Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Penthesilea's Castle...posts 1900 to 2099 (Read 15941 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Castle...posts 1900 to 2099
Reply #125 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:40am

#2033  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Jasmine considered that possibility.  “You’re probably right,” she conceded. “He’s the Lord Marshall here and he would have to take Lord Duncan’s orders.” Jasmine dropped into the nearest chair to sulk. “I don’t have to like it though! He should have come to see me first!”
     “He was likely intending to be discreet.  You and Sir Michael are the talk of the Castle and Kodiak is the Lord Marshall. ”
     “I guess you are right.” Jasmine sat brooding while Miranda fetched them both glasses of brandy. “I’m going to need a dress. A dress so spectacular that no one will look at Penthesilea when I walk in wearing it!”
     Miranda smiled. “I think that between us, we can come up with something that will top her, no matter what she chooses. Your sense of style is much better than hers.” That was a bare faced lie but Jasmine bought it. Jasmine smiled and with their brandies in hand, they set about designing the dress.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #126 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:42am

#2034     Penthesilea

The Keyholder walks through the quiet halls, savoring the peace. “Nice that things are quiet tonight. (sighs) It'll get crazy again -- probably before I'm ready. I suppose that if I wanted a dull life I'd have joined the Virgins of Hestia......" She walks off into the shadows, laughing under her breath.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #127 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:43am

#2035   Penthesilea

The Keyholder's Bedroom

The day dawns cold and wet. The Keyholder looks out her window and sighs.  “I suppose the good weather was too good to last. Winter's coming.”  There is a knock at the door and at the Keyholder's word, her youngest daughter, SpiritFire, enters. “Since when do you knock?”

SpiritFire: Since Grai came back. (grins) I didn't want to interrupt anything.

The Keyholder: (groans) Not you too! Your grandfather is giving me a hard enough time!

SpiritFire: You've been entirely too serious lately, Mother. Since Bladeraven had to leave, you don't laugh as much.

The Keyholder: I know...and I miss her and Grasshopper but the Castle was just too dangerous for someone as young as Grasshopper. And that was before
all nondenominational hell broke loose. These days (shakes head).... As much as I miss her, she and Grasshopper are better off in that nice safe reality she found.

SpiritFire: I'm sure she'll be back to visit once in a while.

The Keyholder: Me too. (gets back to the matter at hand) You didn't come down here to tease me about my nonexistent love life. What's up?

SpiritFire: I've finished my examination of the vampire that attacked you. The corpse was very fresh. He was a new vampire, probably turned just before he came after you.

The Keyholder: I was his first? I'm not flattered. Is there more?

SpiritFire: Yes. *She holds out a small metal tray containing something that looks like a cross between a computer chip and and amulet.* I dug this out of his brain. (pause) You know what this is, don't you, Mother?

The Keyholder: (the Keyholder suppresses an involuntary shudder of pure terror) I do. Has MoonCat seen this?

SpiritFire: Unfortunately. She was there when I dug it out and she recognized it immediately. She thinks it may be one that she helped to make.

The Keyholder: How is she?

SpiritFire: Better than I would have expected. She's getting better slowly. I don't know what will happen if she ever sees Him again.

The Keyholder: That will never happen if I can prevent it. (pause) Find a private moment to speak with your grandfather. Don't tell anyone else. Not yet, anyway. I don't want panic.

SpiritFire: He could have sold this to someone else.

The Keyholder: You know as well as I how unlikely that is. (pause) Have you had breakfast? (Spirit shakes her head.) Then, put that thing somewhere very safe, collect your sister and meet me in the Dining Hall. We'll eat and then face what the rest of the day brings. *Spirit leaves and the Keyholder turns her face to the window* Hurry back, Lord Marshall. What we've faced before is a summer shower compared to what I fear is coming.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #128 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:43am

#2036   Penthesilea

The Keyholder's Study

After a hard morning going over the Castle accounts, the Keyholder looks up and rubs the back of her neck. “I need a break.” (thinks for a minute) “I need to see a woman about a dress.” (Gets up and goes in search of Miranda.)

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #129 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:44am

#2037  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Penthesilea finds Miranda hard at work in the sewing room. She has just put the finishing touches on a formal dress for MoonCat. Penth smiles to herself. Moonie isn’t a big one for formal dresses but the royal blue gown with its delicate gold trim will suit her wonderfully.
     Miranda sees Penthesilea enter and comes to greet her.  “Good morning, my Lady. What can I do for you this morning?”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #130 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:44am

#2038     Penthesilea

“I'm fine (a slight shadow passes over her expression, then clears. She is not really fine.) but I'm in desperate need of advice. When the Lord Marshall returns, we are going to have a serious party -- maybe more than one --- and I can't decide. Do I wear that gorgeous black dress you made for my birthday party that the Lord Marshall hasn't seen or should I go with something new?”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #131 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:45am

#2039   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Miranda considers for a moment. “The black may have some residual energy attached to it. It should be magickally cleaned and that will likely take more time than we have. I can make you a completely new dress in considerably less time.” At Penthesilea’s nod, Miranda continues. “What color would you like? A deep green would go well with your hair and eyes or we could be daring and go for something in scarlet.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #132 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:45am

#2040   Penthesilea

“I'll leave the choice of color to you. Surprise me! You should know that I may have to wear my sword if heavy ceremonials are required. Hellion's scabbard and grip are bright red, so the color of my dress shouldn't clash. It probably should be an A-line so the swordbelt doesn't ruin the line of the dress and I'd like a gored skirt. If I have to wear a dress, I want to be able to move! (looks mischievous) And I want a neckline low enough to stop hearts -- without compromising my virtue, of course!”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #133 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:46am

#2041  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Miranda pulls out several sketches and the next hour is spent settling on the details of the new gown. Miranda tries to draw Penthesilea out but she refuses to be led. She likes the seamstress well enough but she also knows of her fondness for gossip and the matter that is bothering the Keyholder is not
something she wants bandied about!
     Once the consultation is over, Penthesilea dresses for the weather and heads out on horseback. The little temple is still being restored and Shankarika hasn’t been at the Castle much being as busy as a High Priestess as Penth is at being Keyholder. But now she needs to talk to her friend and she knows that if anyone can keep her secret it is Shankarika.
     Several sisters have come to join Shankarika in restoring the temple and one of them takes Penthesilea’s horse to the stables while another shows her to her friend’s office. Shankarika looks up from the letter in her hands, takes one look at her friend’s face and sends for their favorite libations and a light meal of sandwiches and hearty soup since they both have managed to miss lunch. They make small talk over their lunch but when they are finished and the plates have been taken away. Shankarika sips at her drink and gets to the point.
     “I can see that something is bothering you, Penth. What is it?”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #134 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:47am

#2042     Penthesilea

The Keyholder hesitates. This is dangerous knowledge! But the people of the Castle will have to know sooner or later.
     “This morning SpiritFire finished her examination of the vampire that attacked me. He carried within his brain a device derived from both magic and technology that is the calling card of a very evil creature who happens to be the father of my daughters.”  The Keyholder's hands begin to shake....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #135 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:48am

#2043  [rewritten by Penthesilea]

Shankarika puts down her her drink and takes Penthesilea’s suddenly cold hands in hers. “Go on.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #136 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:49am

#2044   Penthesilea

“He lives in -- completely controls, actually -- another reality. There are kings and emperors, of course, but they all take orders from him. He can have any female he wants. Several hundred years ago, he decided he wanted me. (Takes a moment....) He kidnapped me and used a combination of spells and drugs to keep me under control. Then he bred me like an animal. MoonCat and SpiritFire are the results. I was with him, I think, for about forty years. Long enough for the girls to grow up and be trained in science and magick. (Another pause. This is difficult and it is a struggle to speak.) We would still be there if he hadn't made a single mistake. He had never drugged the girls or put any spell on them. They were free. You've noticed that MoonCat uses only the simplest of magicks. He was impatient with her progress. His Heir should excel at all things but especially magick. He decided that the best way to release MoonCat's latent abilities was to force her to use them. He decided that the best way to force her was to strap her to a table and apply pain until she summoned enough magick power to break free.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #137 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:51am

#2045  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Shankarika nodded and listened intently even as she was considering their resources and making contingency plans for protecting Penthesilea and her girls.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #138 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:52am

#2046    Penthesilea

“SpiritFire was the one who got us free. She was fighting him when I arrived in the lab. She broke the spells he had on me and purged the drugs from my system while keeping him at bay. We got MoonCat between us and then fled. SpiritFire supplied the power and I the destination. Here. This reality. Home. We've been safe for hundreds of years. He must have been searching for us all this time. And now he has found us and I am terrified! There is no telling how powerful he has become in the interim. He was almost a god then. What is he now?”  Tears begin to slide down the Keyholder's face..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #139 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:53am

#2047     [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Shankarika leaves her seat and sits beside Penthesilea and hugs her. Penthesilea accepts the comfort. The Priestess reminds her of the Amazon Queen who fostered her after her mother fell in battle. She can trust Shan and she knows it.
     “You must remember, hon, that you are much stronger too. Spirit is a powerful sorceress as well and I don’t believe that she and her sister would sit passively while you were taken!” In spite of herself, Penthesilea smiled, recalling the last sorry specimen that had raised the ire of her offspring. Seeing the smile, Shan smiled as well. “See? And you have your brother here now. Do you think that he can be so easily disregarded by someone wishing you harm?” Shan paused for effect. “And what about your father?”
     “Point taken.”
     “And you know that I will help you. You have only to ask.”
     “I know.”
     “What I am most concerned about at the moment is Lord Stephan. Raising that spirit army  was no minor magick!  I also got a good look at the spirits he raised.  Those were not noble spirits and I do not believe that they were willing either.  Whatever he is, he is not what he seems to be.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #140 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:07am

#2048     Penthesilea

Looks up from Shankarika's shoulder. “My only concern with Lord Stephan is that he is trying to drive a wedge between me and the Lord Marshall. He makes accusations and offers no proof and does so while the Lord Marshall is away and cannot answer him. There is also the possibility that he, like that vampire, is an agent of my daughters' father. (pauses) I shall have to think of something to call him in conversation. To speak his real name is to make him aware of you.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #141 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:08am

#2050  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Shankarika nodded. “He is likely jealous of the favor that the Lord Marshall enjoys!  You are a beautiful woman, Penth, and your fondness for Kodiak’s company is no secret. If your curse were not more or less common knowledge it would be assumed that the two of you were lovers.” Shan grew thoughtful. “But the possibility that he is working for someone else has to be considered.  I have heard that he intends to take the title of ‘Lord Marshall’ of Paradise Valley and raise a force for ‘defense of the Valley’.  Supposedly, evil cannot enter the Valley so it makes you wonder, doesn’t it? I think that we should let him run a bit and see what he does. He’s powerful but he isn’t as powerful as you are and with me, Spirit and your father backing you up, he wouldn’t stand a chance, no matter what tricks he has in reserve.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #142 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:25am

#2051   Penthesilea

Penth nods.  “Short of putting him to the question under Truthspell, which I am not currently prepared to do, what you suggest would probably be our best course. (giggles) I wonder what he would think about Grai if he is already jealous of the Lord Marshall! Personally, I'm inclined to think that if Lord Stephan is interested in me, it is because of my position and lands and not my beauty. There are many women on the estate more beautiful than I am. Until a very short while ago, I was a simple swordswoman for hire, traveling from job to job with my girls. No one thought I was especially beautiful then!”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #143 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:26am

#2052   [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“Silly twit!” Shan gave the Keyholder an affectionate swat. “You have used the Litany for far too long! You are beginning to believe it!  Look in the mirror and see what others see. Personally, I’m surprised that the ‘she’s unattractive’ part of the Litany worked at all, let alone as long as it has!  You are a beautiful woman, Penth, and it is time you realized it!”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #144 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:36am

#2053    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Penthesilea blushes, just a bit.  “Thank you.  I’ve spend a very long time making myself unattractive. The curse isn’t selective. Any man who laid hands on me with lust in his heart died.  Wanting me should not be a death sentence so I have done all I could -- short of permanent shape change -- to keep men from wanting me.”
     “That would be rather hard on the ego, I would think.”
     “Yes, it has been but when it got hard I told myself it was for the best. When it got really hard, I would usually go hide in the wilderness for a decade or two!”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #145 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:36am

#2054     [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“Which gave you time to hone your magickal skills,” Shan replied.  “Come. Let me show you what we’ve done with the temple while you are here.  I need someone new to bore with all my expansion plans!” Penthesilea laughed and yielded to her friend’s plan to distract her from her worries. She didn’t know how long the effects of the distraction would last but she would take whatever respite she could get.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #146 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:37am

#2056    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

In the badlands...

Kodiak and Alisa fought side by side and seldom in his life had Kodiak been so furious. The bandits had counter attacked in retaliation for Kodiak’s ambush of one of their bands earlier in the week. This was not unexpected. What had both the Lord Marshall and his Second in Command furious beyond reason was the timing of the attack. They had left the Third in Command in charge of the camp while they retired to Kodiak’s tent for a lengthy “conference” on battle tactics. Things had been proceeding nicely when the alarm went up. Kodiak and Alisa had grabbed their clothes and turned out along with the rest of the camp.  Between the two of them, they accounted for more than their share of enemy dead. Alisa could tell when the Darkness overcame Kodiak and she grinned in anticipation. Once his battle lust was spent another knd of lust would replace it. The resulting encounter would be lengthy and, in the opinion of some, violent but that was how she liked it.  It was enough to make getting interrupted worth it. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #147 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:38am

#2057     Penthesilea

The Keyholder's Tower - The Roof

Unable to rest, the Keyholder has wrapped herself in a long cloak against the wet wind and walks the top of the tower, looking out over her lands toward the desolation where armies clash....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #148 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:38am

#2058     Penthesilea

After a long, restless night, the Keyholder gives up trying to sleep and goes down to breakfast.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #149 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 3:39am

#2059  Penthesilea

The Keyholder is in a foul mood. Snapping at the staff, losing her temper and storming through the Castle. The staff finally appeals to Lord Duncan, who intercepts his daughter as she tears through the Great Hall.

Lord Duncan: PENTHESILEA!

If anyone notices the windows rattling they don't mention it.....

The Keyholder: (still snappish) What!

Lord Duncan: You're not too big to spank.
     Lord Duncan is trying to look intimidating and does a very good job!

The Keyholder: Is that a challenge, my Lord?

Lord Duncan: It is. Change and meet me in the Training Hall.

#2060     Penthesilea

The Training Hall

The Keyholder storms into the Training Hall where Lord Duncan is waiting for her, a six foot long stave in each hand. He's wearing tight leather pants and boots. His daughter is wearing a short, tight, sleeveless leather bodice fastened with laces and very short, hip hugging leather pants and boots. Her long hair is pulled up in a tail high on the back of her head and braided. Neither of them is wearing protective gear and the Keyholder looks like she's out for blood....

Lord Duncan: Ready?

He tosses her a staff, sees the look in her eyes and realizes that she is incapable of answering him, her fury has grown so uncontrollable. The second that her fingers close around the staff -- Lord Duncan attacks! Penthesilea blocks the blow and returns one of her own! A crowd gathers as word spreads of the battle in the Training Hall because it is a battle between father and daughter. No quarter asked nor given. There is no sound except the sharp crack of wood hitting wood and the occasional softer sound of wood striking flesh when one or the other of them manages to land a blow. Lord Duncan drops and sweeps his staff toward the Keyholder's legs, knocking her to the floor. She recovers and is on her feet as quickly as he is. Finally, mere wood can take no more. The Keyholder's staff shatters on Lord Duncan's. He swings the end of his staff around and connects solidly with the side of her head. She drops to her knees, stunned.

Lord Duncan: Yield?

Penthesilea: (snarling) Never!

She grabs Lord Duncan's boot and yanks his feet out from under him. She somersaults backward and leaps to her feet. “HELLION!” she screams.
      Her sword, the indestructible Hellion, appears in her hand and she dives for her father!

Lord Duncan: Oh Hades!

He rolls aside just as Hellion slams into the floor where his head had been.  “SWORD!”

Lord Duncan's sword, which had been resting in its scabbard, flies to his hand as, dodging another blow from his enraged offspring, he rolls to his feet in time to block another killing blow. The crowd begins to murmur as they realize that the Keyholder is honestly trying to kill her father! Fortunately, Lord Duncan is no easy meat and it quickly becomes apparent that they are equals with the sword. Each draws blood but none of the cuts are serious enough to end the conflict. Finally, a mighty two handed blow from Lord Duncan knocks the sword from his daughter's hand. Dropping his own weapon, Lord Duncan swings his closed fist at the Keyholder's chin. She blocks and the fights goes hand to hand. Blows that would be lethal if they landed are traded at a speed that the onlookers can barely follow. Finally, Lord Duncan's superior strength and experience prevail. The Keyholder misses a block and finds her father's muscular arm around her throat while his other arm pins both of hers to her sides.

Lord Duncan: (In her ear) You are defeated. Yield!

Penthesilea continues to struggle. “I'm sorry, darling,” he says and tightens his grip around her throat, cutting off her air. She passes out and goes limp in his arms. He immediately lowers her to the floor and watches as she begins to breath again. She opens her eyes and he is relieved to see sanity in her eyes again. “I've defeated you in fair battle, Penthesilea.”

The Keyholder: (smiling weakly) Just my damn lousy luck that the only man who can is my own father!

Lord Duncan: That was Her intent, darling. How do you feel?

The Keyholder: Sane. And like I've gone 20 rounds with you. (winces) Know where I can get an aspirin or three?

Lord Duncan gathers his beloved daughter into his arms and rises.

Lord Duncan: They probably have some in the Infirmary. (chuckles) Then, I suggest a hot bath. And then, we will talk. I know you're frightened, darling. I won't leave your side until I know you are safe.” 

The Keyholder says nothing as they pass out of the Training Hall.

(Wardrobe note: Penthesilea is wearing a crop top and "Daisy Dukes" which were called "hot pants" back when I wore them! )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint