Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Penthesilea's Renovation (Read 47617 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Renovation
Reply #75 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I just got in from my walk. It is windy but 70 degrees and sunny so I definitely broke a sweat, especially since I was wearing a teeshirt with a sweatshirt over it! Well, it was chilly this morning! Anyway, I did the deed (NOT THAT and I WISH!!!) and as soon as I cool down some, I'll fix myself a snack. Something with high fiber and protein most likely. THEN, I get to bring some order out of the chaos this morning/afternoon's activities caused! My knees hurt today (the left more than the right) and the thighs complained but no more so than yesterday so I'm not concerned. If I think I have to take some aspirin before I go to bed tonight I will but not before! Hmmm..... Moonie's in the kitchen making herself a sandwich and I think that as soon as she's done, I'll be getting MY snack.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2011 at 9:37pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #76 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Remember what I said about not taking aspirin?
Forget it. My left foot has started cramping so hard I can barely stand on it. The pain is on the outside edge and it isn't like an ordinary "arch of the foot" cramp. Just what I need tonight. Oh well, aspirin here I come.....

Post # 17,800
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2011 at 9:38pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I decided not to walk today.
Yeah, I know, my bad but, as if last night's crippling foot pain wasn't enough, I woke up with some chest congestion this morning which I still have. It was enough that I woke up coughing a couple of times in the night. Heat via the electric blanket and a dose of aspirin before bed put my leg to rights by this morning but I decided that the congestion warranted a day or two off since allowing myself to get REALLY sick would knock me out of action even longer. So I will be sensible for once and take care of myself! I've had a much needed nap and I'll get my full eight hours or so tonight!
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2011 at 9:45pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #78 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 1:57am
Print Post  
I took yesterday and today off. Yesterday because of my allergies and today because it rained like HELL this morning and it is JUST starting to dry out. At least by tomorrow the "front loop" of my walking course should be dry enough to walk on without sinking in up to my ankles!
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2011 at 4:39pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
I did not walk today. Don't fuss at me, I'm beating myself up enough as it is. I had to get caught up on some of the stuff I've been letting slide this past week. I got a lot of it done today and I "should" be able to make a good dent in the rest of it tomorrow. I intended to walk this morning right after breakfast but by that time it was pushing 80 and since we needed some things, we went into town right after we ate. I think I'm going to arrange things so Sunday is my regularly scheduled "off day" 'cause if there is a day when the schedule is likely to change at a moment's notice, it's Sunday...
So tomorrow will see me walking or on the exercise bike. Or else...
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2011 at 11:30pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #80 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Monday saw me on the exercise bike. It wasn't as good as walking although my knees/thighs complained MIGHTILY while we were running errands yesterday! Tuesday and today, I walked. I pushed it yesterday and eased off a bit today, mainly because a couple of hours after my walk yesterday, I got hit with a migraine. As soon as I realized what was incoming, I took a dose of Excedrine Migraine and headed for my eye mask and dark bedroom. I don't know if the two are connected or not but I'm still a touch "off" today.  So I didn't walk quite as fast today and I'm seriously sucking down water now that I'm back in the house. I'd decide how much to push it tomorrow when I hit my "track."
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2011 at 11:29pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #81 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I got my walk in this evening. A bit later than usual but I got it in. If the weather is doing what is predicted tomorrow, I'll probably be on the bike. I'm dedicated but NOT dedicated enough to walk in a thunderstorm if it's an "optional" activity!
I didn't push it today, both my knees hurt when I started walking. What annoys me no end is that they had stopped hurting by the time I got to the last song on the cd but by then, the rest of me was tired from the walk and the pain! *snark* Next "walking time" I'll start earlier -- preferably before I spend the day cleaning in the basement! -- so if the knees decide to behave near the end of my walk, I'll have enough energy left to push it a little bit.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2011 at 11:28pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #82 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I took yesterday off, I know. My bad so today I have to put in some time.  It's wet (rained again yesterday) and chilly so the exercise bike looks attractive right now!
As of this morning, I have 68 pounds to lose. I'm not happy that I've allowed myself to get to this point but I know how it happened: grief and then depression. The grief is still there but the depression is something I can recognize and fight against. So I will.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2011 at 11:28pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #83 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
FINALLY got out for a walk today. I missed yesterday which POed me no end so I had to get it done today. NOW, as soon as I've cooled off enough, I gotta hit the kitchen and get things squared away in there. Fortunately, things aren't in to bad of shape!
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2011 at 11:22pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #84 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I got out for my walk today.  My course still has puddles hidden in the grass but I didn't want to skip another day. The walk went well. I didn't break much of a sweat but it was 59 degrees with a stiff breeze so I would have been surprised if I HAD! Gods willing and it doesn't rain like hell tomorrow, I'll get another good walk in. I'm not going to beat myself up if I miss a day or two but I DO intend to beat the hell out of myself if I miss more than that! I'm having to take it slower than I really want to because of my knees but I STILL intend to make my goal of walking 45 minutes to an hour every day. It's just going to take longer than I'd planned. *snark!
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2011 at 11:20pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #85 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I was FINALLY able to get out for a walk! It hasn't rained in about 18 hours and the wind is blowing so the higher parts of the yard are dry enough to walk on. So I changed my course (again!) and got my walk in today. Yes, I broke a sweat and my glasses steamed up as soon as I got in the house. I'm sucking down tea at the moment and as soon as the sweating slows down, I'm off to load the dishwasher. I should have done that before I went outside but I didn't want to risk a popup shower "popping up" while I was doing that and miss my chance. The Gods know if I'll be able to get out tomorrow!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #86 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I just came in from my walk. Damn! It is HUMID out there!
We have heavy cloud cover and it was sprinkling once in a while but Zeus was kind, He held off until I got into the house, a shower is now in progress. At least it isn't a thunderstorm.  The course I'm using right now is kinda short but I'm going by "time" walking rather than "distance" walked so that's okay. The good part is that most of it dries out really fast so if the rain has held off for a few hours, I can get out there. What is important for me now, as much as the walking itself, is establishing the habit -- getting out there every day if possible and walking. Once the habit is established, I can add to it. Right now, the goal is simple: Walk. Every day. For approximately half an hour.
So far, so good.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #87 - May 3rd, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I got my walk in on Saturday (the 30th) and then the rain moved in -- again! We got 3 inches in about 48 hours. Needless to say there was no walking on Sunday or Monday.  Smiley  I got out today and I must have done something right. The muscles in my butt hurt.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - May 23rd, 2011 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I didn't get any walking in during the last two weeks until yesterday when I got in two good periods of walking. They weren't as long in terms of time as usual but, by necessity, I walked faster. Especially when we were trying to get back to the car before the sky opened up again! Both knees took violent exception to the pace but my muscles, heart and lungs didn't have any serious problems with the pace. I haven't decided yet if I'll go out this afternoon or not. It will depend on the weather and how bitchy my knees feel!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #89 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I'm hoping to get out this afternoon but with rain incoming I might not get it done. Still, I've lost some weight even though I haven't done much the last month except watch my eating and I've made some additions to my supplements, more for "mood management" than anything else. So I'm going to keep on like I have been and get in the walking whenever I can.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #90 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 4:00am
Print Post  
No walking was done today but neither was pigging out so it is all good. Tomorrow is another day and, Gods Willing, I'll get out for a walk before it gets too hot! It's going to be tricky getting the walks in as hot/humid as it gets during the Indiana summer so I'm probably not going to be able to walk every day.  Looks like the stationary bike will get a workout.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #91 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Damn.
We have a "Smog Alert" (Bet you didn't know that we get those in Indiana!) which means this little girl who has had bronchitis entirely too often in her life needs to keep her little butt indoors and venture out only when absolutely necessary.
No walkies for me today.....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #92 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
FINALLY got a walk in and worked up a respectable sweat too, I'll have you know! The new diet/supplement combination I'm using is getting results. I have finally started to lose weight and keep it off, rather than have the fluctuations from week to week that I've been having. So yeah, I'm happy and for once, cautiously optimistic about weight loss. Now if the weather will stay nice so I can have a daily walk, I should start making even more progress.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2011 at 11:05pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #93 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I got another walk in today and tomorrow looks good too. Wednesday could be a bit "iffy" so I'll have to see.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #94 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I took a look at the regional radar screen and got my little tail outside!  So I've already gotten my walk in today. I was able to walk a bit faster today which means that I haven't lost too much due to not walking during the hot weather.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #95 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
I got in from my walk a few minutes ago. I had to take it easier than I wanted to today. The temperature is in the mid-80's and the humidity is up too. My lungs don't particularly like that combination and they let me know it within five minutes. *sigh* The unfortunate result of entirely too many bouts of bronchitis in my life. But, I DID get my booty moving for approximately 30 minutes and THAT is the goal right now, to walk every day that the weather permits -- fast or slow -- just get out there and establish the habit. My old reliable exercise bike is on standby for those days when the weather WON'T permit -- and I think those days are coming up fast -- so I shouldn't lose ground.
And my bronchial tubes are still complaining... *sigh*
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:24pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #96 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Okay. No exercise for me today. It would be my day off anyway but I walked up to the Guest House [a distance of about 100 - 150 feet] and back about 25 minutes ago and I don't know WHAT is in the air out there but my lungs were complaining before I even got up to the Guest House and I was becoming uncomfortably aware of the air moving in and out of my lungs on the way back. I'm still feeling it somewhat even after being back in the a/c -- kinda like a cat is sitting right over my breastbone. So.. inside I'm staying.. and as much as possible.  Tomorrow, I will take myself and my cd downstairs and put in my time on the exercise bike.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2011 at 6:55pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #97 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Looking back, it has not been a good year for "renovations."   The primary impediment to me reaching my goals was my knees. Once I had strengthened my thigh muscles enough to pull my knee caps into position (I'll have to look up the specific name for that condition) I thought I was home free but then the pain in my left shin started and it was painful to walk, sometimes very painful. Favoring my left leg caused problems with my right and by the time heat and bad air quality forced me inside, getting down the stairs and up again was more than I could manage some days.  So, going back over my records, I lost ground this year instead of progressing. *sigh*

Penthesilea wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 9:33pm:
I was just rubbing my left knee. "Something" moved under my hands, popped and now it hurts less.
Not sure what to make of that.

SooleawaSoyala wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 9:50pm:
one of the ligaments holding your kneecap in place may have gotten wrapped around one of the condyles of your femur or tibia and gotten stuck. that would cause pain and lack of mobility but moving it around may have gotten it loose and back into place

It has been a bit over two weeks since my knee "popped." I'm still having some pain in the knee region of both legs but it is "different" pain. Believe me, I've become very good at distinguishing different kinds of knee pain. What I'm having now is "probably" residual pain from many years' worth of knee problems. After some (a lot actually) research I've decided to add some supplements to my diet that "should" help with weight loss and rebuilding/repairing the structures around my knees. I'm going to give them a fair trial anyway.

Post #22,888
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2011 at 9:36pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #98 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Well I've got the supplements sorted and lined up. I've been taking some of them for a while (and I've noticed some improvement), the others I haven't been on long enough to know for sure. I'm going to start carrying a "breakfast dose" with me since about half the time my first meal of the day is lunch at BK, Wendy's, Arby's or a similar establishment. I can't say I've given them a fair trial if I don't take them consistently and THAT means having a dose in my purse.

With supplementation out of the way, I need to look at my exercise program which has NOT been working. The knees have been a problem but that seems to be licked (no shin pain) and the knee pain that I had is normally treated by strengthening the quads and several sets of leg lifts daily will do nicely for that. Right now, I'm leaning towards a short Pilates program to start and then reintroducing resistance training.  Belly dance will be for my soul. THIS is for, I'll be honest here, my ego. I want my body to look a certain way when I put a dance costume on (or strip down altogether which I've been known to do!) and dance alone isn't going to make that happen. It's all very well for someone to say that they want to lose weight for "my health" and in a lot of cases that is certainly a motivating factor but let's be honest, the health clubs are NOT full of people who want to be healthy. They are full of people who want to be "hot", "ripped" and generally jaw droppingly attractive to whichever gender they hope to impress.  And I am honest enough to admit that I am no different even if I AM an old married lady with grown children! My knees haven't been this pain free in decades (and that is literal, I've been living with pain for a very long time) so I have no excuse not to do what I want and need to do.
Tomorrow I'll start designing that exercise program (and figuring out how to work out around two sheets of plywood and several 2 x 4s) with my immediate goal being to start work on the 2nd.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #99 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
The author of one of the blogs I follow is advocating making 2012 “the worst year of your life.”  What he means by that is biting the bullet and doing the drastic, unpleasant things that you need to do to correct a situation once and for all -- no half measures. Things like moving back in with your parents or with a less than ideal room/housemate while you work two or more jobs to build up your savings, get out of debt or finish/expand your education/skill set so that 2013 will be the beginning of a much better life. Or for someone (like me) wanting to lose weight, working out the calorie counts/exchanges for a set number of meals and eating nothing else for a year. Boring as hell and demanding TONS of self-discipline but done correctly, it would get results. I’m not inclined to go that far but I’m going to make 2012 my make or break year. I have no excuses. The knees are working better than they have in decades and all my other parts are in good shape. The only thing “wrong” with me is that I’m carrying too much weight to be considered healthy.  I carry it well, I don’t look as heavy as I am, but I know that it is there and it is a drag on my self-esteem and self image. I know EXACTLY why and how I got this way but I won’t be sharing those reasons here -- TMI -- but those reasons no longer apply and haven’t for a while but they DID apply for nearly three decades (in addition to my knee problems) so I have some “mental” work to do too. I need to change my thinking as well as my habits and changing the thinking may be the hardest even though I will be fighting both my chronological age and my heredity (WHY did I take after my father’s people (stout German stock) rather than Mom’s (naturally thin) folk?) One thing I will need to do, in addition to keeping my nose to the workout grindstone, is to make sure that I have food choices on hand that are healthy, not overly laden with calories/fat/salt and quick to make so that when I look up from writing and find that I’m starving and dinner is hours away I don’t have to throw a sandwich together out of whatever is handy or grab cheese and Triscuit which “can” be healthy but may not be what I should be eating at that particular time.  I’m going to have to be more disciplined about working out and eating in ways that support that which means, among other things, that I’ll be taking a daily “computer break” from here for workouts.  I’ve got my exercise “bibles” at hand so I’ll be curling up with them to plan my “campaign” after Skywise goes to work. I don’t have a personal trainer to keep me honest so I’ll have to keep my eye on the prize and make that be motivation enough.
2012 is gonna be my year 'cause I'm going to do what it takes to make it so.

Post # 23,030
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2011 at 8:32pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Send TopicPrint