Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Firing Range (Read 15030 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Firing Range
Reply #125 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I found a picture of the target stand I want and figured out a parts list. Fortunately, I have some experience using PVC pipe and so does Skywise so putting it together shouldn't be a problem. As soon as we can get the van over to the ACE Hardware store we'll be good to go.  Smiley I think that I might put some sand or rock in the base pieces before I seal them up for extra stability. I'll see how stable it is once it is assembled.
I'm going to have to figure out how to hang the square foam targets that I'm currently using since they aren't meant to be hung but that is a relatively minor problem. I suspect that some sort of sling arrangement will solve the problem nicely.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2007 at 6:21pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #126 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 3:15am
Print Post  
I've found a back quiver that isn't obscenely expensive but it comes as a kit. I'm not unfamiliar with working leather so that isn't a problem. I'm going to see if I can find something in the sporting goods store before I order it though. I'm kinda "project heavy" at the moment!  Smiley So much to do, so little time!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #127 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Spirit wants to have lunch in Floral Gulch tomorrow so I'll be able to hit a major sporting goods store. I'll look for a back quiver and a shooting glove. And please, dearest Gods, NO FOREST CAMO. I want black, thank you very much. Or natural leather!!

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #128 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Good luck on that dear...

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #129 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Well, I found a round quiver in brown but it was a belt style and I've already decided I don't like those. So I'm going to order a back quiver kit from 3 Rivers that is NOT camo.
I also got a finger tab but I really don't care for it so I'm looking for a shooting glove now. With our vacation coming up, I should be able to hit a lot of sporting goods stores.  Grin

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #130 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I was nosing around in a specialty tool store today and picked up a pair of kelvar lined leather gloves. I'll see how they work as shooting gloves. If they aren't suited for that, I can always use them as sword gloves.

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #131 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
See, I don't think I will ever understand preferring a shoulder quiver to a belt quiver.   It's a lot less work to get the arrow out, and if you hang it in the right place, it will never get in the way.  But, to each their own I guess. 

Not knowing the plans for the PVC holder, have you considered making the frame slightly narrower than the foam target and putting pegs in the sidebars to hold it up (via a t connector in the uprights)?
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2007 at 6:32pm by Deirachel »  
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #132 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I'm old fashioned, I guess.  Grin I just can't seem to get the belt quiver to hang so it doesn't bang around. I picked up the PVC pipe and fittings today so I'll be fooling with it for a while. I'm not going to glue anything together until I'm satisfied with the design and I'm a "hands on" designer.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #133 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Two words:
Leg strap.

Just like a tactical holster has, to keep the weapon from banging around. Just be aware when you sit down.

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #134 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 5:37am
Print Post  
I'm aware of leg straps. Smiley I tend to favor large knives and the sheaths require tie downs for a smooth draw. [Nothing spoils the mood in ritual more than a knife that refuses to draw properly!] I'll take a look at the quiver I have and see if I can do anything with it.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007 at 5:38am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #135 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
We've got the target stand assembled. We did it "modular" -- the base parts come off -- so that we can store it flat, not to mention being able to get it in and out of standard sized doors!! Once the PVC solvent has cured sufficiently -- by tomorrow probably -- we will put it together and take a pic of it which I will, of course, post. Skywise has been spending the day repairing his sword so we've been very "warlike" around here!

Now if I could just figure out how to build a "not terribly expensive", environmentally safe pistol range out here, I'd be all set!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #136 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 4:29am
Print Post  
Well, other than safety, the main concerns of an outdoor range are prevention of hangfires rocketing off in random directions, and the leaching of lead into the environment.

Obviously, there are a number of things to be done to make a safe shooting range for firearms.

Not so obviously, there are ways to make one more environmentally safe. One way is to put up a solid backstop wall in behind your target area (also a safety plus!) and a firm-bottomed sand pit from the backstop to in front of the target area to catch slugs. That way, any slugs that drop from the backstop will be in the sand pit where they can be raked up later, and they cannot start fires if they are carrying hot powder along with. A can for spent brass is a good idea as well, preferably a sturdy metal one with sand in the bottom. A bricked in, sand-bottomed area to dispose of hangfires and "duds" is a good thought as well. ( if built correctly, this hangfire disposal area can be used as a barbecue---as long as you rake it out regularly BEFORE you start a cook fire!)

As far as your archery area goes, the sand pit could save an off-target arrow from destruction by rocks and roots should it head earthward too! The pit ought to be fairly deep for that purpose, say ten inches or so, or more if you get ambitious! The sand is cheap, just use playground sand from Lowes or Home Depot, but the time and effort to make a deep pit is considerable, and if you choose to use concrete for your firm bottom, that will cost a bit as well. But honestly, you will be happier with a well-planned area for shooting that the casual spot we use here at our house....we eyeball distances, and pin targets to cardboard boxes! LOL

Ah, don't pay attention to me---I got a picture in my head, and sorta ran with it--do what makes YOU happy, of course! LOL

Black Rose
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2007 at 4:56am by Black_Rose »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #137 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 4:56am
Print Post  
I've got a spot where I could put a permanent target area and it has the advantage of having a hill behind it. There is a house on the other side of the hill so I'd have to be careful. There is space on the other side of the property too. I'll think about it. I won't be able to do anything about it until Spring anyway. Plenty of time to plan....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #138 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking we'll probably use the old garden area north of the Guest House. It is flat, rock free and there is a LOT of woods between us and the nearest house on that side! I got to thinking about the sand pit and started to laugh. We have four indoor/outdoor cats....
Spent slugs wouldn't be the only thing I'd be raking out of that sand!!   Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #139 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I got a bright idea about quivers while at the museum today. I'll have to do some "fiddling" and see what I can come up with. I know now why the hip quiver I have flops around. Dang poor design!

Skywise and I have decided where to set up a permanent firing range. He wanted it as far from the road as possible so I've picked a spot in the backyard. Any suggestions on what the make the backstop out of and how wide/tall to make it? And, of course, what kind of base to put on it!  The archery target stand I made stands about 3 and a half feet tall.

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #140 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
For Archery:

Since you are in farm country, you should be able to get the large hay bales delivered.  I would suggest the big round bales, covered in plastic.  You can set them in a row, stake them in place on each side, and stack a second row on top in between the bales on the first row.

Once you have the stack set up, fill the gaps with hay from a single large rectangular bale. 

Even with daily shooting the backstop should last you a few years before it rots out... especially if you melt plastic over the holes you make when you shoot (garbage bag and a heat gun).

For Firearms:

Check the laws in your area.  There are some very specific regulations on what you have to do/have for a target range.  It usually requires a earthen berm, which can get very expensive (like 5 dump truck loads of earth).
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2007 at 9:24pm by Deirachel »  
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #141 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 1:45am
Print Post  
I'll see what I can dig up on local regulations. There is a good half mile -- at least -- of dense woods between where the target would be and anything else. And I don't think any of our neighbors have done anything so extensive!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #142 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 2:38am
Print Post  
HAPPY!HAPPY!HAPPY!HAPPY!HAPPY!HAPPY!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

I've found a shooting range that handles archery, small bore rifle and handguns that is -- wait for it -- about 10 minutes from here! It is almost straight east of here in fact. They also offer instruction. Now all I need is someone to teach me "live steel.."  hehehehehehe   Smiley

Beware the Site Goddess with firearms.... and arrows...... and sharp pointy things!! 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #143 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Penthesilea wrote on Sep 27th, 2007 at 2:38am:
HAPPY!HAPPY!HAPPY!HAPPY!HAPPY!HAPPY!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

I've found a shooting range that handles archery, small bore rifle and handguns that is -- wait for it -- about 10 minutes from here! It is almost straight east of here in fact. They also offer instruction. Now all I need is someone to teach me "live steel.."  hehehehehehe   Smiley

Beware the Site Goddess with firearms.... and arrows...... and sharp pointy things!! 

POOP! I have since found out that this establishment, in addition to being unabashedly Christian, caters exclusively to groups and not to individuals just wanting to come in for an hour or two of practice. Back to the drawing board....

And I found this link on another site. I post it without comment except to laugh....

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2524635.html

IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Reply #144 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 4:17am
Print Post  
any advice available for someone who's new to guns?

I've been considering getting a gun myself, but I'm really not sure where to begin.  Something for self-defense, mainly.  The problem is no-one in my family's into guns, and neither are m'friends, so I've no-one to ask.

From what I've read, probably a bigger number (bore size?) would be better, more stopping power if needed (like 45 over 22, right?).  I think I want a handgun, but I'm not sure what kind (or even what the differences are between them) - like a pistol or revolver or auto?

Is there somewhere I should begin looking for theese things?
(I also have to research PA gun laws and permits, and gun brands.)

SmileyBetrayal is Forever Smiley&& Smileyinverse retrograde karma by proxy! but... but... what does it mean?Smiley&&&&Smiley"It's entirely possible that, in the great play we call life, you aren't the main character." -Little Billy&&SmileyYou shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd.Smiley&&&&Smiley "We are not pacifists. Allowing harm to continue is not harming none; it is harmi

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #145 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Reading through this thread will give you some ideas. For self defense, you want something with "stopping power" and that means, in my opinion anyway, a .45, .357 or a 9 mm. A pistol is a handgun of any sort. A revolver is a type of handgun that has a cylinder that holds the bullets -- think the 6-shooter of every cowboy movie ever made. The automatic carries the bullets in a "magazine" or a "clip." When you see an action hero slamming something into the grip of his gun, he's loaded his automatic. D and Black Rose are the real experts here so I'm gonna leave further explanations to them!
As far as your state regulations are concerned, "google" is your friend....

IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Reply #146 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 4:42am
Print Post  
I have been looking through the thread a bit, I'm looking at the brand-name discussion, with consensus of not Taurus, but Walther or Glock or Ruger.  some of it was a little confusing when I wasn't sure of the differences, though, so thanks.

So a revolver is where one puts the bullets directly into the gun, in a spinny-chamber sort of thing, and automatic is where the thing containing the bullets goes into its own compartment, whole?  and (from prior discussion) the auto is better, because its faster?

And yeah, google is a cybergod.

SmileyBetrayal is Forever Smiley&& Smileyinverse retrograde karma by proxy! but... but... what does it mean?Smiley&&&&Smiley"It's entirely possible that, in the great play we call life, you aren't the main character." -Little Billy&&SmileyYou shall know the truth, and it shall make you odd.Smiley&&&&Smiley "We are not pacifists. Allowing harm to continue is not harming none; it is harmi

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #147 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you've got it to me. LOL Yeah, how did we ever survive without "Google"? The automatic also has the advantage of a larger ammo capacity. The standard for a revolver is 6 shots  -- hence the name "Six shooter." An automatic can have a capacity as high as 15 shots -- depending on the size of the ammo and the gun -- without needing to reload which makes them popular with folks likely to get into hectic situations that don't afford them the luxury of leisurely reloads. There is a device that can "speed load" a revolver but personally, popping an ammo clip out and a fresh one is seems a lot simpler and faster to me. Not to mention the fact it requires less manual dexterity in a "pressure" situation! [Yeah, I have "fumble fingers!"]

Post #14,500 for the site!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2007 at 10:19pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Salanthos

May Random Joy be Unto
You

Reply #148 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Ok, that makes sense.
Thank you. Cheesy

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #149 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 5:50am
Print Post  
Hmmm.

Ok, well I guess we ought to start with some "words of wisdom" here. Please understand that I am in NO way representing anyone else's opinion but my own, and I have come to these opinions from listening to wiser heads than mine, as well as through practical experiences. So while I am not an "official" expert of any kind, many people with experience with weapons and combat hold similar views as my own.

First off, PLEASE do not buy or use a weapon of any kind with the idea that they are expensive toys or cool gadgets. This is the very first DEADLY mistake anyone can make with a weapon of any kind. The second deadly mistake is thinking/feeling that a weapon makes you stronger, faster, better, cooler, or more protected in any way. This is simply not true, and I cannot emphasize that more strongly. The very instant you pick up a weapon of any kind, you immediately place a very large target on your back, period. In many cases, simply having a weapon on you, brandished or not, increases your likelihood of death 110%. If one is armed, one is a perceived threat, actual or potential, and there are many out there who will simply terminate a perceived threat rather than disarm them. So remember, when you are armed, death is always at your right hand, and always watchful. I cannot tell you how many people are routinely killed with their own weapons. There are many reasons for this, but one of the bigger ones is that they relied on the mere possession of a weapon, and the feeling of safety it gave them to protect them. Also remember how many people are killed and injured every year by "unloaded" guns.

Weapons are tools, and like any tool, it takes both knowledge and practice to use a tool well. One would not ask a musician to take a stone chisel and create a "David", nor would one expect a fry cook to design and build a house. Even a screwdriver can kill you if used improperly or unsafely, and weapons are the same. A good place to begin learning about weapons is to go to your local firing range and ask lots of questions. Don't worry if they seem like stupid questions, everyone has to start somewhere. If it is available, take a gun safety course. Sometimes you can find out information on safety courses at your local probate court, or wherever your local municipality issues concealed weapon permits. Certainly the police station will have some information, if nothing else, they will know where to look.

If you have never handled or fired weapons before, I would advise starting with rifles. They are a bit more unwieldy than handguns, but it is also a lot harder to hurt yourself with a rifle than a pistol. Always treat firearms as if they are loaded, no matter how many pieces they are in, and never cross someone's body line with the business end of a firearm unless you mean to kill them. When you carry a loaded weapon, always make sure the safety is on, and point the weapon at the ground, or in a safe direction where you will not hurt someone if it accidentally discharges, and never point a loaded weapon up in the air. A bullet can carry a LONG way, and a falling bullet can injure someone as badly as if you shot them deliberately. I would strongly encourage you NOT to handle firearms alone. Accidents can happen, and you would not want to have a serious accident in a situation where no one could get help for you.

A local firing range may have weapons available to rent, so you can get a feel for different calibers and makers. They generally want you to buy the ammo for the rental weapons there, so they know what quality ammo is going through their weapons. This can be expensive, but firearms are expensive tools to buy and supply anyway. As a general rule, the break-in period of most firearms is around a thousand rounds of ammo. That does vary a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it is a generality. So you can see that dropping a couple hundred dollars in researching weapons is really a drop in the bucket overall.

As far as calibers goes, the .22 has the longest accurate range, and the .45 has the most overall devastating hit in the handguns. 9mm, .38  and .357 calibers are virtually the same size bullets, but the cartridge length, and powder load vary considerably. 9mm and .38 bullets tend to tumble through the air, and 9mm usually have a powder load heavy enough to push the bullet clear through a body. .45 and .357 bullets usually have a powder charge heavy enough to push straight in, and tend to blow extraordinarily large exit holes in bodies. .22lr cartridges (lr stands for long rifle) are supersonic, have very long range, and tend to tumble around after entering the body, doing a huge amount of internal damage, equal to the damage done by a .45. That just covers the most popular calibers of handguns, but you get the idea.

Other than the .22, none of these calibers should be used at a greater distance than 25 feet without expert training. In general, when people get into firefights, they are not usually more than ten to fifteen feet apart, so if you are training for personal defense, you should become consistently deadly at twenty five feet. Don't forget, there are only three reasons for firearms. One, hunting. Two, target shooting for pleasure or competition. Three, killing people, for whatever reason. As you can see, two out of three reasons involve death, and never forget that. Firearms are the most efficient and user-friendly weapon publicly available. Even children can kill with them. Training and safety are very important to use these tools properly.

I know I have harped on how dangerous firearms are, and how important safety is, and I probably sound a lot like folks you know that disapprove of weapons. Honestly, if you went to any well trained military personnel above the rank of corporal, and asked them about weapons, you would likely hear the same things. The same goes for any experienced police officer. I don't disapprove of folks having weapons, I disapprove of folks having weapons and being ignorant about the tool they choose to own. I would be pleased if everyone capable of being responsible with one would learn about and own firearms, personally. Historically, an armed society is a polite society.

Looks like I wrote another novel!!
Hope that helped a little!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint