Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16477 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Reply #75 - May 22nd, 2014 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
I've managed to get my hands on an out of print copy of Cthulhu Live - Second Edition. I won't be using it in my game but.. it contains instructions on how to costume actors as the various sanity destroying monsters found in the game.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2014 at 5:58pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #76 - May 23rd, 2014 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
My larping research bears out my original impression which is that most larps (but not all) follow NERO's basic outline -- especially the fantasy/medieval ones -- including rules about combat and the different races and their relationships to each other. There may be minor tweaks to "make it unique!" but basically they're all the same. The IFGS developed independently (based on the Dream Park novels) but they are VERY top heavy with "required" staff. So much so that it appears many times one person will have to hold several staffing positions in order to fill the requirements. Additionally, they require that any proposed game be submitted to the national organization to be approved before it can be officially played. Finding that out produced an immediate "what the hell?!" reaction. I mean seriously... Then there is Knights Realm. KR is unique in that it is a total immersion experience from start to finish with no "down time." As far as I know, there is only one KR game running with -- last I checked -- between 100 and 200 participants at each event. Smiley KR has enormous staffing needs too but given the number of people taking part, it's understandable. The owner of KR was able to buy a Girl Scout camp so finding a venue for the monthly events isn't a problem although the mortgage and improvements are. For that reason, KR operates as a business that aims to turn a profit. The other larps I've been looking at range from a zombie apocalypse (Dystopia Rising) to a modern day superhero larp (Capes!) and I'm trying to pull the best ideas I've come across, come up with some of my own and put them all together and hopefully get something that works reasonably well.  And since I like to get things as right as possible the first time, I'm making a lot of decisions now when I can take the time to really think about them rather than coming up on a situation that needs a decision NOW and scrambling to find one which may turn out to be less than ideal after the fact.
Comparatively speaking, the rulebook is gonna be HUGE.... Smiley
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2014 at 11:11pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #77 - May 24th, 2014 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I'm thinking of running off a copy of the price lists and filling that in from the books and then filling in lists on the computer. Trying to transfer the information from the books (two of which are HUGE) to the word document is slow going and copying it by hand to a printed page and THEN to the word document would be much faster. If I don't get on that this weekend, I'll get started on it Tuesday after Skywise goes back to work.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #78 - May 25th, 2014 at 4:24am
Print Post  
I've written up and added three "botanicals" to the game. I'll still need to write them up in HERO System 5th Edition but since I know what they do and how they do it, it shouldn't be hard to find something similar that I can tweak to get what I've described. That's the beauty of the HERO System, if you can imagine it, you can create it using the system and usually find two or three ways to do it.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2014 at 5:59pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #79 - May 25th, 2014 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Eeekkkk! Smiley I just did a quick count of the pages I've written so far for the rulebook: 422 give or take a couple. More Smiley And I haven't even started writing the combat rules yet..... And once again... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #80 - May 26th, 2014 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Tomorrow, I'm gonna slip downstairs and commandeer the computer (which has a printer) and run off the price lists so I can start filling them in. Once a page is filled, I'll transfer the info to the word doc. I'm hoping the job won't be so overwhelming that way.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #81 - May 26th, 2014 at 4:31am
Print Post  
I am indecently pleased. I have located a company that makes tokens of all kinds and they have designs that would serve as money in a larp. I happened across a larp's photo of their "money" and started googling using various search keywords and finally located the place where they probably got them. They're made of metal and are a bit out of our price range but someday, who knows? They also do "custom" designs so you know what is perking in the back of my mind...
BUT, it's just gonna have to stay back there! Now someday, if the need arises and the cash is there, we may change out the plastic "money" we'll be starting out with and replace it with metal. We'll just have to see and I have the website bookmarked, just in case. 
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2014 at 4:34am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #82 - May 28th, 2014 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Thinking that adding a selection of common "martial arts" weapons would be a good idea. Must research. Fortunately, I have The Ultimate Martial Artist, HERO Games 5th Edition. Gonna get the price tables I ALREADY HAVE filled in first.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #83 - May 28th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
.... I have NO idea how much 10 armor piercing arrowheads weigh but it's probably more than "regular" hunting arrowheads and I have some of those, a sensitive postal scale and a calculator.
Time to weigh stuff and do math.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #84 - May 29th, 2014 at 4:31am
Print Post  
Just found this place. As a gal who finds the idea of tossing a bird seed filled packet a poor substitute for pulling a bow, I LIKE this guy and what he's doing.

https://www.facebook.com/FuriousFoam

There will be research and lots of it before I commit but I'm leaning toward using bows.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2014 at 4:36am by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #85 - May 29th, 2014 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I was thinking about the archery thing last night and I realized that turning the absolutely clueless loose with a bow -- even a certified larp safe one -- is a singularly bad idea. So I came up with a compromise: a tough qualifying test for anyone wanting to use a larp bow that requires some actually knowledge of/experience with a real bow and proven ability to hit the target. Anyone who couldn't pass the testing (or didn't feel comfortable using a bow and arrow) would be required to use the beanbags. I've got a rough idea of what the testing will involve (the IFGS has archery testing) I just have to work out the specifics and then test them on myself. I'll be getting my archery target set up as soon as I have something to field test.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #86 - May 29th, 2014 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Just went to Amazon and ordered the newest edition of the BSA Archery merit badge book that I could find. It's not the current (2013) edition which I'll probably get when I can find it but I expect that it will have the information I need to set up a testing protocol. I'm not interested in how many arrows a shooter can get off in a set period of time, I'm interested in accuracy 'cause even with larp-safe weapons, the head, throat and groin are off limits as targets and I want to know that if someone is shooting an arrow at another player playing a NPC, they know what they're doing!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #87 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Still thinking about the archery question. I've been working on the archery section of the rulebook even though the BSA merit badge book I ordered is still out West someplace. I've also been thinking about liability insurance and what having "live fire archery" would do to our rates. One thing I'm going to have to research is the possibility of requiring the individual archers to have the appropriate insurance independent of the group. If that could be done, then the players that wanted to use bows could without the group having to pay inflated insurance rates. Something else to look into but not right now. Too much other stuff to do first!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #88 - Jun 4th, 2014 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I'm still working on the price lists. Smiley I've just finished a chart that will make it a lot easier determine prices for weapons and equipment. In the HERO System, you obtain "stuff" one of two ways. In the "Superhero" type campaigns, you buy equipment with "points" -- either character points you get at the outset or experience points that you earn during play. In the "Heroic" type campaigns, you pay with "money" that you get when you start out or that you accumulate during the campaign. The problem I was running into was that there are a lot of things that should be including in a Samgaran based campaign that are only available in "Superhero" campaigns -- like Our Hero's beloved Mountain Eagle handguns (aka .50 Desert Eagles). Fortunately I found an accepted formula to convert point costs to dollar costs and after deciding on the multipliers I've made up a table that I can consult when putting these items (mostly firearms and related methods of mayhem) in the price lists. I'm going to have to design a slightly larger "Item Card" for the weapons though since I don't know "now" how much of the game information will be needed during a larp.
Creating a larp is a lot of work. Good thing I already had a "world" ready to go....
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2014 at 6:56pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #89 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
The BSA Merit Badge book for Archery is scheduled to hit the mailbox today so I "should" be able to finish that section of the larp rules this afternoon.

I originally intended to use both packets (which are very small and filled with birdseed) and small beanbags for "delivery" of various "thrown" things but apparently there is a very high "loss" rate for the packets, probably due to their small size so I've about decided to go with beanbags exclusively. The beanbags are bigger (between 2.5 and 4 inches square) and therefore easier to find. Easier to throw too! It's either that or make the packets bigger.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2014 at 4:29pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #90 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I've managed to come up with enough colors and color combinations to let me ditch the packets. It will be easy to throw and find beanbags in my larp.

The BSA manual has arrived. It isn't as helpful as I'd hoped but between it and the IFGS rulebook, I'm coming up with a protocol for archery testing that should insure that anyone who takes up the bow in my larp can shoot reasonably accurately.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #91 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 2:58am
Print Post  
I've got the archery testing protocol pretty much done. Some fine tuning may be needed but I think that scoring 175 points or better on three flights of 10 arrows each for certification gives a reasonable expectation that the shooter will hit what he/she is aiming at. The target is a standard 15.75 inches wide and the distance is 60 feet/20 yards.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #92 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 3:48am
Print Post  
WHY are all the really interesting sounding larps on the East Coast? I was looking for testing protocols for boffer weapons and found another larp. Seems like you can't take a step on the coast without falling over a larp.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #93 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 5:25am
Print Post  
I FINALLY found a "safety test protocol" for larp hand weapons that I've rewritten to make it more concise and less repetitive. [How many sentences can you start with "Also" before the reader's eyes glaze over?] I'm going to have to get some supplies together and start making test weapons while photographing the process. I have a bunch of pdfs about weapon construction but I consider them under copyright and I won't use them and especially the photos/illustrations for my larp rule book. So I'll have to take my own photographs and write my own instructions.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #94 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I've been looking over the group that I found last night and it's got me thinking. They refer to what they do as an "Interactive Gaming Environment" rather than "Live Action Role-Playing" contending that "LARP" has connotations that they'd prefer not to have applied to them. I can see their point. Roleplaying games started getting a bad rap back in the late 70's/early 80's when a couple of distraught mothers decided to blame their disturbed sons' suicides on the fact that they played roleplaying games and the media -- always looking for a juicy story that they can exploit without too much work -- enabled them in their crusade to label roleplaying games as "satanic" and those who played them as either dangerous, deluded, delusional or all of the above. The fact that the streets have not been filled with satanically possessed teenagers killing everyone in sight after a night of playing D & D doesn't seem to have helped much in dispelling that image.*sigh* So now I'm thinking: Do I call my game "Live-Action Roleplaying" or something else? And if I call it something else, what do I call it that accurately describes what it is? Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #95 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 2:18am
Print Post  
I've been working on the "Code of Conduct" this afternoon in between chores. It's sad that things like that need to be spelled out but I know from experience that saying "play nice" doesn't work worth a damn. [VE can back me up on that!] So obvious things like "Don't cheat" and "Don't bully the other players" and "Stealing will get you thrown out" have to be put in black and while. The penalties have to be spelled out too. *sigh*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #96 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 5:15am
Print Post  
I found another "independent" larp that I'm studying. I'm determined to learn as much as I can from as many sources as possible. I'll download their rulebook when I have extra megabytes which will probably be tomorrow since it will be "Monday" and Skywise has been getting home at nearly 2 am every Monday for weeks now.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #97 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Still doing "weapon" research. There are at least three larps I've found that use "larp-safe" arrows with regular bows with draw weights of 30 to 35 pounds. This idea appeals to me (my bow is a 25 to 30 pound one) since it seems to me -- aside from the aesthetic considerations -- that using a "real" bow rather than a prop made of PVC or some other material would be safer to use for shooting arrows from the standpoint of accuracy which is a prime consideration when your target is another player. Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #98 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 1:58am
Print Post  
It's beginning to look like the "Safe Weapons Construction Manual" part of the rulebook may need to be a separate book. This sucker is getting LONG!

And I haven't even gotten the character generation tables pasted in yet.... Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #99 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Pleased.
Figured out how to make a larp-safe blackjack/truncheon and have added it to the Weapons Construction Manual.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Send TopicPrint