Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble...... (Read 12961 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Ghostbusters 2016 and..... More trouble......
Reply #400 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 12:34am
Print Post  
VICTORY!!!!!  Smiley

Today's predicted rain has held off and I was able to glue the inner cover boards into the Spates Catalog. AND after a decent amount of blood, sweat and suitable applications of strong language, the leather pieces for the lock are cut, test fitted with the lock mechanism and are ready to dye -- which I will NOT be doing tonight since dinner needs to be made and I have a certain amount of dish washing to do before we do that! So I had better get busy doing that since I have nothing of the "book binding" type to distract me! Again.....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #401 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I just checked the Spates Catalog and it looks so perfect I can hardly stand it! All that's left is putting on the lock pieces -- they need to be dyed and finished so it will probably be Monday before I start that -- folding the edges of the bookcloth over the ends, putting on the cover pages inside the front and back and the final touch -- the symbol that goes on the front. And maybe one on the spine. I'm not sure I can cut one that small. Cutting the large one is going to make me crazy, I know! I need to get wood to make a table stand for it, nothing commercially available is big/strong enough to support it. Yes, it's big -- 16½ inches tall, 12½ inches wide and about 3¼ inches thick. I have NO idea how much it weighs but it's a lot! It will also need an ornate storage box at some point but I'm going to hold off on that until I get some book cases built. THAT is a project that can no longer be put off!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #402 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 1:05am
Print Post  
I just finished the first cuts on the symbol that goes on the front of the Spates Catalog. The design "looks" simple until you try to cut it out -- by hand. It might be simple if I had a jigsaw which I don't so I have to do it the hard way. Since dinner needs to be started NOW, I won't get finished tonight....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #403 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Dinner's over and I'm sitting here with the symbol propped up on the computer trying to figure out the best way to cut it out. Skywise thinks I need to make the catalog look "scarier". I think I'm going to leave well enough alone. If I make another one later on, I'll take his ideas into account from the beginning.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #404 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 12:06am
Print Post  
The catalog is coming along nicely. I have half of the "locking hardware" on -- punching holes through two layers of bookboard is a BITCH!! (Pardon my language) and the cover design is almost completely carved/cut out. I'm not putting any timetable on getting it finished 'cause "real life" does get in the way.

In other news, a fan made part for the proton packs that I'd given up on has reappeared and I've told the guy I need five of them -- four for the packs and an extra in case I catastrophically screw up! NOW if the guy who made the cryogen chamber pieces would get back into the business.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #405 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 4:38am
Print Post  
The first part of our Spirit Halloween order is due to arrive on Thursday, maybe sooner if FedEx hands it off to the Post Office quickly. Smiley

The front piece of the Catalog's locking mechanism is completely on and the back piece is partially on -- two more rivets to go then I can start folding the edges of the bookcloth to the inside. Then there will be only three more steps to go: putting in the front and end papers, pressing in the "French groves" and putting the design on the front and the ones on the front and end papers. Then....  DONE!!!Smiley

I'm planning a special wooden box and a book stand for it but those are in the planning stages and I won't get to them until after the bookcases are built. The bookcases are modular and the first set will be six feet high by (approximately) twelve feet long. I'll need another set that long or longer depending on where I put them. I have GOT to get the family library inventoried and organized and that can't happen without bookshelves and I'm tired of "making do" so... it's time to build! And since we acquire books faster than we can read them, I'll be building more as time and materials permit!
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2018 at 5:04am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #406 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 12:35am
Print Post  
The lock pieces are on..  Smiley

I'm still working on the cover design piece. The problem with working with plywood this thin is that it splits at the slightest provocation. I've already had to repair it twice and I STILL have the most difficult curves to cut out. I had an idea this afternoon that I'm seriously considering which is to cut the design out of leather. I have a suitable piece and I have what I'd need to color it. I also have leather glue. So now the question is: Do I ditch all the work I've already done on the wooden piece and do it in leather or continue working on it and hope I can get it to look like I want.  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #407 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 3:04am
Print Post  
I've colored a piece of leather with the silver leather paint I have and I'm pleased with the results. For one thing, it dries VERY fast. For another, it cleans up with water unlike what I was going to use which requires paint thinner to clean up. Moonie says it looks good. I'll get Skywise's opinion when he gets home.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #408 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Looks like the ghost traps from Spirit Halloween could arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #409 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 4:06am
Print Post  
Ghost traps arrived. Smiley Skywise tested them and they both work. You can't turn them on either remotely or with a foot pedal/cable but they have lights (BRIGHT!) and sound.

I cut the cover design of the catalog out of leather tonight. It only took about an hour and a half which is a vast improvement over the plywood one that I worked on for days and it still isn't completely cut out. I tested the leather paint on a scrap to see how it would look and I think it will do so...... another obstacle overcome!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #410 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley <--- This pretty much covers it.
The paper I intended to use for the front and back cover sheets is..... ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH TOO SHORT!!!!  Smiley
Rather than increase my aggravation by splicing the paper and then hiding the splice, I've ordered a pack of black 24" x 36" construction paper which, once cut to size, will cover what I want covered! The only things I can do on the catalog until the paper arrives is work on the front and back decorative pieces and the design for the front of the catalog. I haven't decided if I'm going to make a smaller copy of the design for the spine or not. That's optional and I can do it at a later date if I decide to.

At least the guy who is making the electronics for the 2016 packs finally popped into the thread where I posted that I still needed 5 sets so at least he "should" know how many I need. NOW if I can just GET THEM!
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2018 at 6:07pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #411 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
If FedEX tracking knows what it's talking about, I should get my construction paper tomorrow. The vendor is in Wisconsin which is fairly close as shipping distances go.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #412 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
The paper arrived on time and the Ecto-goggles arrived today. They are perfect. All we need to do is figure out where the stickers go....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #413 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:21am
Print Post  
....And, we need to figure out where we're gonna put all this gear! Plus the proton packs I'll be building and the uniforms I'll be making and accessories...  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #414 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I just put the first coat of silver paint on the Catalog's cover device. I plan on three coats. I haven't decided if I'll put a cover coat on it or not. "Testing" will probably be done before I decide.

I am unbearably envious of a GB group in Germany. They are extremely ambitious and have the time, talent and resources to realize their ambitions. They've spent the summer building mockups of part of the Aldridge Mansion -- with a portrait of Gertrude -- and the containment unit portion of the "vintage" Ghostbusters firehouse and who knows what else. They've also done an extremely good bust of Egon Spengler.  Smiley
So yeah, feeling envious and "unworthy".

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #415 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Did some work on the Catalog since Skywise is back at work and no longer using the workspace in the Guest House. I had an idea on how to do the inner cover pages in a way that if the paper wrinkled from the glue, I could easily start over. So my idea is currently glued up and sitting on the table under part of the finishing press....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #416 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 3:17am
Print Post  
I'm thinking that the ATC Ghostbusters need a "Walter Peck" type character to be a thorn in their sides. At the end of ATC, the Mayor's office was definitely "on board" and quietly financing their paranormal research. The Department of Homeland Security was probably rendering quiet assistance as well given that every man and woman in and around Times Square -- including DHS agents, police and firemen and a sizeable contingent of Army troops -- were witnesses to the event and could NOT be convinced that it as a hallucination. So interference from the government -- city or federal -- isn't likely. At the moment, I'm thinking a lawyer/law firm either highly respected and rotten to the core like Wolfram and Hart or an ambitious, woman hating sleaze who probably doesn't believe in ghosts and wants to make a name for himself. Yeah, I'm thinking "fan fiction" for when I need a break from Valcaria.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #417 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I figured out what to do about the extra page I gained when my experiment with the inner cover worked.
I have ordered a dragon stencil that should solve the problem. I didn't work on it today but I'll be back at it tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #418 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 3:01am
Print Post  
Well, my idea about the inner cover is fine in theory but execution left something to be desired so I'm starting over. It's a good thing I have more than enough paper of both colors.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #419 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 4:03am
Print Post  
I made a new inner cover for the Catalog today and it's currently up at the Guest House drying under weight. With luck, I'll get it glued into the book tomorrow. Then I'll repeat the process for the back.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #420 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
The first step in putting the inner cover in is complete. Tomorrow I should be able to finish up the front. Then I'll repeat the process for the back.

We stopped at Spirit Halloween today and I saw a couple of things I want to get for future projects. One is a strobe light with thunder sounds and the other is a fog machine. Not sure in what context they would be used but the option to create spooky effects is not to be missed. I may be able to get one or both before the Spirit stores close. If not, I'll save up and get them next year.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #421 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I got the second part of the front inner cover glued down. So far so good although the cover was wanting to bow. I fixed that with 50 pounds of lead weights on a piece of wood that I put in the middle of the cover. If need be, I'll top it off with my 9 bound anvil!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #422 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
There isn't enough room in my sewing area to work so I'm going to try to get my sewing machine out -- it's a portable -- and take it to the Guest House. I'm pretty sure that I can use it on the kitchen table up there -- might be a little high but I'll manage -- so I can work on the uniforms while I'm building bookcases......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #423 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I wanted to work on the Catalog today but it ain't gonna happen. Only things that are absolutely necessary will be done until I'm over whatever this is since I don't want it to get worse. Oh well, it isn't like I have a deadline.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #424 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I found something that I'm pretty sure I can use on the packs that won't require me to learn a programming language. I won't be absolutely sure until I get it -- I ordered enough for one pack today. There will be some things to figure out but I can't do that until I get it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25
Send TopicPrint