Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING! (Read 16418 times)
Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Re: Thinking about getting in trouble... STOP LAUGHING!
Reply #125 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I've managed to copy the info for most of the semi-automatic pistols that I have data for onto index cards -- easier to sort that way -- and I'll finish that job tonight or tomorrow. The CHAMPIONS larp isn't going to be any help with combat resolution and damage. The system used there involves much clicking of stopwatches and comparing of numbers which will NOT fly in a larp with boffer combat. Soooooooo...... more research to see how other larps do it.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #126 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 4:48am
Print Post  
I've just about have all the info on the index cards transferred to a word document. I'll finish up tomorrow. STILL thinking about how to "do" combat and calculate damage.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #127 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 4:41am
Print Post  
I got all the info for "semi-automatic pistols" entered into the proper tables. The character generation section is up to 160 pages and I don't have the entire price lists entered yet. It will probably be over 200 pages before it's done. I really don't think I'll be able to cut it down much since I want to make character generation as quick and easy as possible and THAT means a lot of pre-generated "package deals" for various professions for plugging into the "race templates" and a large enough selection of options so that the characters are unique and different from the start and not stereotypes with different names. I really don't understand how some people can write up something in a month or less and expect it to work. I feel sorry for the people they inflict their efforts on. At least when I go hunting for playtesters, I'll have something solid for them to test...

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #128 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
It's looking like "combat" may have to be "built" from the ground up. *See Penth surrounded by gaming books and various props as she works out the particulars......*

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #129 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
One thing about putting this larp together is that it's making me really THINK about Samgara. For instance: the matter of guns. I've already decided that sub-machine guns, machine guns, assault rifles and most even heavier personal arms were never developed on Samgara. The reason for this is that the conditions that spurred their development here did not occur there. "War" as it has occurred here over the whole of human history is what has driven the development of weapons technology. On Samgara, war on the scale of hundreds of thousands of troops involved simply has not happened. It is only during the last thousand years or so that war has become a problem. I'm getting an idea of why that is which is good from a "world building" standpoint. I'm currently debating whether or not to include shotguns and rifles in the game at all. If I do, the rifles will be "light to medium" weight and not do so much damage as to unbalance the game. Then too, there is the problem of finding a suitable "physical representation" of a rifle or shotgun for the game.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #130 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
It has occurred to me that finding a "physical representation" of a Hidden Bay blaster rifle would be easier than finding one for a rifle or shotgun thanks to STAR WARS.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #131 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 4:56am
Print Post  
It occurs to me that finding the photos I took of WD demonstrating the basic strikes and blocks of sword fighting. I took them years ago before we had digital cameras but they should be around here someplace. I also just found a book that "should" help with my "combat system" research. *sigh* I'd hoped I was done buying books for a while.....

WHO THE HELL AM I KIDDING?!

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #132 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 5:04am
Print Post  
I'm gonna be "good" and not order the book tonight 'cause if I can wait just a little bit longer -- three weeks probably -- I should have enough points on my Discover card to let me get the book for free which would definitely take the "sting" out of it and I can spend the time figuring out how "damage" in going to work using the HERO System. So I have it on my Amazon browsing list and I'll be checking my points total periodically. All that lumber and shingles we got to fix the porch roof on the Guest House and put on my Discover "should" be reflected in my points total by the next billing cycle.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #133 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I've been poking around the facebook pages of a couple of larp groups that had events this weekend. It looks like they had fun. One group -- a superhero larp -- had a battle that involved "super soakers" which given the weather this weekend probably felt glorious. The other group had a game -- with a feast afterward -- on Saturday and a "work day" at their venue on Sunday. I hope that Bradford Woods gave them a serious discount in return for their labor. Installing drainage ditches is hard, hot work under the best of circumstances and Sunday was NOT the best day to be doing hard labor outside. Hopefully there was MUCH water and Gatorade available!
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2014 at 5:51pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #134 - Jul 16th, 2014 at 3:52am
Print Post  
At some point, when this larp of mine is getting off the ground, one or more YouTubes will have to be made to show the world how much fun we're having. Moonie has already been drafted to be the NPC "damsel in distress..."  Smiley

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #135 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Last night, Skywise pointed out a potential problem with having modern firearms in the larp. Which is that every player will want a firearm to the exclusion of all other weapons and he had a point. Sooo I put on my thinking cap even though it was past my bedtime and considered. Two "classic" sayings on Samgara are: "A horse always works." A statement that reflects the possibility that your vehicle with it's internal combustion engine might end up in an area where there was no fuel available for it or the unique properties of the local tech suppression field suppressed internal combustion. The second saying is: "A sword always works." The meaning of that is obvious -- sometimes a gun doesn't work. After that it took about five minutes to figure out the outline of a "Firearm suppression field with area effect" spell. Throw in a "force field" into it and you pretty much put a sniper with a rifle out of business. I'll have to write it up for the spell book but with this outline I'll be able to do it without too much difficulty and I've already assigned a "safety orange" beanbag to represent the spell when it's cast. Now all I have to do is decide which rifles and shotguns to include.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #136 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Thinking about the "Props" and "Costumes" sections of the rulebook. I picked up a 5 x 7 bound notebook with a "poly" cover which is tough and can take a lot of punishment but it doesn't look like it belongs in an "otherworldly" or "fantasy" setting. So I'm going to see what I can do about that. It would be a LOT easier if it had a cardboard cover and if I see any 5 x 7 bound notebooks with cardboard covers, I'll be grabbing them too!
As far as costumes are concerned, I'm going to be making up some "sample" costumes in Moonie and Skywise's sizes so I can photograph them for illustrations......

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #137 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I found a book at Half Price Books that collects illustrations of early 1950's clothing and accessories from Sears catalogs from the era. I anticipate being able to fill in a LOT of blank spaces in the price lists using this book. Things like "weight" will still have to be figured out using current things and scales but having the prices will take out a whole category of guesswork. I also picked up a couple of costume patterns. One will do nicely as an adventuring outfit for a woman and the other is a "court dress" suitable for a Queen, Princess or other high ranking lady. Best of all, it doesn't look "period" or like a prom dress.

McCall_s_M6940_View_B.jpg ( 46 KB | Downloads )
McCall_s_M6940_View_B.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #138 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
This is the "adventuring" outfit. It comes with two skirts: the one pictured and a floor length one and since the skirts are separate, you could wear the top with pants for a third "look." And this outfit doesn't look "period" either.

M6941.jpg ( 26 KB | Downloads )
M6941.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #139 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
I was right. This book I bought today about "fashionable clothing from the Sears catalog early 1950s" is a big help in filling in the the "clothing" part of the price lists. "Clothing" is just about all filled in. I still have to get some numbers from Pulp Hero and make a "guesstimate" about some others but the clothing list is just about done.
And the rulebook is up to 314 pages give or take. [The Table of contents and the title page are currently numbered. I'll be changing that so they aren't when I print it out although I may be stuck with it when I make it a pdf unless I make two pdfs which I may do 'cause I'm weird like that!]

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #140 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 4:30am
Print Post  
I've been working on the magick system for the larp tonight. There's a LOT of work to be done there, mainly writing the spells, but I need to hammer out how much it costs in character points to advance from one level to another and how much it costs to get started on a magickal path. Smiley Filling in tables is the easy part. Smiley

Post # 33,400

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #141 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I went poking around in my bookmarks today and found the one for the "subdomain" I set up for Sanctuary a few years ago. It wasn't used for its intended purpose but it's still there on the hosting company's server sooo...... I checked to make sure it was in working order, changed the name of it on my bookmark list and moved it into the bookmark folder I've set up for my larp. When the time comes, I'll use it as a forum for the larp. And don't worry, D. I'll enlist your aid in getting it set up so I don't make a mess that you have to clean up to keep the whole site from exploding! It won't be for a while yet -- I'm thinking next year at the earliest given how long it's taking to get the rules compiled/written -- so no worries. I'm going to need graphics for it after all and I've barely started on those. Same deal with the facebook page. Yeah, I'm going to have both -- facebook group and forum. Each of them have their advantages and since I already HAVE a forum set up and facebook groups aren't that hard to set up -- given that they are as thick as dandelions in the spring -- I think I'm in pretty good shape as far as online "presence" is concerned. But I am NOT going to start recruiting players until I have something solid for them to play and that probably means next spring at the earliest. I'm observing carefully and learning from the "epic fails!" I see happening to others. It is my intention to avoid the most obvious ones although knowing me, I'll probably come up with some new ones of my own!
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:22pm by Penthesilea »  

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #142 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:43am
Print Post  
What bugs me about most larps and most tabletop RPGs is that you can only be one "thing" as a rule. You're a warrior or a magick user or a priest or a knight with NO overlap allowed. You can't be a warrior who has "healer training" (i.e. a military medic) or a magick user who knows how to fight (Gandolf) or a priestess of a WarGod or Goddess who knows her way around a sword.
Which is unrealistic in addition to being.. well .. boring.
Another thing. You are required to start out as a rank newbie with the lowest possible stats.
Do you know what happens to an adventuring party that is made up entirely of low level characters?
A massacre is what happens unless whoever is running the scenario is damned careful. And even so, things don't always go as planned and you end up with a body count that makes you cringe.

One of the things that attracted me to the HERO System is that you don't HAVE to be "one thing." If you want to spend the points you CAN be a warrior who knows battlefield surgery. You CAN be both a priestess and a warrior. And if the situation is a little too hectic to cast spells, your Warrior Mage CAN wade in with sword or staff and break heads. And I'm giving my players -- when I have some -- the opportunity to create the character THEY want to play. So yeah, if someone has an idea for a character who was apprenticed to an accountant before discovering that he/she had a real talent for magick, they can play that. A ruthless, kick-butt, "take no prisoners" warrior who learned healing arts from a battlefield healer? Yeah, it's possible. The spy that is also a member of the Pleasure Workers' Guild? You bet! I believe that this flexibility will be one of the things that sets this larp apart. At least I hope so.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #143 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Since I don't want to get into copyright infringement type trouble, I'm going to have to start working on illustrations for the rulebook. That means building some weapons and props, making costumes, drawing diagrams and taking lots and lots of photos. And, lest I forget, writing and editing the rulebook -- all "what looks like 400+ pages" of it. Smiley I hope it doesn't turn out to be that big but dang it! I've seen too many "skimpy" rules sets lately, especially in the area of creating characters so I'm being as complete as I can be about it.
Once I get it done, I'll have to see about licensing from HERO for the parts of their system I use. I'm hoping that it won't be too complicated since I'm not using the current edition of the rules.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #144 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 4:49am
Print Post  
I've been working on another section of Character Creation tonight. It's currently at 10 pages and will probably be 12 or 13 when I'm done with the tables and put the examples in.

This rulebook is gonna be HUGE....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #145 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
It occurred to me that the simplest and least expensive way to keep "counterfeit" item tags out of a game would be to generate a random multi-digit number for each game and stamp it on the back of each tag. If a tag didn't have that number on it, then it would be invalid. It would certainly save on printing costs.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #146 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
I ran across a battle game site that suggests that players add basic weightlifting belts to their outfits the reasoning being that the heavy leather at the back of the belt would provide some protection for that area which IS a legal target in both battle games and larps.
Yeah, I'm thinking..
I also found this......

Larp_ON_.jpg ( 21 KB | Downloads )
Larp_ON_.jpg

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #147 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 12:52am
Print Post  
I've been working on the larp today and trying to figure out how to do "in game" things I did in the novels. The wolfkin are presenting a problem and there are some other things that work perfectly well in the books and in a table top game that could become serious PITAs in live-action. Like Winnie the Pooh, I think and it's giving me a headache.....

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #148 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 4:04am
Print Post  
I've been working on filling in forms for character generation all night and my eyes are killing me. Since I've started making stupid mistakes, it is time to quit. With additions, deletions and general editing, the rule book is currently at 300 pages with more (lots more *sigh*) to be added. I just want to get all the tables filled in so I start working on the hard stuff (combat) and the creative stuff (creating the setting). When those are done, I'll be looking at the light at the end of the tunnel.

IP Logged

Penthesilea
Forum Administrator

Warrior Queen, DarkLady,
Phoenix, Ghostbuster

Reply #149 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Just found this site. Hopefully I'll be listing on it by this time next year. I'm already thinking about what the listing should say...

http://www.larping.org/larps/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Send TopicPrint