Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Penthesilea's Castle...posts 2100 to 2299 (Read 16344 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Castle...posts 2100 to 2299
Reply #75 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:01pm

#2175   Penthesilea

“I’ve got troubles coming out of my ears! In addition to my Lord Marshall being on the southeastern border trying to keep us from being overrun by the scum of the planet, we've got man-eating critters of every sort in the Catacombs under the Castle and an old ex wants to kidnap me and turn me into a sex slave. You know, the usual....”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #76 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:02pm

#2176  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Jasmine and Sir Michael stepped into a sheltered spot next to the wall where they could talk. “I’d like to dance but I’m on duty right now and so are you. It is our duty to protect the Keyholder,” Jasmine whispered and then stood on tiptoe to steal a kiss. Michael embraced her.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:02pm

#2177 [Rewritten by Penthesilea[

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthesilea
Maybe you should move in here for the duration! It's not Paradise Valley but at least we have a training hall!

“Could I move back into my old apartment? I’ve missed the peace and quiet here.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #78 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:03pm

#2178  Penthesilea

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Jasmine and Sir Michael stepped into a sheltered spot next to the wall where they could talk. “I’d like to dance but I’m on duty right now and so are you. It is our duty to protect the Keyholder,” Jasmine whispered and then stood on tiptoe to steal a kiss. Michael embraced her.

Aphrodite, standing nearby, throws a little blessing their way and kiss becomes.... more..

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:04pm

#2179   Penthesilea

Quote: 

“Could I move back into my old apartment? I’ve missed the peace and quiet here.”

“My house is yours. And, you would be closer to Sir Alexander and farther away from Lord Stephan. Maybe some distance would make him drop his guard.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #80 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:04pm

#2180  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Quote:
“I got troubles coming out of my ears! My Lord Marshall is on the southeastern border trying to keep us from being overrun by the scum of the planet, we've got man-eating critters of every sort in the Catacombs under the Castle and an old ex wants to kidnap me and turn me into a sex slave. You know, the usual....”

At Daemon’s signal, a number of gremlins immediately come to his side and he explains the situation tersely. The gremlins nod. Their clan members that were already in residence had been been bringing them up to speed. After a quick conversation in gremlinese, the gremlins headed for the nearest door leading to the Courtyard. They would get their heavy weapons and notify their kinfolk at the caves. A systematic search of the Castle, its subterranean levels and its grounds would commence immediately. Daemon nodded in approval and turned back to his sister.
     “The Gremlins will begin a thorough search of the Castle and the grounds. If they find anything they can’t handle, they’ll give us a shout.” Penthesilea smiled. She knew that there was very little likely to be abroad that a pack of determined gremlins couldn’t handle. “As for the ex” Daemon continued. “the girls’ father, I assume?”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #81 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:05pm

#2181  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Quote:
*Aphrodite, standing nearby, throws a little blessing their way and kiss becomes.... more..*

The kiss leaves Jasmine breathless. “We probably should get back to work. Maybe you could come to my quarters later.....”  Michael says nothing. His answer is in his eyes.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #82 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:06pm

#2182    Penthesilea
Quote:
     At Daemon’s signal, a number of gremlins immediately come to his side and he explains the situation tersely. The gremlins nod. Their clans members that were already in residence had been been bringing them up to speed. After a quick conversation in gremlinese, the gremlins headed for the nearest door leading to the Courtyard. They would get their heavy weapons and notify their kinfolk at the caves. A systematic search of the Castle, its subterranean levels and its grounds would commence immediately. Daemon nodded in approval and turned back to his sister.
     “The Gremlins will begin a thorough search of the Castle and the grounds. If they find anything they can’t handle, they’ll give us a shout.” Penthesilea smiled. She knew that there was very little likely to be abroad that a pack of determined gremlins couldn’t handle. “As for the ex” Daemon continued. “the girls’ father, I assume?”

“He hasn't shown himself yet. He just sent a minion to drink my blood and kidnap me....but stick around. There should be something to kill shortly if things run true to form.....” On cue, the whole Castle shakes...  “What is it with our parties!?”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #83 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:07pm

#2183  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Meanwhile... in the badlands..

Kodiak fired until his weapon’s charge ran out then scooped up another blaster that had been dropped by a dead man and continued firing. No one could accuse Darklord Kodiak of lacking physical courage. Anyone foolish enough to do so found himself regretting it just before he died. But Kodiak was no fool. He knew a hopeless situation when he saw one. Whatever had wiped out his army was a danger to the Castle and to the Keyholder. She had to be warned and he was the only one left who could do it.  He had to escape. Having decided he began to run for the area of the camp where the air bikes were parked. If deserters had not taken them all, he would be able to outrun the swarm of bats.  He continued to spray blaster fire to clear a path and to keep them off him. As he ran, he noticed first that the swarm was thinning and then that they were flying toward a figure that had seeming appeared out of the gloom.  Kodiak paused to get a better look.
     It was man-shaped in only in that it had a head, torso, two legs and two arms. Beyond that, Kodiak had no words to describe it. As he watched with growing horror, the bats settled on the creature’s exposed body and bit deep and where they did so, the creature’s flesh flushed red. Kodiak realized that the bats were feeding the creature with the blood of his army! Kodiak stood frozen in revulsion as the bats fed their master then flew off to have their places taken by others. Then the creature noticed Kodiak. It made a sound that Kodiak took for laughter and spoke in a high pitched whine that made his ears hurt and sent the bats flying in his direction. That broke the paralysis that held Kodiak. He sprinted for the air bikes, praying to the Gods that he would find one that was operational.
     The Gods heard him. The first one he found was armed, fully charged and with the ignition unlocked. He fired one last blast from the rifle at the pursuing bats, expending the last of the charge, and gunned the bike. It sprang upward and Kodiak turned it in the only direction that was NOT filled with bats. He wanted to escape but he would not lead this horror back to the Castle. He would lose them first, then make his way home.  He circled southward around the camp with the swarm of bats in hot pursuit and more joining the chase by the second. Kodiak was looking for a way to lose them when Fate took matters out of his hands. A sudden flash signaled an enormous Reality Breach.  Kodiak barely had time to flash past it before a scream of animal defiance shattered the air and  what appeared to Kodiak to be some sort of marine lizard, with torrents of water pouring off of it, plunged through the rip in reality and into the swarm of bats pursuing Kodiak. The lizard quite obligingly opened its enormous maw and swallowed a hundred or more of them at one gulp.
    As Kodiak raced away, the giant lizard continued to gulp down the bats that insisted on swarming around it’s mouth. They did little to ease the beast’s ravenous hunger and it smelled the freshly dead remains of Kodiak’s army.  Without hesitation it began to scoop up the dead, swallowing most of them whole although body parts dropped from its jaws as it bit down.  Seeing that the bats were no longer blocking the route to the Castle, Kodiak swung his air bike around to the northwest.  The bats’ master saw his change in direction and, infuriated both by Kodiak’s impending escape and the wholesale destruction of his pets, seized a fallen blaster rifle and began firing at Kodiak as he sped into range. Kodiak evaded and returned fire with his air bike’s forward cannon. Kodiak cursed as the creature managed to block his fire, resulting in bright flashes that nearly blinded Kodiak’s light sensitive eyes in the growing darkness.  For several precious seconds, Kodiak was flying blind and in those seconds, the lizard noticed him....
A blast of fetid air was Kodiak’s only warning. With instinct and desperation born of his unyielding determination to survive, Kodiak pulled his bike into a sharp turn. As Kodiak’s vision cleared he got an entirely too close look down the lizard’s throat. Then he zipped past its teeth, slipping out of its mouth as its jaws slammed shut. With roar of thwarted animal rage, the lizard swung its massive head toward Kodiak’s fleeing airbike and began to give chase. Kodiak didn’t need to look back to know the beast was there. Its footfalls were like thunder and its breath still managed to reach him despite the wind rushing past him as he opened his air bike up all the way in a desperate attempt to outrun it.  Within moments, Kodiak knew that hope was futile. The beast was too fast and its stride too long for Kodiak to outrun it. There was no cover beyond scattered boulders in the rugged foothills of the Giant’s Rib Mountain Range and none of those were large enough to hide him. He also suspected that the beast would be able to hear the air bike even if he could evade it long enough to put it into stealth mode. Kodiak was running out of options and time. He would have to go to ground where the beast could neither follow or reach him. He would have to choose correctly the first time. There would be no second chance. Kodiak offered a brief desperate prayer to his patron and made his choice -- a cave that the army had camped near previously and which was coming up fast. He remembered one of his lieutenants reporting that it was deep and that the back of it had not been found by them when it had been searched for bandits. The cave came into sight. It was rapidly getting dark but Kodiak could see it opening clearly. He brought the air bike down to ground level and skimmed a zigzag course through the boulders and scrub brush that covered the landscape. He shot into the cave’s mouth at full speed and then braked hard hoping to avoid hitting the walls. Forlorn hope. The cave made a sharp turn and he was going too fast to either stop or turn. Kodiak dived off the bike, landed hard on an unseen slope and tumbled down it to come to a stop, unconscious, at the bottom of it as, above him, his air bike crashed into the rock sending a blast of energy back out of the cave mouth and into the face of the lizard. It roared in pain as it staggered away from the cave but Kodiak did not hear it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #84 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:08pm

#2184  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Quote:
He hasn't shown himself yet. He just sent a minion to drink my blood and kidnap me....but stick around. There should be something to kill shortly if things run true to form..... *On cue, the whole Castle shakes...* What is it with our parties!?

Daemon pulls a small comunit from his belt pouch and speaks rapidly into it. He didn’t know what was out there but anything big enough to cause a building as large and stable as the Castle to shake definitely called for air support! “Air support is on the way, sis.  Any idea what we are dealing with?”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #85 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:08pm

#2185  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

“Not a clue. I swear, I think that someone is keeping track of the social calendar so they can send monsters in!”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #86 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:09pm

#2186   Penthesilea

“We may want to move everyone into the Ballroom and Pub areas. Daemon has called in air support.”  Looks to the Ballroom ceiling and hopes that the roof gardens survive.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #87 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:09pm

#2187  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Looking alarmed, Lord Stephan summons his guards to him along with Coral and Jasmine.  Penthesilea ignores the fact that technically Jasmine is under her command and subject to her orders in an emergency. If Jasmine’s presence with him keeps Lord Stephan out of Penthesilea’s hair, she will consider herself well served!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:10pm

#2188   Penthesilea

Quote:
     “We may want to move everyone into the Ballroom and Pub areas. Daemon has called in air support...” Looks to the Ballroom ceiling and hopes that the roof gardens survive.....

*The staff, knights and Guardsmen start moving everyone inside.*

Penthesilea: *As the Castle shakes again.* Any idea what it is?

Partygoer: *At a second floor window.* Look!

The Keyholder runs up the nearest flight of stairs to the window and looks. It is the biggest marine iguana that she has ever seen!*

Penthesilea: Daemon! WE GOT A BIG LIZARD!! (Under her breath.) Another damned reality breach!

Goes over the rail in her party dress and lands on the ballroom floor.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #89 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:11pm

#2189    Penthesilea

“Everybody stay calm! This won't take a minute! (under breath) I hope!”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #90 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:12pm

#2190  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

One of the older pages runs into the ballroom with a command headset for Penthesilea and she can see from her vantage point that the refugees that Daemon brought with him are coming into the Castle for shelter from the coming battle.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #91 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:12pm

#2191  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

A swarm of heavily armed gremlins as well as a score of equally well armed warriors enter the Ballroom and head for Daemon. One of them is carrying what is obviously Daemon’s battle gear.  Penthesilea gets a report from the Castle’s AI and orders more power to the tech shields even as she reenforces the magickal ones.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #92 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:13pm

#2192     Penthesilea

BOOM!!!

Penthesilea: Well, it found the fireworks. * Windows rattle.* Daemon! You said something about backup?!!? Soon would be nice!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #93 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:14pm

#2193     Penthesilea

The Keyholder takes a moment to hug a frightened child and to reassure her mother.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #94 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:15pm

#2194    [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

In the badlands..

Kodiak awoke, bruised and aching, in absolute darkness. He laid there for a time working on remembering what had happened immediately prior to awakening on hard stone in the dark. It didn’t take long for him to remember once his head cleared. Cautiously, he felt his way around and discovered that he was at the bottom of a slope too unstable to climb. Or at least it was where he was standing.  He would have to find another way out.
     Kodiak’s abilities in magick were severely limited but he had some skills and making a mage light was one of them. He conjured a tiny one, he didn’t need much light, and set out to find a way out of the cave.  He had the survival kit that was always on his person and his training. He was confident that he would find a way out and then make his way back to the Castle.  In the depths of the cave, time seemed to stand still and if it were not for his illuminated wristwatch, Kodiak would not have known what day it was, let alone what time. As it was, after nearly three hours of searching, Kodiak found a promising passage. He could smell both water and fresh air and he followed those scents cautiously, since he did not know what he would find when he reached the source.  He’d only gone a short distance when he picked up the unmistakable scent of something else.  Somewhere up ahead there was spilled blood and lots of it. Kodiak’s caution increased. There were few places in the world where he could remember the scent of blood being so strong and those places were battlefields.
     The passage angled upward and Kodiak took that as a hopeful sign despite the smell of death. He would work his way past whatever blocked his way and continue on to the surface. That is what he firmly told himself as he came to the end of the passage and looked out into the space beyond. Laid out before him was what at first glance appeared to be a cavern but it was lit as if by the light of a full moon and the air that brought the scent of blood to him was fresh.  He could see green growing things: trees, grass and flowers and the splashing sound of falling water came from a small fountain a few feet inside the cavern. Cautiously, Kodiak slipped into the cavern. He felt an odd sensation as he did so as if he were passing though some sort of barrier but it felt nothing like any magickal or technological ward that he had ever encountered so he filed it in his mind for future reference  and concentrated on his search for a passage to the surface.
     Kodiak’s nose told him that he should be stepping onto a battlefield, the scent of blood was so strong, but the scene around him was peaceful and serene with neither sight nor sound of conflict to mar its perfection. He proceeded cautiously with the intention of keeping to cover but quickly found that to be impossible. Whenever he attempted to leave the path some force firmly guided him back to it.  The short hairs on the back of the Lord Marshall’s neck began to stir as the implications of the situation began to form in his mind.  He was reminded entirely too much of some livestock handling facilities that he had seen in his travels.  Kodiak decided that perhaps another route would be wiser and turned to retrace his steps only to find the way solidly blocked by the same force that kept him on the path. Having no choice, he continued on with every sense alert for whatever might be lurking beyond his range of vision. The path angled to the left and Kodiak approached the bend carefully. Then he stopped in his tracks and moved off the path as much as the barrier would let him. He heard voices and other sounds that were hauntingly familiar but that he couldn’t immediately place.  Kodiak peered around the bend and looked out on a scene that filled his soul, long accustomed to horror, with revulsion. The path he stood on was one of dozens that led to a large circular area bounded high hedges. In the center were several large troughs of the type normally used to water livestock. Only these troughs were filled with blood and the splashing that Kodiak had heard was blood flowing from the slashed throats of several human bodies hanging over them.  The troughs were surrounded by some forty vampires who were dipping cups of the hot blood from them and drinking.
     Kodiak’s sense of self-preservation kicked into high gear. He had no illusions about what would happen if they caught him. He had no real desire to kill them, despite what they were doing, since he knew too well that they were doing only what was necessary to survive.  He just would not permit himself, or anyone under his protection, to serve as the means of their survival!  He took quick inventory. He had his long survival knife strapped to his thigh as his only weapon beyond his hands, feet and fangs against forty vampires. He did not like the odds. The barrier that had prevented him from retreating was pressing against his back, trying to force him into the clearing. Kodiak had no choice. He would have to enter the clearing and skirt the edge, avoiding detection,  until he reached another path that he prayed would allow him to enter.
Kodiak picked a moment when all the vampires were involved in feeding and stepped into the clearing. He stayed in the shadows along the edge of the clearing, moving as quickly and as quietly as he could. Vampire ears were supernaturally sharp as was the sense of smell. Kodiak hoped that the presence of so much blood would mask his scent and their preoccupation with feeding would keep them from hearing him.
     The first path would not permit him to enter. Neither would the second. Kodiak’s mind was filled with a combination of prayer and curses as he approached the third opening.  He didn’t hear the sound that gave him away. Maybe it was an unseen twig snapping under his boot, maybe it was the sound of his breathing or his heartbeat but suddenly a vampire looked up from her feeding and saw him and shouted to her companions in a language that Kodiak couldn’t understand. The message, however, was clear enough as those vampires closest to him dropped their empty cups and charged him.  Kodiak’s knife cleared its sheath and he slashed the throat of first vampire to reach him before his conscious mind had even registered the fact of the attack, spraying him with the vampire’s freshly consumed meal.  Then the others were upon him and for Kodiak there was nothing but the Darkness rising in him and the drive to survive!
     How long the battle continued, Kodiak had no idea. One moment, he was fighting for his life and the next, he was standing amid the corpses of the dead. A distant detached part of his mind noted that the vampires had not disintegrated as they usually did. Their bodies remained more or less intact where they had fallen giving mute testimony to Kodiak’s warrior prowess. The greater portion of him mind was being filled with an ever greater urgency to escape -- to run!  Kodiak turned to the opening that he had been approaching when he had been discovered. He pushed against the barrier that he found there and it gave way. Not wishing to press his luck, Kodiak headed down the path, breaking into a run as the urge to escape approached panic.  Kodiak ran as hard and as fast as he could, his mind filled with nothing but the need to escape and return to the Castle. The Castle and its Lady filled his mind as the world turned inside out and then went black.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #95 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:16pm

#2195  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Quote:
BOOM!!!

Penthesilea: Well, it found the fireworks. * Windows rattle.* Daemon! You said something about backup?!!? Soon would be nice!

The unmistakable whine of airsleds penetrates the walls of the Castle followed by explosions and roars of reptilian pain.
     “You were saying” Daemon asks with a grin.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #96 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:16pm

#2197  Penthesilea

“I was saying that your timing is flawless.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #97 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:17pm

#2198 [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

The Head Bard signals her people and the music begins again. No one returns to the dancing but the music serves to keep everyone, especially the children, calm.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #98 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:18pm

#2199  [Rewritten by Penthesilea]

Daemon finishes arming himself. “I’ll take care of this, sis.  You hold the shields on the Castle.”

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #99 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:19pm

#2200     Penthesilea

Penth nods and Daemon heads out with the gremlins and warriors right behind him. Moments later, Penth hears her brother’s battle cry for a moment before it is drowned out by another earsplitting roar. She casts a sound shield spell over the Castle to spare everyone’s ears. She looks up from it to see her father approaching.

Lord Duncan:  Your brother is here? I'm sorry I missed him.

Penthesilea: You'll catch up with him. *she winks at her father, who grins back.*

Post # 9,300

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Send TopicPrint