Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Penthesilea's Renovation (Read 47552 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Renovation
Reply #50 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Nap has been had and the workout is done. I'd have gotten done a bit sooner but for the War Queen. She decided that since I was laying on the floor -- having just finished a set of crunches -- it was the perfect time for her to lay on me and have a snuggle with much petting, purring and ear scratching. Given her cranky disposition lately, I thought it was a good idea to demonstrate to her that she is still much loved!
Now, as soon as I catch my breath, I need to do something about the dishes. Throwing them out and starting over is NOT an option....
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2011 at 8:44pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #51 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:20am
Print Post  
I've done my workout for the day. I need to work on my form a bit. I think I strained my right biceps last time I worked it. No biggie but I'm going to have to favor it for a while until the soreness subsides.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #52 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I just found this article and it's very interesting.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8498233.stm

Skywise and I have always associated with people younger than ourselves, basically because we can't stand most members of our own age group, especially in the last 20 years or so. Maybe that is why we both look 10 to 15 years younger than we are. That, and staying away from doctors who would take one look at our ages and start trying to put us on some medication or other. (I have sarcoidosis and I'm having an outbreak right now. If I let a doctor know that, he'd want to put me on pregnizone and frankly, the side effects of that med are worse than my symptoms. So, no thanks. But try telling that to a doctor!)

The "renovation" has suffered some setbacks and I'm still experimenting with diet, exercise and supplements to find the most effective combination for me. Smiley Smiley  Right now, a high protein, 1,350 to 1,400 calorie diet looks promising. I'm going to have to sit down with a large notebook and start figuring out the calorie counts of what I normally eat.  That promises to be a mind numbing enterprise. Smiley
Thank the Gods for the calorie counts on food packaging....
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2010 at 5:38pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #53 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:34am
Print Post  
I did my lower body workout yesterday and upper body today for the first time since I got sick.
I've lost a lot of ground. *sigh* I am, at present, weaker than I was when I first started. I had to cut back on both reps and sets to get through the workout. I'm not happy and I'll bet money I don't have that I'll be taking aspirin first thing in the morning. I might be taking it directly after dinner.
Which I gotta get started now.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #54 - May 24th, 2010 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
For the first time in, literally, years I can walk normally. Who would have thought that a soft brace costing less than $30 could make such a difference? I'm still getting used to it and enjoying just being able to walk with limping in pain.  By eliminating the pain almost immediately, the brace both proves what has been causing my pain all these years and provides relief from it so I can pursue the permanent remedy which is building up the muscles in my thighs so that my kneecaps stay in place. I now find myself facing the very real prospect of being able to actually DO things like hiking, running... dancing.. without wondering when I'm going to be hit with a crippling spasm of pain.  I'm going to spend this week getting used to walking normally. Next week, Skywise goes back to work and I'll get back to the weight training. With the brace, I'm going to be able to add more lower body/leg work to my routine and I should be able to work my legs longer and harder.
I've also ordered a dvd on Turkish style belly dancing. It's a very fast, athletic style that I love but haven't been able to do because of pain. I'll also be getting an instructional dvd on floor work too. I have a few moves I want to master....  Smiley
Suddenly, life seems very hopeful.  
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2010 at 4:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #55 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
I now have braces for both knees and while I'm not entirely pain free I can walk normally. I expect that it will be a while before I'm completely pain free since I can't expect damage that has been going on for years to disappear more or less overnight but the fact that these braces work tells me what my problem is and how to correct it. Fortunately, the "correction" is exercise, specifically the building up of the muscles in the thighs so I'm completely redoing my exercise program.  With the braces I'll be able to do much more "leg work" than I was able to do previously.  It's very easy to say "work through the pain" when you're not the one having the pain and in my case, I wasn't entirely sure that exercise wouldn't make things worse. Now that I know that exercise is the likely cure, working through the pain I still have -- which is not constant -- will be easier. I'll be restarting dance practice too, probably next week, and I've already got my eye on a couple of new instructional dvds that I'm going to get when the second one comes out. One is the previously mentioned floorwork dvd (I've finally seen the YouTube promotion for it. It is to die! Smiley Smiley) and a companion dvd by the same instructor on the subject of Turkish dance which is fast, sassy and full of attitude. Rather like me when I'm on a roll!
So that is where things stand at present.  I'll be back when I have something to report. 
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2010 at 9:29pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #56 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I attempted to work out on Tuesday. I say "attempted" because I had a huge yellow/orange flirt of a tomcat paying court to me as soon as I got downstairs. Ever try to do pushups with a cat rubbing along your arms? VERY distracting. I did, however, manage to get about half of my scheduled workouts done. I added a few more exercises to work some of my trouble spots and judging from how those spots are STILL aching this morning, the exercises were right on target! So there will be more working out later today.  Since it is too damned hot to walk outside, I'm thinking seriously of getting my exercise bike out of mothballs. It needs a chain but I should be able to get one without too much hassle.  Then I can set it up in the basement and watch a dvd while I bike. Sounds good to me.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #57 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I went out to get the mail and found that it wasn't TOO damned hot and humid so I got out and got my walk in. I just came in, hot and sweaty, but walking if off today's "To Do" List.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #58 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I got what I needed to fix my exercise bike today and I've dug it out of its corner of the basement. NOW all I have to do is clean it up, put the new chain on it and see how it's gonna work. Hopefully, very well. The weather is getting hot again and very humid, weather conditions I don't handle well when I'm just breathing. Exercising under those conditions is a MAJORLY bad idea for me so the bike should allow me to get my aerobic exercise in without putting me at risk for heat exhaustion/stroke!
There was a med tech out here today, getting various bodily fluids to test from Skywise and me 'cause we're making some changes in our life insurance. My blood pressure continues to go down and I'm sure that once this lard starts leaving my butt it will go down further. Among other things, we'll be tested for HIV/Aids (I think I'd be dead by now if I had it!) and probably a host of other things. We should get the reports in a couple of weeks.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #59 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I ordered a "beginners/intermediate" Pilates workout dvd today.
Weight training is good.
Dancing is good.
Walking and riding the stationary bike are good.
BUT...
I need something that is gonna grab my core and pummel it into shape and it sounds like Pilates will do that. Also, I'm going to be getting a belly dance dvd next month that focuses on floorwork and the instructor uses pilates as part of the training so I probably should be getting familiar with it!
I've posted a couple of "underdressed" photos over on the sister-site and I want to post more but Skywise says "no" until my body is up to an acceptable aesthetic standard. I never argue with him when he's right.
As Nike says, "If you've got it, flaunt it!" I can't argue with that sentiment so I better start "getting" it!
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:16am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #60 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
My dvd arrived today. I've already reviewed it. It looks deceptively easy but I know better. I'll probably have to modify the exercises a bit and work into the correct form but I'm familiar with most of the exercises so I'm pretty sure I can modify them enough to do them while still getting the benefits. It's gonna work my "problem" areas hard which is what I want.  I'll probably start using the dvd tomorrow since it's nearly 2 and I still haven't had breakfast yet. I also need to get my exercise area properly set up.  I'll probably go with an "every other day" or "3 times a week" schedule to start.
Right now, I need to eat! 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #61 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Tad growly. I can't use my dvd until I get a pilates mat -- which I have just ordered from Amazon -- cause some of the exercises will be painful if done on a concrete floor which is what we have in the basement. So, I've ordered the mat since I've figured out that my usual "make it myself" skills ain't gonna work this time. I also ordered the floorwork dvd I've been lusting after. I "thought" I'd get free shipping on the order since it is over $25 but apparently they will be sending my order in two packages instead of one so...... rats! Oh well, when Totally Turkish comes out next month, I'll order it with another dvd I want and I "should" get free shipping on that!
So I will continue to ride my exercise bike until I can do something more "robust!"

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #62 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I got an email telling me my mat has shipped.  I "should" be good to go by the weekend or early next week, depending on the shipping method. I hope it gets here sooner rather than later. I wanna get started.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #63 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
My mat arrived today and is currently laid out in the basement "getting flat." It has been rolled up since it was made and one end has a DEFINITE curl to it. It also has that strong "new foam mat" smell" and I've been airing it out since I got it out of the box and its plastic wrapper so tomorrow looks like Day 1 for pilates. I "might" have to make a cover for it if I intend to leave it on the floor. When I came upstairs, the SunLord was making himself comfortable on it. Kitty fur won't hurt it but I'm dubious about the claws....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #64 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 12:20am
Print Post  
I started doing pilates on Monday but my workout was cut short by some wild weather. I repeated it today and got a little farther in the workout. I decided that I wasn't going to force my body past the point of "failure" so I did what I could and quit. I'll keep working on it until I can do the whole 51 minutes easily. THEN, I'll get a more challenging dvd! Anyway, I took my weight and measurements Monday morning so I'll have them to compare with my numbers this coming Monday.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #65 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I was debating the "Do I do pilates today?" thing earlier and gave myself a little test. I wasn't having any pain just going around doing my normal household stuff but when I started doing a few of the pilates moves, I had some twinges so I'll put in some time on the stationary bike today and do pilates tomorrow. The day WILL come when I can do the full workout everyday but that day isn't here yet!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #66 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
I did pilates last night and was able to do all the exercises except one and aside from that one, I was able to get through the entire 18 minute routine. I'm feeling a real urge to do it again tonight but as I was getting ready for bed last night, it was necessary to down some painkillers as the small of my back was complaining insistently enough to convince me that I needed them. I'm going to stick to my resolve to exercise every other day this week and perhaps next week as well. Hurting myself would only impede my progress so no matter how much I'm itching to get downstairs and work out, I'm going to wait until tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #67 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 1:45am
Print Post  
I have been resolutely staying away from the scale and the tape measure for the duration of our vacation. I'm trying to eat sensibly but we eat out more during the vacation -- so I get a break from cooking -- and eating out tends to make me gain. So, with the knowledge that I've probably put a few pounds back on during September, I'll be getting back into an exercise routine when the first week in October rolls around.
I know what I want my body to look like and I will now attempt to attain that goal without the use of extensive cosmetic surgery.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #68 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
After some relentless self-imposed rehab on my knees which took all last fall and winter, I've finally gotten to the point where I can do without the knee braces that I had to use all of last year just to be able to walk.  I still have some pain in my left knee (just below it to be precise) but it is nothing that I can't "walk through" and my right knee is pain-free most of the time. So yesterday, I strapped on my cd-player, grabbed my walking stick and started walking. I've had to lay out a new circuit since there is now a sizable "widowmaker" hanging over part of my previous circuit.  It's too high up for us to get down by ourselves so we are just going to have to rely on nature to bring it down.  Anyway, I decided to walk for approximately 30 minutes and to push it. I got through the half hour, walking at a pretty fast pace and happily, I did not pass out. I had many twinges and twitches last night and I was a little stiff when I got up this morning but it worked out quickly as we took off for the bi-weekly madness that is "Payday."  I just came in from today's walk and I feel pretty good. I didn't push it today but I didn't stroll either. I broke a sweat and I feel like I've been doing something besides strolling through the mall window shopping.
I am, substantially, a healthy woman -- moreso than many my age -- and it isn't unreasonable to expect, given that I've avoided my generation's most glaring bad habits, that I could live another twenty-five to forty years, barring misadventure. My father died young but his parents and siblings lived well into their eighties and nineties.  So the only real question is how I want to live those years.
A couple of decades in a retirement home does NOT appeal so I'm making some changes in my lifestyle, the first being that getting fit is as much my "job" as writing and "housekeeping" is. I'm working on the aerobic exercise end of it now and I'll probably get to the strength training in the fall, after our vacation most likely. It's going to be hard enough keeping up the walking (which I'm hoping will be running by then) during vacation. Once the weather gets too nasty to be outside, I'll be putting in time on the stationary bike. It ain't a spinning class but as least "I" get to pick the music!
Bottom line: I refuse to rot.  I can't do anything about the number of years I've been breathing but I can refuse to "get old." I do refuse and I intend to fight it every inch of the way for the rest of my life.   
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2011 at 11:43pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #69 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Just got in from my walk. It is windy out there! I worked up a sweat and I may have had too many clothes on but I didn't want to risk getting chilled and it isn't even 60 degrees outside and, as I mentioned, it is WINDY out there!
My thighs and butt started bitching at me about halfway through but I pressed on. The bitching is a good sign. It means that I'm pushing those particular muscle groups out of their "comfort zone." It's a well established fact that a muscle has to be pushed past its "limits" in order to grow and get stronger. So I'm hot, a bit sweaty and tired but pleased.
I got another workout book today. This one focuses entirely on home workouts rather than using machines at a gym. I have a workout book by Muscle and Fitness Hers which is good but most of the workouts assume that you will have access to all sorts of machines and benches. There are a few exercises that can be done with free weights at home but they are in the minority and, yes, it gets boring. So I have a new book that focuses on working out at home 'cause I have NO intention of spending money we can't afford just so some incredibly well-built young stud can supervise me while I work up a sweat!
Although I will admit the idea has "some" obvious merit!  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #70 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 3:41am
Print Post  
I braved the wind and had my walk this afternoon. It was unseasonably warm (nearly 80!) and very windy again. That seemed to have drained me a bit since I couldn't walk as fast. It's also possible that I was a tad dehydrated. Regardless, I got it in. Tomorrow does not look good for walking. "Wild weather" should be here by morning and linger all day so tomorrow may turn out to be my "rest" day. We'll see. I'm going to have to get an exercise heart monitor thingie but I don't need it THIS MINUTE so I'm gonna look around Amazon for a deal.
Still thinking about the dietary aspects of this. I'm really not inclined to make radical changes in my diet. I know what works for me and I'm not inclined to tinker with it. Bread and white potatoes may be "bad" food but I like them and I don't eat either to excess although I did have a small second helping of both tonight. Definitely "my bad" but I don't make a habit of it and today was on of those days when I didn't eat much and I was starving by the time dinner was ready. White flour is supposed to be evil too but changing my pizza crust recipe is out of the question. Moonie would go along with the experiment but Spirit wouldn't and let me tell you, you do NOT mess with Spirit's food! NOT if you want to have any peace at mealtime!! So I'll just have to do what I can to minimize any ill effects that might come from eating "white" food. Compared to most Americans, we don't eat that much "fast food" and normally go easy on the fries and order the smaller sandwiches so there's something else in the diet column that I don't have to worry about too much. I'll just have to be extra good this week to compensate for those extra rolls and potatoes! Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2011 at 3:41am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #71 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
DEFINITELY not gonna be walking today. For one thing, it's pouring and for another we've gotten at least an inch, probably more of rain, in the last 5 hours or so which makes for VERY soggy walking conditions! I haven't decided yet what I'll do instead -- either the bike or a rest day. Right now though, I need to scare up some breakfast...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #72 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Decided to take a rest day and give my muscles an extra bit of recovery time. I'll put my waterproof hiking boots on tomorrow and take my walk. I know what places are likely to be boggy, soggy and/or slippery so I shouldn't fall on my butt or my face!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #73 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
The sun is out and the wind is stiff so things should dry out pretty quickly today. I'll be taking my walk later this afternoon when it has hopefully warmed up a little bit. 40-something isn't bad but the wind makes it chilly and it was going through my jacket and shirt while we were in town today like they weren't there!
I was able to do a little research today which confirmed my suspicions about the so called "bad" white foods. Yes, those foods eaten alone can cause rapid spikes in blood sugar. BUT, wrap those slices of bread around a tasty protein/fat filling and the potential for sugar spikes is greatly reduced. Same with potatoes -- eating them alone can cause problems -- but as part of a meal with protein and vegetables and they do just fine. Even french fries can be taken in moderation with a meal. I'm getting this information from my diabetic diet research materials. I'm NOT diabetic but my mother's older sister was (so was one of my dad's sisters) and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Moonie so I've made it my business to know the basics of dietary control. There is no such thing as a "bad" food -- even the much maligned full-sugar soft drinks -- as long as it isn't eaten to the exclusion of everything else. The main thing to be aware of is not so much whether or not a food is "bad" but rather how much "bang for the buck" you're going to get: the number of calories verses the amount of nutrition the food provides. A lot of calories but not much nutrition isn't a good choice. The bottom line is that when it comes to nutrition, don't take the word of whoever wrote the diet book you are reading. Do your own research and the best place to start is with the resources provided for diabetics. Their lives depend on accurate, up to date information and the people who provide that information have no agenda beyond making sure that it is as accurate as possible.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #74 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
I got my walk in, kinda late -- the phone kept ringing -- but I got it in. I came in out of breath and immediately crashed on the bed which the War Queen approved of. I had to change my route due to standing water in parts of it and since I wasn't doing the section that is more challenging, I picked up the pace on the section I was doing which is mostly but not entirely flat. So another day of exercise that gets me a day closer to my goal. By the end of summer I want to be able to at least alternate walking and running for an hour with collapsing in a gasping heap. Not necessarily because I'm all that thrilled with running. What I am (or would be) thrilled by is being ABLE to run if and when I wanted or needed to. THAT is the short term goal. I'll already giving thought to what the goal after that one should be.... Smiley Smiley
Probably something entirely too indecent to be posted in public....     Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Send TopicPrint