Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16515 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Reply #100 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I was up late enough last night to download another set of larp rules which I've been printing this morning. My only beef is that each chapter has a full color photograph as the first page which takes a lot of ink and makes the paper crinkly which in turn makes it much more likely to jam the printer. I managed to avoid that today -- the printer gets downright sulky after a jam has been cleared -- but it was a near thing. So now I'm thinking that photographs in the rulebook will be kept to a minimum until such time as we have "print on demand" set up somewhere.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #101 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 5:11am
Print Post  
I've added a bit more to the rulebook -- filling in the "professional package deals."

Post #33,123
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014 at 5:12am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #102 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 1:40am
Print Post  
I've been prowling the websites and facebook pages of various larps and I'm learning a lot.
Nearly everyone seems to be doing a variant of the NERO "medieval age" model or some sort of "immediate post-apocalyptic world" model. One group is doing a larp based on Norse mythology with Celtic and Arthurian elements mixed in. Another seems to be doing something with a pre-Islamic setting but still "medieval" in terms of development and there is one group (that I've found so far) that's doing a "homebrew" superhero larp. There seems to be a small but active group of larpers in Central Indiana. The same names keep turning up the members lists of the various groups. I'm cautiously hopeful that by the time my larp is ready there will be a pool of people ready to try something new that isn't a rehash of something that's already out there.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #103 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 3:36am
Print Post  
I bought a couple of pieces of PVC pipe today -- 24 inches and 60 inches by 3/4 inch -- and I'm going to print out all the instructions I've gathered for larp weapons making and make out a shopping list for the rest of what I'll need. Then I'm going to start experimenting and see what I can come up with.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #104 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
I printed out the weapon construction PDFs I have and I'll go over them this afternoon the next time I'm knocked offline. I can read them easily now so I can start making some plans. I've already had one idea for adding a bit of weight to the hilts to improve the balance....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #105 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Just did a very quick and dirty page count on my larp and it came out to 216 pages and is NOT with all the tables put in! Smiley It will help with all the blank spaces are either filled in or eliminated but STILL.  [Again Smiley!]

This is what happens when you want something to be as complete as possible the FIRST time.]
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2014 at 1:23am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #106 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 2:36am
Print Post  
The "Player's Guide to Samgara" is going to be a LOT shorter than the Reader's Guide and some appendices that I was going to put in to make some things easier to find have been cut. The Rulebook was going to be too damned long with everything I wanted to include. So a very detailed Table of Contents and Index with only one appendix. The comprehensive weapons' construction manual will have to be separate -- only basic stuff in the rulebook. Even so, I'm looking at close to 400 pages and I want to cut that down if I can. I guess I'll have to write it first then edit. I'm making a real effort not to be too wordy and/or over-explain things.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #107 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Current page count with some of the character generation pages pasted in: 270 Smiley

Post # 60,066 for the site
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2014 at 3:56am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #108 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 3:33am
Print Post  
While taking a break from larp writing and chores I started looking for places where a group could play. I'm finding a lot of camps that seem to be solidly booked with their own "faith based" or "youth based" activities with nothing that would indicate a willingness to let a group of reasonably sane adults run around in costume while fighting with boffer swords use their property for a weekend. Those that do, appear to be locked up by already exiting groups. This has me wishing for the wherewithal to buy a piece of suitable property and start building a "larp park" from scratch -- more or less. Unfortunately, I stopped playing the lottery a few years ago so unless Uni drops a sizable sum into my lap AND a suitable property were to become available at the same time, it's a pipe dream.
That will NOT, however, stop me from dreaming. 

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #109 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 1:07am
Print Post  
I've been going over the larp rulebooks I've been downloading and I must say that of the bunch Legends of Asgard has impressed me the most. The character creation system is complete and easy to understand. The "world" is clearly and completely explained and so is the combat system. Everything is laid out in logical order and the table of contents is comprehensive. There aren't any "cool looking" borders on the pages that attempt to make the rulebook look "professional" but only serve to make it look "busy." It's 220 pages of solid, game related information that a player can use.
Unlike "some" rulebooks I've seen lately....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #110 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Found another way to get my little self in trouble.....

https://www.facebook.com/LARPCity/timeline

http://www.larpcityproject.com/

Looks like I'm not the only one wanting a better/dedicated place to larp...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #111 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 4:14am
Print Post  
I've been adding to the larp price lists tonight. I have ALMOST all the "medieval" weapons added in. Once the medieval ones are done, I'll get on Modern Firearms, Explosives/Hand Grenades and the High Tech/SF Weapons and Armor. After that, all the clothing, equipment and miscellaneous "stuff" that a player might want to have for a game. Smiley Character creation and equipping will be without question, the LONGEST section of the rulebook but it will be a complete as I can make it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #112 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 3:50am
Print Post  
I have the game statistics for 310 different firearms. Smiley

I AM NOT PUTTING THEM ALL IN THE RULEBOOK!!!

I will pick a few "representatives" from each class and if someone wants a specific firearm, I can look it up for them.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #113 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
It looks like I'll be able to reduce the number of firearms entries by dividing them up first by the amount of damage they do and then by their strength minimum. A quick scan through the lists has revealed that "damage" ranges from 1d6 to 2d6. Rolling for "damage" during live combat probably isn't practical so I'll have to come up with a set "damage" amount per shot which IS closer to "real life" than not. Thinking I'll be doing a bunch of dice rolls to get an average.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #114 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 4:24am
Print Post  
I finished a couple of lists and got them patched into the character generation section. It's over 180 pages now and isn't finished yet! It's a lot of work but at least when my players sit down to create their characters they'll have all the info that they need to do it. Since I'm not absolutely sure exactly what information we'll need, I'm including a lot of information that applies to tabletop gaming. One thing I've realized is that we'll HAVE to use tabletop rules and dice in the event of a formal duel that's fought hand to hand (Our Hero's duel with the vampire in Book 1 and Our Heroine's duels in Book 3 as examples) rather than with weapons since having actual hand to hand combat is just asking for injuries leading to lawsuits and unhappy insurance providers. So. THAT information has to be included.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2014 at 4:26am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #115 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Downloaded another larp rulebook last night. It's a "homebrew" game that's run in the northern part of the county. The main influence is the Arabian Nights with splashes of other sources (they have orcs, trolls and dark elves). Humans seem to be a minority and a lot of the character classes require makeup, masks, prosthetics, tusks, fangs, claws or some combination of the above. There is even a note in the rules recommending that parts of a character's makeup be removed prior to combat and that no penalty will be levied if this is done.
I think I like my "minimal makeup" characters better.
I KNOW I like my "half vampires" better!
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2014 at 6:39pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #116 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Getting the "food & lodging" price lists filled in. Some of the "game values" are the lowest possible so that makes filling them easy and for the lodging options those values are Not Applicable. You have to pay for them but you can't lug them around with you on an adventure. So that list is pretty much done except for tracking down or deciding on prices.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #117 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Still working on the price lists while thinking of gory battle scenes for Book 4. I'm listening to Invincible by Two Steps from Hell and it's even better than the original Conan the Barbarian movie soundtrack for that sort of thinking....
And I'm thinking that the female antagonist dies WAY too quick considering that her predecessor was first skinned and then burned alive....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #118 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I did some reformatting of tables last night which resulted in those tables being about four pages shorter than they were so at the moment -- with STILL a lot of stuff to put in -- the Character Creation section of the rule book is 156 pages long. Character Creation is definitely going to be the longest section in the rulebook but it will be simple and relatively easy to use with only the occasional need for a calculator. It will also be as COMPLETE as I can make it unlike some systems that will go unmentioned that I've seen during my jaunts around the various larp sites.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2014 at 9:44pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #119 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I've been doing some editing (mostly moving text around and closing up some gaps where I'd inserted page breaks) and the page count for the Character Creation section is down to 154 pages. It won't stay there for long but every "extra" page I can trim is one I can fill with something else. And I have a LOT of "something else" that still needs to go in!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #120 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 2:37am
Print Post  
I've been fooling with index cards, game books and the calculator this afternoon/evening because I've discovered that two items of information that I have for all the other weapons in the price list (and most of the other stuff too) isn't listed ANYWHERE for modern firearms. I haven't checked the High Tech weapons yet but I'm betting that it's the same story there. Soooooo.... I'm going to have to figure out those myself. At this point, I may just estimate what they are using the guidelines in the main HERO System Rulebook that I have and let it go at that. Especially since I haven't been able to figure out the mathematical formula that they used to arrive at the numbers they DO have. *sigh* I've already decided to sort all the firearms together by the number of dice used to roll damage and get an average amount of damage to use for the larp. I'm going to average the weight of the firearms in each class too and finally list them by a third stat that determines who can use them most effectively.
This is gonna take a while and I'm pretty sure that only handguns, rifles and shotguns will make the cut as far as "personal arms" are concerned before I move into the "high tech" stuff. Machine guns and the like would unbalance the game too much.

Post # 33,300
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2014 at 2:38am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #121 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:40am
Print Post  
I've been throwing dice all evening to get the raw data to fix the amount of damage each class of weapons does. I'm dividing them up by the number of dice thrown and I only have 6 more sets to do. I have a feeling I may have to fudge a bit or merge some of the sets since I want to use WHOLE NUMBERS and some of the results are fractions. It doesn't matter if you're doing dice rolls at a table but when you're taking hits from a boffer sword or a Nerf gun, subtracting fractions is the LAST thing on your mind. Subtracting whole numbers is bad enough! Right now, I'm rolling two and a half six sided dice. How do you roll half of a six sided die? It can be done but it is a PITA.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #122 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Well, I have the data I need for "revolvers" recorded and put in a table so I can fill in the price list and the "weapon's stat" list. Since this is for live-action roleplay, I'm simplifying the hell out of what you need to know to conduct combat. In the HERO System, in combat you take two kinds of damage that are kept track of separately and the damage is determined by die rolls. Not wishing to slow things down, I spent an evening rolling dice and came up with an average for each combination of dice (normally between 1 and 3 with a plus or minus 1 or 2 to make the math interesting) and assigned that average to each die roll. I intend to combine the two kinds of damage (Stun and BODY) to simplify things. "Death" occurs when a character has lost all his BODY points and has "negative BODY" equal to his original BODY points. The idea is to make it somewhat hard to die and I intend to make it a bit harder still. Every larp I've run across has a procedure to bring someone back to life. This tells me that combat is a wee bit too lethal. I have the option in the system to increase the speed at which a character recovers from wounds and I may make that part of the "skills" that everyone has. It would certainly explain how even before he was made immortal Our Hero could "take a licking and keep on ticking...."
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:27am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #123 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 4:46am
Print Post  
I didn't get much done today but I was able to transfer the "revolver" information to the appropriate tables. Fortunately, all that required was "drag and drop" and I can do that tonight at least.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #124 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I was able to transfer a lot of information into the weapons' data table last night but doing so made it plain that I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about "damage" in the larp. Tabletop HERO has two kinds of damage and keeping track of both kinds during "live action" isn't practical. So I'm going to have to dig into my books, including the "Champions" larp -- which is HERO System Superheroes -- and figure out how to streamline the system. I want to keep it as simple as possible so as not to slow down play but still reasonably "realistic." *sigh* Good thing I'm feeling better. This is going to take some serious thought.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2014 at 4:22pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Send TopicPrint