Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Penthesilea's Renovation (Read 47514 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Renovation
Reply #100 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Well, I haven't gotten the exercise program worked out yet but since I'm going to start with a 10 minute Pilates program on dvd and some leg lifts, I think I have a bit of time before I start the resistance training. 

Working on the "mental aspect" of the renovations, I'm reassessing those aspects of my appearance that aren't affected by my weight. My lifestyle the last decade or so hasn't required more than jeans paired with tees, men's workshirts and sweatshirts with my hair in a tail at the nape of my neck. Practical. Functional but NOT terribly good for one's long term self image. So while I'm working on the bod, I'm going to be working on that as well. I refuse to look like an old lady but I can't pull off "Lolita" either. Of course, I couldn't pull off "Lolita" when I WAS that young so it's no loss! Anyway, some research is gonna be required. I'm not going to use the "conventional wisdom" about what looks good for me. I'm going to go with Skywise's opinion. He has a keen eye for what makes a woman look good and I trust him to tell me straight if something isn't working.  There isn't going to be a wholesale wardrobe redo until everything I have doesn't fit but I'm gonna be ready when it's time.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #101 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:07am
Print Post  
The first thing I want to do is congratulate VE for getting started on her walking program. Smiley  I know what it’s like trying to work exercise in around chores and child care responsibilities, especially when that child is “special needs.”  Like VE, I will be cutting back on my “online time” in order to make time for exercise.  The last few years, especially the last 18 months or so, have seen me spending 16 to 18 hours a day online. During that time, I’ve completed two books and have made good progress a third.  Other projects to which I devoted much blood, sweat, tears and energy proved to be less rewarding and which had a negative impact on my family, my work and my health.  Consequently, I’ve had to take a very hard look at how I spend my time, online and off, and make some tough decisions that have not proven popular in certain quarters.  My family (including a select number of friends), Sanctuary and my writing are my priorities and I know now that I can’t take on more than those responsibilities and give them the time and attention that they deserve. That has upset some people which is too bad but it cannot be helped. I’m not going to shortchange my family, my work or Sanctuary because someone needs me to handle some project of theirs that they are “too busy” to do but because I’m “home all day and don’t work” I can handle it for them and without credit, appreciation or pay might I add.  Been there (too often), did that (ditto) and got burned big time!  [Yes, my name is “Mudd” in certain local quarters. Tough Smiley! ]  This year, 2012, WILL see me published so it is time for me to shift my gears a little bit and prepare myself for the obligations of a published writer which includes getting myself into something approaching a pleasing shape and “having fun with make up and wardrobe.” More on that when I’m ready to start SHOPPING!!  [I’ll probably be making a few of my own pieces since my taste can be a bit.... eccentric!]

My first Pilates session went well and I found out just how much work I need to do! Unfortunately, last Thursday afternoon I had more leg problems, left side this time, which resulted in me having to use both a knee brace and the cane to get around and even then I was nearly immobilized and in considerable pain. I’m okay now -- I’ve stayed off of my feet as much as possible since Thursday -- and I’ll be giving the Pilates another shot tomorrow. I’m using a Pilates dvd that has ten minute workouts for each of the different areas and I’m going to be using the one for “Lower Body” since that is the area were I need the most work and I’ll probably do a set or two of modified pushups while I’m face down on the floor. I’m also throwing in “calf raises” (basically rising up on my toes and lowering my heels ALMOST to the floor) in sets of 25 or 30 whenever I can.  It makes you look a little odd to be doing that while standing in line but I’m used to being thought of an an oddball and besides, if I’m with my handsome hubby no one will notice me! [If I had a dollar for every time some other woman in line with us has been mistaken for his wife......]  I’m hoping to see some results fairly soon and since Pilates is traditionally “floor exercises” my knees, which I expect to be temperamental for while yet, won’t be stressed.  My goal by spring is to have strengthened my legs and knees sufficiently so that I can hit my “walking track” without needing knee braces or a walking stick -- unless I want to practice some “stick forms” while I’m on the move!  My belly dance practice will be restarted fairly soon as there are some dvds that I can use that don’t require me to use my knees a lot and resistance training will be reintroduced at some point which will depend on how everything else is going.  I’m tinkering with diet as well although I don’t think I need a lot of work in that area. Overeating isn’t my problem. Having my butt in this desk chair for hours on end is. So from now on, you won’t be seeing me around Sanctuary quite as much but rest assured, I’m NOT gonna disappear!  Sorry, you’re stuck with me! Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:26am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #102 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Print Post  

I recently received a mailing from Prevention Magazine wanting me to subscribe again.  It contained, as these things normally do, a number of “teaser” articles to get you to subscribe but promising the full details in a special report that would be sent once you had subscribed. Since I’ve done all the subscribing that I’m going to do for a while, I decided to do a little research myself. One thing that caught my eye was a study done at Georgia State University.  I couldn’t find a copy of the study online but after some “googling” and digging I found a few places where it was being discussed.  The findings reported that a difference of as little as 300 calories in the amount consumed and the amount expended would result in weight loss.  Most of those commenting went to considerable lengths to prove that this finding was either too good to be true or impossible to achieve. I got to thinking about it last night and realized that it was neither.

The theory here, supported by other studies, is that a drastic reduction in calories will trigger a “starvation response” that lowers the metabolism in order to conserve fat.  The body does NOT “know” that you’ve been hitting the fatty food and high calorie cream sauces WAY to hard and that you are now bordering on “grossly fat” if not already there.  ALL it knows is that calorie consumption has drastically dropped and that means that IT’S FAMINE TIME! And in order to get you through it, every calorie that you have stored needs to be hoarded like gold so slashing the calorie intake to lose weight which seems intuitively correct is, in fact, counterproductive.  For the dieter, this can be frustrating!  The Georgia study found that a relatively small reduction in the number of calories consumed or an equally small increase in the number of calories expended would result in weight loss. NOT the extreme, “screaming headline” promises of “DROP 30 POUNDS IN TWO WEEKS” but a steady loss that the body would allow.  It is agreed that in order to lose a pound a week a person needs to either use an additional 500 calories or consume 500 calories less each day.   

The trick as I see it would be to figure out how many calories you need to maintain your current (unacceptable) weight and then either reduce your calorie intake, increase your physical activity (exercise) or a bit of both by 300 to 500 calories (the range given in the Georgia State study) until you hit a plateau (hate those!) then recalculate your BMR/maintenance calories, reduce it by 300 to 500 and continue the cycle until you get where you want to be. Not fast and not flashy but based on what the “experts” are telling us about how our bodies use/store calories, it “should” work.  The first thing that you need to do is find out your Basal Metabolic Rate/BMR.  It took some digging to find this formula but with it and a calculator -- or a talent  for math -- you can figure it out.

Basal Metabolic Rate
Source: (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/bmr-formula.php)

English BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Metric BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

Which brings us to the next step, calculating the number of calories you need to “just” live and maintain your current weight.

Harris Benedict Formula
Source: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
   2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
   3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
   4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
   5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Once you know how many calories you need to stay at your current weight, you can figure out how many calories you will need at your target weight (so you will know what your goal is!) and work out a realistic plan for getting there in 300 to 500 calorie increments.  For a simple example, say that you need 3,000 calories to maintain your current weight and your target weight would be maintained with a calorie intake of 1,350 for a difference of 1,650 calories a day. Reducing your calorie intake by that much all at once would convince your body -- not to mention your BRAIN -- that you were going to starve to death in short order and “Operation Conserve Calories” would go into high gear. So you have to break it up into 300 to 500 calorie steps -- 4 or 5 of them most likely.  Cutting 300 to 500 calories out of most people’s diets wouldn’t be that hard if they needed to lose weight. Cutting out a chocolate and cream filled Starbucks confection masquerading as a “coffee” would probably do it in most cases. Taking a pass on the EXTRA LARGE french fries at lunch and going for the small size would likely do it too without causing you to feel too deprived.  Adding a walk during your lunch break or after work would increase your calorie expenditure by 200 or 300 calories (depending on how long and how fast you walked) and that would count against the “reduction” too.  The results wouldn’t be fast or spectacular but they would be consistant.  It is also something that you can do with a little basic knowledge of the calories in food which is easy to obtain, a calculator and the will to do it. It does not require you to buy a book or books, pre-prepared meals or in any way, shape or form fatten someone’s bank account which is probably why this approach doesn’t get any publicity.

In my own situation, I’ve come to the conclusion that my main problem with weight loss is that, most of the time, I don’t eat enough. And when I do eat “enough” my body thinks that it is going to be my last good meal in who knows how long and it stashes those extra calories away in anticipation of a famine that ain’t coming!  So “my” next step is going to have to be figuring out my current calorie needs and what my first “target” is.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #103 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
After paying attention to what I've eaten today and what I ate yesterday, my hunch was right, I'm NOT eating enough to lose weight.  So far today, I've probably had between 600 and 800 calories which is... NOT enough to convince my body that I'm not starving, not by a long shot! So for this to work, I'm going to have to "eat like a diabetic." What that means is, I'm going to have to work out a number of meals and snacks that I can "mix and match" to create daily menus which will consist of three "meals" and two "snacks" and total the number of calories I need to convince my body that it's "summertime, the living is easy and food is abundant." And then I'm going to have to EAT those meals and snacks, religiously, at more or less set intervals, whether I am hungry or not because the evidence is in and my appetite is NOT a reliable indicator of when I should eat and how much.  The hardest part of that will be figuring out the calorie counts of the food I make from scratch. Thank the Gods for calculators!
This is going to take a while......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #104 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 4:09am
Print Post  
DEFINITELY not gonna get my daily minimum calories today but I'm too exhausted to do anything about it.
Better luck to me tomorrow.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #105 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I have taken my first walk of the new year. I ache from waist to ankles but that's to be expected. The yard is pretty dry so my "track" was in good shape. All I had to do was keep an eye out for the odd piles of rabbit droppings. I "did" have to change course a bit though. I selected a downhill track that was a little steep and after my fifth circuit, my bod was starting to rebel so next time around, I switched to the downhill track that covers the same distance but isn't as steep which worked better. That's the nice thing about having 2.5 acres of yard with a variety of terrain, I can "mix and match."

The body is gonna hate me in the morning ("heck" it's aching NOW!) but that's okay. "No pain" and all that.  Especially when you've been inactive for a while!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #106 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 5:12am
Print Post  
I just wanted to make a note here. For the first time in I can't remember how long, I was able to "hurry" today. I didn't hurry far but I was able to and with minimal pain. That might not sound like much but walking without some sort of insistent pain hasn't been possible for a very long time. Every single time I've gone walking, it has been "through" pain. If it wasn't one or both of my knees -- and it usually was -- it was a hip or the muscles in my calves or thighs deciding to hurt or simply refusing to work. It was getting to the point where when I went to stand up, I wasn't sure that I would be able to.
The last few months, I've been doing research and trying different combinations of vitamin and mineral supplements. I think that my last addition to the mix might just be what I've been missing. Within a couple of days, things started to get better and now, a couple of weeks later, I can actually get out of this chair without "thinking" about it and being prepared in case my knees refused to function. I'm cautiously optimistic that the worst is finally over (but then I've always been optimistic) and I'll -- eventually -- be able to run again if I want to. And hike. And have my body actually DO what I need it to.
It's supposed to be in the 70's all week. I think I'm gonna take some long walks and see how it goes. I expect the muscles to be sore and if they are and my joints aren't, it's gonna be glorious!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #107 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
I got out for a walk today. I did the minimum which is about 30 minutes. It wasn't too bad but I'm going to have to pay a bit more attention to my eating before exercise. I nearly ran out of steam before the end. The knees cooperated and we'll see how the legs feel in the morning.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #108 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 1:33am
Print Post  
I REALLY need time to prowl the makeup department in Walmart and Target. I haven't worn make up much in the last decade or so but I can do a decent "normal human" with what I keep on hand and I can work up a pretty nice "Goth" look too, if I do say so myself. Restrained but nice. The makeup required for belly dance has somewhat different requirements. LOTS of "eyes", vivid lipstick (which could come out of my "Goth kit") and depending on the expected lighting for the performance -- red blusher. Like they wore back in the "high color" days of the 1980s. I'm assuming that Ben Nye or some other theatrical makeup supply company would have it but dang it, I'd rather get it locally at a discount store.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2012 at 5:24pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #109 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
*blush!*  After I got offline last night, I went poking through my makeup supplies.
Ben Nye does make bright red blush.
And I have some, unopened, along with a couple of other items that had gotten buried under other things.
What I really need is to get a second makeup tote dedicated to "Goth" and "Belly Dance" makeup. Sooooo, I'll be checking out what Walmart has in stock tomorrow...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #110 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:02am
Print Post  
I've been out for a walk three days in a row now and the body is taking exception to it. It is, in fact, calling me everything but something nice using strong language of an exceptionally vivid and colorful nature! I will not be deterred. As long as the weather holds, I will walk no matter how much Smiley my body does. It is WAY too early to see any results -- other than the fact that the muscles in my posterior are very unhappy with me -- but I "should" be able to notice some results by this time next week, if only that I can walk faster than I am now. When my jeans start to get loose, I'll know I'm getting somewhere.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #111 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I snark! Expressively and at length!
I didn't get to walk today. By the time I was ready to start, the neighbors had started a large, smelly fire in which they were burning the winter's crop of dead leaves and fallen wood. The whole neighborhood stinks of wood smoke and my lungs and sinuses hate it. I've had a headache from it all afternoon. There is rain in the area and I'm hoping we get some to clean the air out. In the meantime, I didn't get to walk this afternoon! [insert strong, vivid language of your choice!]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #112 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
I got a walk in yesterday but I won't need one today. I just spent half an hour walking the acres looking for Danger Princess who gave Skywise and me the slip while we were disassembling a very old vanity bench up at the Guest House.
We found her down here.
In the house.
In the basement.
Spirit let her in and didn't tell the rest of us.....Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2012 at 2:11am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #113 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I've been getting an upper body workout this evening washing a large HEAVY area rug that DP used for toilet paper this afternoon. When I went to clean that up, I discovered that it had also been the target of some kitty barf that had been somehow overlooked and had DRIED.
I've washed that blasted thing 4 times and the water is STILL coming out muddy. I've got it arranged so all of the dirty water can drain out of it in the hope that the next washing will be the last.

Getting it DRY is going to be another story. Fortunately it is made of polyproplene macrame cord so it "should" dry fairly quickly if I can get it where the water can run out of it and the air get to it.... 
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2012 at 2:19am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #114 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 3:58am
Print Post  
I found myself wondering recently why I, who hasn’t worn makeup in a decade or so, was going to such trouble to build a really “nice” makeup table. It took a while for me to realize that Aphrodite was tapping me on the head again. Time to move out of my well worn and very comfortable “comfort zone/rut” and into the previously unexplored territory of cosmetics.

Ya see, my mom grew up during the Great Depression. Times were tight and makeup was a luxury, used sparingly and for special occasions only. Any woman, especially a young one, who used makeup regularly could expect to have her morals called into question as only a woman who was “loose” had the money for such things. So Mom regarded the wearing of makeup with a certain amount of suspicion, especially where I was concerned. It was her firmly held opinion that permitting me to wear makeup on a regular basis while I was in high school was the same as setting my feet on the fast track to Hell. The learning process that I “should” have had in my teens, I missed out on.  *sigh* Consequently, it was not until I got an office job and pretty much HAD to wear makeup that I was able to get away with it and then only the basics. Not being able to see my own reflection clearly in a mirror didn’t help matters any either!

Now, apparently, Aphrodite has decided that oversight needs to be corrected. I’m not entirely sure what Skywise is gonna think about all this but I’ve resolved to have fun with the learning process while endeavoring not to scare the horses, dogs or small children!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #115 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Well, I ordered a well recommended book on makeup application which arrived on Friday. I haven't dug into it yet. With the arrival of my Dark Shadows dvd collection and the modem drama this week, I haven't been in the mood. I have looked at it though and have already learned a few things.

As I was prowling facebook, I saw an ad that said: "Real Women have curves." And I agree. I would not care to be as thin as my mother was even though she could and did eat like a field hand. What I would like is to not have quite so much "curve."
Are you listening, Aphrodite?

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #116 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Ordered a couple of more books that Aphrodite would approve of and while I was straightening up the practice area, I unearthed a book about the whens and hows of "flirting." I'm wondering if this is a "hint" from Her. Of course, I'd need someone to practice on. Skywise is SO totally immune to my so called "wiles" that there is no point in even trying them on him. So, I need a male with a sense of humor who is willing to be the object of my shameless (and probably inept!) flirting. There are several other requirements but I'm not getting into that tonight. So if Aphrodite wants me to sharpen my flirting skills, She is gonna have to provide me with someone to practice on!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #117 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 1:55am
Print Post  
One of the books I ordered arrived and I'm waiting on the other one. The one I got is on nail care and I must say that once I'm done with all this building, my hands are gonna get pampered. Toes too!
Aphrodite will be pleased.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #118 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
In my never ending quest to figure out how to do what I want as efficiently and inexpensively as possible, I have once again gotten sneaky.
The nail book I mentioned in the previous post goes on at length about foot baths and how being able to soak your feet in a luxurious solution as preparation for a full blown home pedicure is an absolute necessity. The author recommends a stainless steel basin in which to put this solution (which is pretty much a soap solution with maybe some scented oils and/or herbs added) because stainless steel is easy to sterilize.
Ahem.
The author owns a chain of manicure shops on the East Coast and therefore, if nothing else, can get stainless steel foot sized basins in bulk and at a discount. "I" don't have that sort of connections. So I thought about it and realized that what I needed was in the pet department at Walmart. I now have a "never used for its intended purpose" kitty litter pan into which both of my less than dainty feet fit with room to spare. As far as sterilizing is concerned, it's a litter pan, sturdy and the manufacturers expect for it to be thoroughly cleaned. A relatively strong bleach/water solution "should" be sufficient to obliterate any germ that might decide to set up housekeeping in my foot bath pan. So that "problem" is solved with minimal impact on my wallet.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #119 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
The last of the books I've ordered arrived today. I now have a good basic library of reasonably up to date information for my ongoing "renovation/upgrade." The next thing I need to do is do an inventory of tools and supplies so I know what gaps need to be filled in.
This won't seem so overwhelming once I have everything organized.....

Post # 24,524

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #120 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 2:27am
Print Post  
As I've noted elsewhere, my makeup table is finished, my makeup is inventoried and I'm assembling a reasonably up to date "tool kit" for the application of warpaint. Consequently, I'm gonna be having "fun with makeup" fairly soon. Hopefully, my experiments won't break my mirrors....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #121 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 1:22am
Print Post  
I got another dvd on the subject of "non-standard" makeup application yesterday. "Bombshell Basics" it's called and it looks very interesting. It's not going to be "that" long before I'm done with Book 3 and I'm thinking that since I'm not going to have my posterior glued to the computer chair, writing myself into a daily coma that I'm due an "upgrade." Not a "makeover" exactly but I've been living in tees/sweatshirts and jeans for quite a while now and I'm feeling restless. Time, I think, to spend some time and effort on "me" since I'm not quite ready to join the rocking chair set.
Gonna need a plan and I guess the first thing to do is put one together...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #122 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I was in a bookstore today and didn't find what I was looking for so I've spent the afternoon tracking down stuff on the internet and adding it to an "Upgrade" word document I've started since websites with useful information can and do disappear. I don't expect the one I was consulting (Mayo Clinic) to go bye-bye but these days, you never know! So I'm going to have it in a word document which I will print out later.

I realized a long time ago that a "diabetic" eating plan was about the healthiest way to eat and certainly the best for losing weight so that is the information I've been gathering. Exercise is going to be a part of the upgrade but all the exercise in the world won't make up for a lousy diet. My diet isn't exactly lousy but it could be improved.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #123 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 2:45am
Print Post  
I've FINALLY gotten all those lists I copied this afternoon in a useable form. Now I need to track down the nutrient information on what I normally order when we eat out and list that and make another list of the food products I use and list those and THEN go through my recipes and figure out the calories, etc. per serving for those that I haven't already done that for. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #124 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Real life has been a Smiley the last couple of months so my "renovation" projects haven't gotten very far but now that the Christmas Rush is over with and we're cruising toward the new year, I'll be able to get back on track. I've gotten a lot of new cookbooks the last couple of months and most of them list calories, various grams and diabetic diet exchanges so I'll be going through them looking for new foods to try. I do a lot of cooking at home and I'm planning on doing more and having the makings of quick lunches so I don't end up living on tuna sandwiches. I've done it but a bit more variety would probably be better for me! I also decided about a month ago that I needed to add another piece of equipment to my downstairs gym and decided on a stepper. I picked this one and since I couldn't find it at Walmart this morning (I saw it on their website) I ordered  from Amazon after we got home. As a bonus, I got free shipping on it and no state sales tax. I should get it the first week in January. It wouldn't hurt Skywise to use it either and I'm hoping he will. NOW all I have to do is get the Christmas tree out of the practice/exercise studio. Next year, I WILL have another place ready for it!

Sunny_Twister_Stepper.jpg ( 13 KB | Downloads )
Sunny_Twister_Stepper.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Send TopicPrint