Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The "It's all for Alex" thread! (Read 18327 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The "It's all for Alex" thread!
Reply #75 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
It sounds beautiful! Smiley I can understand the ladies' consternation but this is a little DarkPrincess we are talking about! Pink fluffy stuff is NOT gonna fly, even if she turns out to be the ultimate "girly girl" she's going to have her own distinct style and I DON'T see it being the Olsen Twins or Hanna Montana or whoever the "flavor of the year" is! I should have the first two pieces done by the end of the weekend. I've had to do some ripping out and backtracking and that's slowed me down. The second set will go faster since I have all the "problems" solved. Gods willing, we WILL hit the fabric stores this weekend, I WILL get what I need and the fabric scraps will fly!  I'm thinking the end of April as the latest mailing date and we should be able to make that. Grandma might have to use Express Mail to them there in time if FR has an early due date.
I'm going to take pictures too for posting. It is also a good idea to have them in case, Gods Forbid, something happens to the package in transit.

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #76 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Her due date is May 12th... how did I not post that before?

I really have baby-brain apparently.

Aw, you're both so sweet. Smiley  She's going to be one well-dressed child, that's for sure!  He's already cringing about all of the pink stuff we've gotten from well-meaning grandma's, so I know he'll appreciate the more gothic variety items.

He's already looking for infant "skater" wear for girls.  As popular as some of those styles are, you'd think you'd be able to find cargos and camo and the like... but not so much!

We got her crib set up and everything (it's dark cherry) and are working on the rest of the nursery.  Only one more month to go!!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
hehehehe Once I get these projects done, I'll see what I can do about more "gothy" clothing for our little princess. I'll probably start out at the 3 month size. The little darlings grow like weeds and you will want to wear out all of that pink stuff as soon as possible! I've already got an idea for a 'dressy' outfit for Samhain... Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #78 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I've done a little quick checking around the web and it doesn't look like there is much skater gear for the diaper set. Probably because you have to be in the upper single digits agewise before you can really skateboard. Smiley I gotta think about this.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Hmmm...right now I'm considering the possibilities of baby Goth sundresses. And camo onesies (if I can get my hands on some camo in flannel) and other highly unorthodox combinations of baby patterns and non-traditional fabrics.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #80 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Well, I may have time to knit one more dress before my mailing deadline. I was thinking of a sun dress type of thing that should grow with her for some time. It's one of those things that will go three seasons--add a shirt under it for cooler weather. As she grows it will go from a dress to a top, so maybe she will get more use out of it. I will have to see what I can do to make sure it won't look outdated in a year as well.

I might change my mind though and knit a cute black pullover sweater I found. I have this idea I can duplicate stitch some skull and crossbones motifs on it if I can find a small enough chart. LOL

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #81 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 2:13am
Print Post  
You simply HAVE to do a skull and crossbones sweater for her! If not now, then later. Can you imagine the looks on the faces of the unsuspecting when they realize what the pattern is? That alone would be worth the hassle of finding a small enough chart! I just wish that the "Halloween" specialty prints were still out. hehehe I'd have a ball....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #82 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 1:55am
Print Post  
I've been looking over what's done.
Estimating what's left to do -- in this shipment. hehehehehehe
And I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna need bigger gift bags. Lots bigger....
I'll save the gift bags I already have for later use.
Yeah, I'm getting ideas.....  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #83 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 3:56am
Print Post  
I've been prowling the websites of some of the major pattern companies and I've found several patterns I want to look more closely at -- as in have the thing in my hands reading the back of the envelope! Smiley A couple look promising for that above mentioned Samhain outfit. I have some ideas for fabrics that shouldn't be too outrageous for infant wear. More research is needed!
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2008 at 4:02am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #84 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I found some flannel -- 100% cotton -- with a camo pattern printed on it. I'll get some, wash it and see if it comes out soft enough for baby things.

Skywise has given us a mailing tip, BR. We should pin the address (it can be the return address or the destination address) onto every item that we send before we wrap them. That way, if Gods forbid, the package is so badly damaged that the contents are scattered, the "Loose Mail" department will know where to send the goodies and they will, free of charge. So, no matter what, the DarkPrincess will get her goodies!

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #85 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Good idea!

I have good news, and bad news.....

I just found the perfect buttons for the dress. Yay! Bad news? They have to be shipped from Hong Kong....which takes ten days to three weeks. Sad   Smiley

The buttons I found are neat! I found red bats with white fangs, black bats with white fangs, and two different black cats! Now I dunno whether to order them and hope they come in time, or order them and send the button(s) later. *sigh*

I may just do a knot button after all.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #86 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Oh, and when you wash the camo fabric, throw some tennis shoes in with it to beat it into softness.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #87 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Or you could go ahead and order the buttons and have them on hand for the next project. If they arrive in time, great! If not, you can still go with the knot button.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Black_Rose wrote on Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:41pm:
Oh, and when you wash the camo fabric, throw some tennis shoes in with it to beat it into softness.

Black Rose

Hmmm.... small problem with that. NONE of us wear tennis shoes. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #89 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
We had to go into town to get a new battery for the lawnmower and, of course, we HAD to stop at Wal-Mart at Spirit's insistence. She wanted a new DVD. LOL Anyway, I hit the pattern counter and found the patterns I will need for Aleksey's DarkPrincess Samhain outfit. Now all I have to do is find exactly the right materials and guess how much she is going to weigh by then! I won't start sewing it before the first of Octo-boo [family joke] so keep me informed of her weight gain, FR!

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #90 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Well, looks like I have run out of project time after all. I still hope to maybe get something done before "mail time", but at this point I think I am probably done for this batch.

LOL Penth, you seem to have all kinds of "Alex" projects lined up!

Hope we hear from FR soon!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #91 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
*giggle* What can I say? I'm a sucker for little people. Particularly little girl people! And yeah, the ideas just keep coming. With the blessing of the Sewing Gods, I'll be finished with this shipment by next week and can start wrapping, boxing and shipping! Fortunately, thanks to Nike, I have packing peanuts coming out of my ears! And I hope we hear from FR soon too. She should have about 20 days to go, if Alex doesn't decide to jump the gun and arrive early.

IP Logged

FuryRising

Aware of Everything; Touched
by Nothing.

Reply #92 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 3:37am
Print Post  
I'm alive, if not exactly perky. Wink  I had forgotten how miserable the last few weeks of pregnancy can be... (how that's possible, not even sure.  Must be a survival mechanism for the species.)

We've got about 2 weeks left to go.  Hopefully she'll hang in there until at least the 5th  (think paid leave!!), and then she can come whenever she wants.  (Though I don't think her daddy is all that keen on the idea of sharing his b-day... but anyway.)

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #93 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 3:54am
Print Post  
FuryRising wrote on Apr 26th, 2008 at 3:37am:
I'm alive, if not exactly perky. Wink  I had forgotten how miserable the last few weeks of pregnancy can be... (how that's possible, not even sure.  Must be a survival mechanism for the species.)

We've got about 2 weeks left to go.  Hopefully she'll hang in there until at least the 5th  (think paid leave!!), and then she can come whenever she wants.  (Though I don't think her daddy is all that keen on the idea of sharing his b-day... but anyway.)
I hear you! We had a "false alarm" on Skywise's b-day but Moonie decided she wanted her own b-day, thank you very much so she waited a few more days! But the DarkPrincess, being a Taurus, will come when she pleases.  Trust me, she will be a stubborn little thing starting with her first breath!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #94 - May 1st, 2008 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Since we are getting down to the wire, I'm going to wrap and prepare to ship what I have finished. I just hope I have a big enough box in the basement. I'll be shipping no later than Monday the 5th. Promise. FR, I'll email you when I send it. There will be a second box a bit later. I'm not sure when it will be ready to go.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #95 - May 2nd, 2008 at 4:02am
Print Post  
I'm hoping to mail on the 5th as well. I shall also either email or PM when they are sent.

must. take. pics. of. baby. things.

It's been rather a disorganized last few weeks here. I hope to do better after tomorrow.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #96 - May 2nd, 2008 at 4:57am
Print Post  
I've got everything in gift boxes and bags and it doesn't look like I have the right sized box on hand and if Wal-Mart doesn't have any the right size, I'll have to hit Office Max on Saturday. I hope the Grandma to be can get it to FR in time.  Undecided

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #97 - May 3rd, 2008 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I got a box today. It's 18 x 18 x 20 inches and everything (two gift boxes and two gift bags) fits with room for packing peanuts. Every piece has a little tag with the address tied to it so if the worst happens, the Post Office will know where to send the loot! But the worst isn't going to happen 'cause years ago, I asked Skywise if a package I had ready for mailing was wrapped well enough. He took it, tossed it across the room. It bounced off the wall and landed on the floor. It didn't split open so he pronounced it good enough. So, I pack accordingly. Smiley Barring some unforseen circumstance, I'll haul it to the Post Office tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #98 - May 3rd, 2008 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Everything is in the box, including a mother lode of packing peanuts! Nothing in it is breakable but I STILL don't want anything rattling around. And a fully packed box doesn't smash as easily! [Not that the Post Office deliberately smashes packages!] I packed it in layers so the bows wouldn't get smashed -- I hope! I haven't sealed it just yet but barring something unforeseen, it should go out tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #99 - May 3rd, 2008 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
IT'S AWAY!!!!

We dropped the box off at the local Post Office this morning. It will be processed in Indianapolis tonight. The clerk said that it should be at Grandma's by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. I hope she has time to "reship" it out to where they are before the DarkPrincess makes her debut!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint