a repeat of the 2008 Flood..

Flood Watch:

Issued at: 10:50 AM EST 3/4/11, expires at: 7:00 PM EST 3/4/11

The flood watch continues for a portion of Indiana, including Bartholomew, Boone, Brown, Carroll, Clay, Clinton, Daviess, Decatur, Delaware, Fountain, Greene, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Henry, Howard, Jackson, Jennings, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Madison, Marion, Martin, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Randolph, Rush, Shelby, Sullivan, Tippecanoe, Tipton, Vermillion, Vigo and Warren.

From this evening through Saturday evening
Widespread rainfall totals over 2 inches are possible by Saturday evening. The heaviest rain is expected tonight into early Saturday. This amount of rain will cause flooding of low lying areas and make streams rise. Ongoing river flooding is likely to get worse. In some areas the strongest flood response could be hours after heavy rain ends.
A flood watch means there is a potential for flooding based on current forecasts.
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action should flooding develop.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #123 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
It's warm and thundering. I think I'm going to go offline for a while. Got stuff to think about away and that is best down away from the comp.
Later.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #124 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
It's been "early summer warm" the last few days and now a cold front is on the way. That probably means I'll be offline part of the afternoon. Maybe a large part.
It is currently raining with thunder. There is nothing on the radar....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33
Send TopicPrint