Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Firing Range (Read 15034 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: The Firing Range
Reply #75 - May 25th, 2007 at 4:18am
Print Post  
That explains it!!  Grin
I'll probably look at them both. I like the .45 caliber ammo but the Beretta has a greater magazine capacity and as Skywise is fond of observing: "He who runs out of ammo first, looses!"

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #76 - May 25th, 2007 at 4:23am
Print Post  
If you have medium to large hands it won't be a problem, but remember, double stack clips make the gun twice as wide, so small hands may have a hard time reaching the safety, clip release, and trigger comfortably.

Black Rose

"Age and wickedness will always overcome youth and enthusiasm."

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - May 25th, 2007 at 4:32am
Print Post  
I have longer than average fingers and I wear a "medium" glove usually. I'll try them both on for size and see which fits the best.

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #78 - May 26th, 2007 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
By the way, He who runs out of ammo first should be the winner, not the loser.  The loser should have a number of rounds still in his clip.  It's impossible to fire when you are dead more than once.  And if you are shooting at a person, you should empty your clip INTO them.

You can only expect ONE shot; make it count.  Any more than the first, and you're lucky.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - May 26th, 2007 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I hear you. I think that they were discussing firefights with multiple targets. My interest is strictly defending hearth, home and offspring in case I need to.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #80 - May 27th, 2007 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Remember that police expect civilian females who shoot to defend to be hysterical and out of control, so simply placing one shot where it counts will look funny to them, and provoke difficult questions. Always empty the clip into the bad guy, and let yourself be shaky after---it reassures the "professionals" that they are needed, and that you "got lucky". Get me?

One of our friends recently had an incident where she shot the bad guy once, and was perfectly ok after, and the cops  thought that was odd, so I figured I'd tell you. Additionally, the guy got the gun from her, but was too scared to use it so he ran. Lucky break for her, as she could be dead. Empty the weapon in the bad guy right off, and this won't happen if you hit your target.

Incidentally, she was using a .38, instead of the .357 ammo in the weapon, which I find to be a contributing factor in the case. She got one shot off through the guy's lung, so he went to the hospital in cuffs as they caught him a few houses down from hers.

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #81 - May 27th, 2007 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
This assumes that I wouldn't have the shakes after shooting someone in self defense!  Grin And I'm quite sure that the girls would be making enough commotion to satisfy anyone! But I'll remember.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #82 - May 30th, 2007 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Well, one problem is solved. A new public firing range opened today about half an hour/20 miles from here. Not as close as I would like but it is on a military reservation so it should be properly run! It has a 25 yard outdoor pistol range and 50 and 100 yard outdoor rifle ranges. HOPEFULLY, indoor facilities will be added in the future. Now all I need is armament and transport....

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #83 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Yay!

If you know any cops, they may be willing to "teach" you how to shoot pistol, and lend you a weapon to shoot. That would be a good excuse to get out and socialize, as you can go for coffee after and have yourself a mini vacation from the house et al. Same goes for any military types, especially any retired military, as they would likely be pleased to get out and shoot some. Just remember to offer to pay for rounds and range fees, and all will be well. You will need eye and ear protection as well, and remember that sandals and low cut shirts are a bad idea as hot brass hurts!  Wink

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #84 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I seldom wear sandals and as for low cut shirts, I save them for when I can get some results from them! I will be all business on the range, you betcha! We don't know any cops but that could change once I get my mitts on transport. Yes, I'm still looking...

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #85 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:40am
Print Post  
I remember one lady at the range in Atlanta....Black Rose and the kiddo had gone to Alabama for some horse riding/SCA Equestrian practice, so after work I hit the range.  As I was leaving, a guy walked out of the other side (split range, 8 stalls to the side) followed by his girlfriend, who he was teaching to shoot.  She was yelling at him for getting burned.  He responded, "I told you that you didn't want to wear that, but you insisted.  You said you wanted to look sexy with the gun."  She was about 5'8", buck-thirty, double D cup or better.  And she had maybe a yard and a half of cloth on.  VEERRY low cut halter top (i.e. you could see the bottom of the bra at the bottom of the v-neck), daisy dukes, and six inch sandals.  And about two nicely defined brands on the inside front line of her breasts.

FUNNAH as all HELL!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #86 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:53am
Print Post  
LOL I'll bet! Rest assured that won't be me. I'm nowhere NEAR a double D....

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #87 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Still, hot brass is HOT!

I wore an ordinary, non low cut V-neck shirt to the range once before I really thought about the brass. No, I didn't get branded (I'm quick!), but  I did have a couple of pink spots for a few minutes! LOL!  Now, I can wear a bikini and not get burned, but why take the trouble? T-shirt, jeans, and tennies or boots are what I usually wear, unless I am trying out a new carry with other clothes.....like a mini-frame with a gown or something...........yeah, it gets interesting looks, but who cares?  Wink

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Yes, I can see you at the range in a ball gown!  Grin You could get away with it. I'm not sure that I could.  Roll Eyes I plan on wearing my usual clothes (shirt, jeans and athletic shoes.) except that I'll have my shirt buttoned a little higher than usual.  Wink That should be enough

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #89 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I went hunting and turned up my father's .22 revolver (WW II U.S. Army issue) that hasn't seen the light of day in a good twenty plus years -- my mom hid it when the girls started to seriously explore things. It is showing a bit of corrosion on the outside and definitely needs a thorough cleaning but the trigger pulls nice and easy with no "catching" so I'm thinking that it is still in good shape. Don't worry. I won't try firing it until it has been cleaned! Besides, we need ammo and targets!  Grin I think I've found a direction in the yard where I could set up a short pistol range without putting the neighbors at risk -- as long as they aren't taking unannounced walks in the woods around my house!
Oh, and it fits in my hand nicely. I checked and I wear a Man's Medium sized glove.

IP Logged

Punisher
Ex Member

Dark Justice

Reply #90 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Deirachel wrote on Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:40am:
I remember one lady at the range in Atlanta....Black Rose and the kiddo had gone to Alabama for some horse riding/SCA Equestrian practice, so after work I hit the range.  As I was leaving, a guy walked out of the other side (split range, 8 stalls to the side) followed by his girlfriend, who he was teaching to shoot.  She was yelling at him for getting burned.  He responded, "I told you that you didn't want to wear that, but you insisted.  You said you wanted to look sexy with the gun."  She was about 5'8", buck-thirty, double D cup or better.  And she had maybe a yard and a half of cloth on.  VEERRY low cut halter top (i.e. you could see the bottom of the bra at the bottom of the v-neck), daisy dukes, and six inch sandals.  And about two nicely defined brands on the inside front line of her breasts.

FUNNAH as all HELL!
Heh, no brains but with a pair like that, who cares

....waiting in your dreams....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #91 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 4:09am
Print Post  
I've picked up a copy of the 2007 Gun Buyer's Guide. The Kimber Desert Warrior looks interesting but with a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of #1,369, I'm not even going to pick one up!  Grin I seem to have more expensive taste in guns than I do in jewelry. Anyway, I'm going through the buyer's guide to see what looks both interesting and affordable. I haven't established my budget yet but anything over $400 is likely to be out of the question, at least for my first purchase. I also have a van and a laptop on my shopping list after all.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #92 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
I ordered a 60" fiberglass recurve bow today with a 30 pound (approximately) pull. I'll pick up the arrows (I like to hand pick them!), targets and the rest of the gear I'll need locally. They haven't processed the order yet since it is Sunday but since they are in Fort Wayne I am not anticipating having to wait too long for it to be delivered! Before too long I expect to be roaming through the woods stalking the wily tree stump!  Smiley That should keep me out of trouble while sharpening my "eye" while I continue my handgun search.

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #93 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Sounds Good!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #94 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Yep! I got the email after I'd posted that the order had been processed so it likely shipped today. If so and depending on the shipper, I could have it by Wednesday. If they are really on the ball, I could have it tomorrow but I'm not going to hold my breath!.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #95 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!!

Skywise went to let the cats out when he got up -- about 20 minutes ago -- and there is was on the front step!!! UPS usually delivers in the afternoon but I guess with the heat advisory they are starting their deliveries before dawn. Anyway.... I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT!!!!  Smiley

My bow that is. Now all I need are arrows, targets, an armguard and finger tab. Soon there will be shopping but not today! They changed Skywise's schedule again. More on that in the Rant section!
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007 at 5:09pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Black_Rose
Global Moderator

Serenity Stick Thumper

Reply #96 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Yayness!!!

I can't wait to see how well you do with it!

Black Rose

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #97 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I used to be a pretty good shot and I didn't practice that much. I'll just have to get back into practice and compensate for my eyesight which is a bit worse than it was the last time I picked up a bow.

IP Logged

Deirachel
Forum Administrator

Ego eo

Reply #98 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
You may want to invest in a "woman's shooting vest".

In essence it's a piece of slick fabric that squishes the left or right (depending on how you shoot) breasticle, and makes a smooth, slick surface for the string to slide over.  In otherwords, no string trying to cut off your nipples.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #99 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
That's never been a problem for me. "String burn" on my arm, I've had when I practiced in short sleeves! Ouchie...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint