Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16411 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Reply #150 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:01am
Print Post  
*looks up from book* Foam boulders? Catapults?! *Goes back to the book....*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #151 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I saw the ad for "The Quest" last night while I was watching the "Agents of SHIELD" double feature and Moonie and I agree that it looks like a larp with a REALLY HIGH production budget and definitely worth checking out. So Thursday at 8 we'll be in front of the television giving it a look.

http://abcallaccess.com/show/the-quest/

In other news, I got a "camping pad" (1/2 inch thick closed cell foam sheet) on Friday and a couple of open cell foam cushions yesterday for use in my weapon making projects. I still need some closed cell foam pipe insulation and some different adhesives but I'm slowly closing in on having all the stuff I need to get started.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #152 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Just encountered a larp that uses lazer-tag weapons which has me thinking that those would be really cool physical representations for the high tech blasters and ray guns when/if we get around to using those.....
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2014 at 2:47am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #153 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Iz scheming.
I have instructions for making a larp shield using the bottom of a bread delivery tray as a base. Those things are expensive and hard to come by -- legally -- so I went snooping on the home improvement store sites and sure enough, "plastic/vinyl lattice" is available in a couple of sizes both of which would yield several shields (number depending on the size of the shields) and for a reasonable price. So I'll probably be getting some later for shield building experiments. Gotta make some swords, maces and such first.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #154 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I just looked at the rules PDF for Knight Realms -- a long running and very popular East Coast larp -- and their rulebook is 395 pages long.  Smiley
I suddenly don't feel so bad about the length of the rulebook I'm writing.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #155 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 3:01am
Print Post  
I'm adding the section about Godkin to the rulebook tonight. I also got the completed price list for "Clothing, Shoes and Accessories" put in and the rules are currently 345 pages long. I shifted "place holders" into it to get an idea of how long it was getting to be and I expect the page count to change as tables are completely filled in and edited. Still, this puppy is gonna be over 400 pages although I'm hoping that it won't be TOO much over!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #156 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I'm going to have to rework the origin of the Prometheans for both the larp and the books. I have a can of contradictory worms otherwise. *sigh* I'll have to see EXACTLY what I said about their origins in the books. Hopefully, not much!

In other news I found some interesting "how to's" last night. One for building "walls" out of PVC and tarps that can be broken down and hauled easily and another for making latex mask molds and the masks themselves. Very interesting and the "walls" especially have my little brain scheming...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #157 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Dang! Reworking the intro to the Prometheans that I have in Book 2 will have to be done. And I will as soon as I decide how to to do it. There are at least two ways that I can go, maybe three. I'll have to mull them over and see what works the best.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #158 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Did some "mulling" and I'm closing in on the way I'm going to go. I also dug around and got an answer to a larp "logistics" question. Now all I have to do is write it up and be fair about it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #159 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I'm finding this very interesting. It's certainly an ambitious project.

https://www.facebook.com/LARPCity

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #160 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
This is interesting too....

http://www.roseandthornarmory.com/

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #161 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:45pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #162 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 12:49am
Print Post  
I've been doing more "mulling" and realized that to map out Samgara using a system similar to "longitude and latitude" would require me to map out the whole planet in order to know how wide each section of the grid was since the closer you get to the poles, the narrower the degrees get. So. I've decided to go with a grid system. Each section will be either a square 160 miles on a side or a rectangle 160 miles by 240 miles -- I haven't decided yet. I can get away with doing that because ENORMOUS sections of the planet are unexplored and uninhabited and I'll be focusing my attention on the inhabited areas and the areas nearby. I "will" have to make a small(ish) "master map" on which I will divide the main continent up into those sections so I can assign a designation to each one. THEN, I'll be able to start making the smaller maps for the city-states -- of which I may have to add a few. Not sure yet. I've already told Skywise that I need to go to United Art and Education the next time we're in that neighborhood so I can get the paper I need. I'm also going to get the BIGGEST drawing board that they carry since I'll need a large smooth surface to work on and while the work station IS large, the surface is not smooth since the top is not one solid piece with no seams.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #163 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I found a new larp last night. It sounds intriguing but unfortunately, it's in Georgia. Still, I'm going to download their rulebook when I have lots of megabytes to spare so I can find out how they do things.

In other news, I found a blog article about how to build modular rooms, pillars and tunnels for larps. The frames are built of PVC pipe and can be broken down into 40 inch long sections for transport with whatever is going to be hung from them put up "onsite." After reading through them last night, I realized that they are woefully incomplete. The author starts off okay but then leaves out about half the instructions and THEN gives the additional materials list to make a "room" but doesn't say HOW to make the basic design -- which is incomplete, remember -- into a room. *sigh* So if I want complete instructions on how to do this -- and I do -- I'll have to use "trial and error" to learn how and then write the instructions myself with my own illustrations/pictures. Fortunately, I'm pretty good at figuring such things out. He mentioned where he first saw them so I'm hoping that I can track down the original source. That would simplify things enormously.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #164 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 5:11am
Print Post  
*sigh* I wasn't able to track down any other instructions for that freestanding modular room frame so I'm going to have to figure it out on my own. I was able to pick up some of the necessary parts in town today so I can fiddle with them and get an idea of how things "should" go together. The original poster used half inch diameter PVC for the uprights in the design and the crossbars and I really think that is too lightweight so I'm planning on making mine with 3/4 inch diameter pipe. It will be more expensive -- but not THAT much -- and a bit heavier but "heavy" is not a bad thing if you want your construct to stay upright when the wind hits it. I'm thinking that some sandbags placed at regular intervals when the units are used outdoors would be a good idea. It probably wouldn't be necessary indoors since it would likely be stable enough once everything was lashed together. That's another thing he failed to mention -- the best way to fasten the individual units together to make dungeon tunnels, caves and the like. I'm already thinking of ways to make "roundish" rooms. The plumbing department is a treasure trove of ideas. Think giant "tinker toys!"

"PVC pipe.... it isn't just for plumbing anymore!"

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #165 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 2:23am
Print Post  
I'm definitely going to have to build one of these modular units so I can figure out how to do it. This knucklehead may know how to build things but he does NOT know how to write clear, understandable instructions! I'm trying to figure it out by looking at the photos but there aren't enough of them. And they AREN'T closeups so there isn't as much detail as you need. Smiley I'm all for being "economical" with words but there is such a thing as taking it too far!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #166 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I've come to the conclusion that I should scrap that guy's instructions and create my own design. I have a feeling that mine will be a lot sturdier than his since he doesn't seem to realize that a long(ish) span of PVC pipe will sag under its own weight if it isn't supported and that 1/2 diameter PVC pipe will bend even faster when supporting weight. I was thinking about it on the ride down to Bloomington this morning and came up with a design modification that his design would need. That's when I concluded that I needed to start more or less from scratch. First step.... diagrams.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #167 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I took my daily walk and did some thinking about these modular frames and I'm starting to get ideas on how to do it and how they could be modified for more variety. I'm currently making notes...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #168 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 1:26am
Print Post  
I've got most of the instructions roughed in with the right names for the fittings and illustrations. The "final assembly" step is going to take some thought and I'll probably have to make a prototype to figure out the best way for it to go together. I probably won't get to that until next summer but it doesn't have to go into the rulebook so it can wait.

Post # 33,654
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2014 at 1:29am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #169 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Skywise is home and I've been babbling at him about PVC pipe, male and female screw in adapters, couplings and 90 degree PVC Schedule 40 Side Outlet Elbows and he says I'm making sense so I must not be as far gone as I'd thought!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #170 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Iz happy! I had no luck today finding the Side Outlet 90 degree elbows in the size I needed at Home Depot but I DID find exactly the same thing on Amazon in "furniture grade" which will work PERFECTLY for what I'm going to use them for. The price is comparable and even with postage (which I got a break on because I ordered 2 sets of 8 instead of 1) it's a good deal when you factor in the price of the gas used while driving around trying to find them and our time. THEN, I found 4 way connectors (see below) that will also be very useful for making large "rooms" that need support across the top -- especially with the design calls for a "roof" on the room. So I ordered an 8 piece set of those too! So while I probably won't be putting together any prototypes before spring, I WILL be able to do some preliminary experiments and photography for the Prop Manual.

FORMUFIT_4_way_connector.jpg ( 12 KB | Downloads )
FORMUFIT_4_way_connector.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #171 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 2:28am
Print Post  
I was just telling Moonie that she's gonna be my model for the costume section of the rulebook and she's informed me that she wants a ballgown.
I can do that.....  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #172 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I REALLY hope that they can pull this off. Just wish that the Great Lakes area wasn't so far down on the list. *sigh*

http://www.larpcityproject.com/about/public-business-plan/

Post # 60,700 for the site
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2014 at 2:50am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #173 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 3:31am
Print Post  
According to USPS tracking, I should get my PVC parts on Thursday which means I "should" have time to play around with them before the snow flies. Yippeeeee!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #174 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Skywise and I did some experimenting with pvc pipe and various fittings and the first configuration that we tried worked. We didn't have enough pipe to make it freestanding but the design (an arch using 45 and 90 degree elbows) is tall enough to serve as a doorway. I'll be getting more pipe as I can for more experiments.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Send TopicPrint