Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Penthesilea's Renovation (Read 47515 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Penthesilea's Renovation
Reply #125 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I've been informed via email that my stepper has shipped and it's currently in Tennessee. Hopefully the driveway won't intimidate the UPS driver when he arrives (estimated delivery: next Thursday) so he will actually deliver the package and NOT leave it on the side of the road next to the mailbox.....
Yes, I'll be watching the tracking VERY closely!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #126 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 1:40am
Print Post  
IZ HAPPY!!

My stepper arrived in Indianapolis at around 5:30 this morning, snowstorm notwithstanding. Which means it will be delivered either Monday or Wednesday. Given the amount of snow in the driveway, we're going to have to keep a sharp eye out because the last time UPS delivered a large package here when there was a lot of snow, the Smiley left in the snow, next to the mailbox rather than walk it down to the house or chance the driveway. I don't especially want my package sitting in the snow where it could be stolen or hit by a car or the county snowplow!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #127 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I have been presented with fresh and compelling incentive to exercise. Yesterday, for the first time in a while, I saw Spirit coming out of the bathroom after a bath. She was wearing nothing but a towel around her head [TMI, I know but bear with me.] and I realized that my girl's weight had reached a point that is neither healthy nor attractive. I knew she was getting a bit heavy but it was brought home to me just how "heavy" she has gotten. Both Moonie and I mentioned it to her and after she got dressed, she spent the afternoon and most of the evening in her room sleeping -- getting ready for New Year's Eve. Moonie and I spent a good part of that time wondering how we were going to get Spirit's weight down since she's an extremely picky eater and since she has her own money, she can and does buy whatever treats and snacks she wants, frequently without us knowing about it.
After the year turned, Spirit surprised me. She came upstairs and started doing jumping jacks in the living room. I asked her if she wanted to exercise to lose weight and she said "yes" so I told her that as soon as the Christmas tree was taken down and we had room to do it in the basement, we'd start exercising. So she took the decorations off the tree this morning and she's been hauling parts of the artificial tree and the decorations past me for the last fifteen minutes. I suspect that later, I'll be pulling out my exercise plan and see what modifications, if any, are needed for Spirit to use it. The stepper I ordered should be here by Thursday and I want to incorporate it into the exercise plan. I figure that the best and only way to keep Spirit exercising is to do the same exercise plan that she does and since I do NOT want my girl to look like her paternal grandmother, she's gonna have to drop some weight. I have no idea how much she weighs but I DO know it's too much. I'll be taking measurements -- hers and mine -- probably on Wednesday and we'll go from there.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #128 - Jan 2nd, 2013 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
According to Amazon, my stepper is "out for delivery." I'm hoping that it gets here before dark since our driveway would be very difficult to get down in the dark! UPS usually delivers here from around three in the afternoon to about five so I'm keeping an ear cocked for the sound of a delivery truck engine....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #129 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I waited all day for the stepper to be delivered and never heard the truck. Then the Firstborn went out for a little walk just before dark and she found the box, in the driveway, in the snow, IN FRONT OF THE VAN WHERE I COULDN'T SEE IT! I don't know how long it's been there but it wasn't there when Skywise left for work at 2 pm. The box probably weighs about half of what Moonie does but she managed to wrestle it from where the never to be sufficiently swore at offspring of diseased canines left it, through the snow and halfway up our front steps before getting me to help her and between us we managed to get it into the house.
This isn't the first time they've left a package in the snow either.....
At least I have it and after Skywise helps me get it down the stairs, I'll get it put together and start using it.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2013 at 12:40am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #130 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:19am
Print Post  
According to the tracking, the stepper was delivered at 5:09 pm and left on the "porch."
I wasn't aware that we HAVE a porch...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #131 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 2:14am
Print Post  
The stepper is assembled and I gave it a quick test -- just a few minutes -- and judging from the places that have already started to "twinge" it is going to seriously work my lower body -- which is exactly what I want it to do.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #132 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 4:03am
Print Post  
I used the stepper this afternoon continuously for 1 minute and a half. That doesn't sound like a lot but it is when your knee is grinding like a rusty hinge and hurting like "heck." I'm gonna go downstairs and try for two minutes before I call it a night. A minute or two here and there will add up. Not quickly but they'll add up. I still have to get the weight bench out from under Spirit's stuffed animals so we can start on that part of the program.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #133 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 12:40am
Print Post  
I just did five continuous minutes on the stepper. I may be crippled in the morning -- or before the night's over -- but I did five minutes. I have it set pretty high (meaning that it takes a lot of "push" to get the pedals to go down) so while I didn't work very long or burn a lot of calories I'm moving toward my goal which is to build strength in my legs as quickly as possible.

Post # 27,321

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #134 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I've lost about a pound and a half this past week. My plot to keep my body from thinking we're in the middle of a famine seems to be working. I've been eating at more or less regular intervals even if I don't feel especially hungry and I've lost weight. It seems counter intuitive but it also seems to be working.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #135 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 1:17am
Print Post  
I did not quite 4 minutes on the stepper tonight. I probably would have done more but I managed to catch my foot and nearly fell this morning and my left shin has hurt ever since so I couldn't do as much as I wanted to. On the plus side, Spirit put in some time on the stepper too. She didn't work as long as I did but she "stepped" faster. The point is, she's doing it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #136 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Been working on the makeover plan this afternoon. I'll be working on the makeover itself later! LOL Nearly falling yesterday has resulted in a sore left leg and trudging around on compacted snow/ice this morning/afternoon did NOT help. So there is aspirin in my immediate future! Still, I'm pleased with my results so far considering all I've been doing is using the stepper and watching what and when I eat.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #137 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 5:46am
Print Post  
I took yesterday (Wednesday) off from using the stepper in hopes that it would hurt less today. No such luck. I was able to do three and half minutes before the pain made me stop. *sigh* I've been working on the rest of the exercise plan this evening. I HAD this all figured out but I can't find my blasted notes so I'm starting over from scratch. THIS plan is going in a three ring binder that hopefully will NOT get lost. At least it won't disappear into a file in the guts of the computer!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #138 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:01am
Print Post  
Still working to shoehorn the workouts I want to do into a seven day week. I really need a personal trainer -- preferably one that is hot, "built" and male. Some "hands on" motivation would be very welcome.
So would organizational skills!
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:06am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #139 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Well, I've got it all sorted -- I think. I'll probably have to have two workouts a day in order to fit everything in and not kill myself at least in the beginning. After the first couple of months, I "should" be able to do it all at once. I've also gotten all the record sheets I'll need designed and ready to print. *gulp* Tomorrow is a "light" day with minimal activity. Monday is when I get "serious."
And right now, my left shin hurts like hell.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #140 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Was not able to "get serious" on Monday or Tuesday either. On the plus side, my left shin is feeling better so I figure that the layoff is probably a good thing and I'm using the time to "fine tune" things. I've only laid out the schedule for the first eight weeks. When I get close to the end of that, I start thinking about changes, if I want to make any beyond increasing the amount of weight I'm using, and just generally reevaluate what I'm doing. The diet part seems to be working. My weight is trending slowly downward most weeks and on those weeks when it doesn't, I don't gain or at least not more than a couple 10ths of a pound on the scale. I'll be tracking my weight and measurements along with what I do in the way of daily exercise. I'm expecting that "keeping track" will keep me on track since I don't have a hot, sexy, well-built male personal trainer to keep me focused!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #141 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 2:47am
Print Post  
The exercise plan is as "fine tuned" as I can make it until I start using it (Sunday is again designated as the "Day to get serious!" so I've been spending some time working on the "diet" end of things. Since I haven't felt the best in the world today, I worked on getting looking up nutrition data for what I normally eat when we're out and adding it to my personal diet list along with what I normally eat at home. Boring work but not requiring a lot of brain power. I'm hoping to get a little proofreading done this evening so I won't feel like a TOTAL slacker!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #142 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 2:41am
Print Post  
I added some more info to the diet part of the makeover plan. I'm trying to pull all the essential information together in one word document and I was lucky to find what I needed online rather than transcribing it from the book it's from (which I have.) I have some additional info I want to add but I can't find the dratted book! Can't find it online either! CURSES! Oh well, I can get started without it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #143 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I dropped a little weight last week despite "stress eating," irregular mealtimes, insufficient sleep and no exercise so I'd say the "diet" part of the plan is working. I haven't started the "exercise" part of the program yet mainly due to the fatigue I'm having due to lack of good sleep and stress. If I can manage to get a few good nights' sleep under my belt, I should be able to tackle the exercise part without feeling like I'm killing myself.....

Maiming myself a little is okay however.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #144 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:45am
Print Post  
I've been giving the wardrobe a very perfunctory going over and the results are damned depressing.
I am in a "wardrobe rut," no doubt about it. I've been living in jeans, tees and men's shirts for entirely too long. Since it has been literally decades since I did any serious wardrobe upgrading, I've hit the books to get some direction and I have some idea now of what I need to do first. I ordered this, in khaki, last night. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63715?feat=0-ppxs&dds=y   I had one years ago that I wore to rags and discovered last night that they'd brought it back so I ordered it at once. Moonie wanted one too so two are coming. If Spirit likes mine, I'll get one for her too. It's perfect to wear when I don't want to carry my purse a.k.a. "the bottomless pit" but need to carry a few more things than my beltbag will hold.

I've needed a raincoat/3 season coat for years so after I got the girls this model for Christmas, http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65931?feat=raincoats%20women-SR0&page=h2off-dx-th... I ordered one for myself in black. Given past experience with LL Bean, I expect at least a decade of use out of it, barring something drastic happening to it.

From here on out, it's gonna be more complicated. I've found a brand/style of jeans that fit me decently so I'm set there but everything else will have to be relentlessly hunted down while in the company of a bored and restless family although Skywise's opinion concerning fit, style and color WILL be ruthlessly solicited!
I don't even want to think about shoes. My dancing shoes are gorgeous but aren't really suited for "street wear" so I'm going to have to do something about that too but not right away.
It is also obvious to me that our totally inadequate bedroom closet is going to have to the current fixtures torn out, be redesigned and redone. The switch for the overhead bedroom light and an electrical outlet will have to be moved too since the original installer of same was a moron. Smiley I may have to invest in a "portable" closet to use while renovations are ongoing. Don't think any actual tearing out of fixtures will happen immediately though. "Design first, THEN demolition!"
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2013 at 6:47pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #145 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Went looking at clothes online last night and found only one thing that I "may" get. Spending that much for a blouse/shirt makes me swallow hard. I saw a sweater that is exactly what I'm looking for but it's clearance -- to make room for the spring stuff -- and they're out of my size and the color I want. Smiley I'm hoping for better luck in the fall. *sigh* Anyway, after looking over the selection of basic blouses/shirts it's looking like I'm going to have to start prowling the fabric stores for good quality shirt fabric and just make my own. Pull over tops, other than tees, look like they're going to have to be "custom made" too. Good thing I have a selection of patterns that would be the envy of a professional seamstress. So I guess my first project is going to have to be setting up a REAL sewing center downstairs. Fortunately, I have a regular sewing machine, a serger and a craft table. ALL I need is room to get everything set up.....
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:03pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #146 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 4:03am
Print Post  
After thorough and careful introspection and MUCH filling out of questionnaires, I find myself in the "Outdoorsy" fashion category which doesn't take me by surprise -- I'm a country girl after all -- with a fairly decent side order of the "Seductress" category which only surprises me a little. I'm learning to bellydance after all. Filling in the "Outdoorsy" part of my wardrobe won't be that difficult. I have an LL Bean catalog after all but the "Seductress" is gonna be a bit more difficult. Even in one's twenties, the line between sexy and sleazy is a fine one and the older you get, the finer it gets and the more attention you have to pay when you walk it. Skywise can help me with that. He has a keen eye for what makes a woman look good and he'll be able to tell me what's working and what isn't if I'm of two minds about something. Of course, once I have the "Seductress" wardrobe, I'll need someone to seduce.....
Maybe Skywise will have some suggestions.....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #147 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
The vests have arrived. Moonie's fits perfectly. Mine is a little tight but I expected that. I was "between sizes" on their chart and I went with the smaller size. I am determined to be smaller come summer hiking season!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #148 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:24am
Print Post  
I've been doing a little experimentation and the preliminary results are in. It seems that using the stepper alleviates my knee pain. Presently, it hurts like hell to use it but the next day, the pain in my knees when I walk is noticeably less. I didn't use it for a few days to test the theory and so far it's proved out. So it would appear that my problem stems from weak quadriceps which IS correctable without surgery. ALL I have to do is grit my teeth and use the stepper until I get to the point where there isn't any pain and then use it regularly so it doesn't come back. Of course, the less pain I'm in, the more agreeable using the stepper will be!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #149 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 4:25am
Print Post  
I used the stepper last night and tonight and while I won't say that it was "easy" tonight, it was easier than last night and I was able to extend my time on it by a minute and some seconds. That may not be a lot to some people but given the condition of my knees and how much just plain walking can hurt, that's an accomplishment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Send TopicPrint